Curse You Pete Skaar 🤭

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pvt64
E5

Curse You Pete Skaar 🤭

Post by pvt64 »

Pete's beautiful M4 Shermans have pushed me over the edge to start WWII too. Starting with the 1941-42 Philippines Campaign. :D :D

BurtWolf
E5

Re: Curse You Pete Skaar :))

Post by BurtWolf »

Man that is intriguing - Philippines Campaign! Love to see that done!

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

My stuff will never match Pete's but I'll still try but stuck doing modern still. Maybe when I go to WWII, though I'd like to build Canadians.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

That Pete Skaar guy, he's such a nuisance! LOL! Thank you all very much!

Tom, good luck with your WWII Philippines project. I am not sure what you would use for American/Filipino infantry but perhaps the British WWII infantry might be close enough with the helmet type.

If you decide to do Philippines 1944-1945 then you can use the same terrain but add in your regular American infantry and some Shermans as well.

Pete

pvt64
E5

Post by pvt64 »

Pete,
My plan is to use WW1 British in helmets as Americans. At 6mm I figure that it's close enough.

Tom

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Tom! Are you planning to use WWI or WWII British for your early American WWII? Truthfully there is not too much difference from a distance as we alluded to. If using WWI, did you have a particular brand in mind other than GHQ which does not currently make any WWI stuff except if you count the FT-17 in their WWII French line.

Pete

pvt64
E5

Post by pvt64 »

Pete,
Was planning on using Baccus WWI British for the infantry and artillery. The infantry should be close enough; the artillery there was rebored British guns from WWI. They had 2 battalions of M3 light tanks and a cavalry regiment still on horses. They even had British Universal Carriers as they seized them off of a freighter that had been bound for Hong Kong and used them to mechanize an infantry battalion. They also were still using 2.95" mountain guns from the Spanish American War.

Tom

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

It sounds like a lot of interesting equipment for the Americans. I know they had M-3s but I did not know about the Universal Carriers or the re-bored British WWI artillery pieces.

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

"Curse you, Pete Skaar!"

Indeed. This guy is responsible for getting me involved with Microarmor in the first place. And it looks like it's a terminal addiction.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

pvt64
E5

Post by pvt64 »

Begemont you are spot on!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks Begemot and Tom! I am happy to expand the world of micro armor, and especially GHQ micro armor, for more people. I started into GHQ around 1981 after using the models in tabletop exercises in my Armor Officer Advanced Course. My obsession really started in the mid 80s after I got back from Germany and GHQ was expanding their line and replacing their older models with new ones like the Tiger I, Panther, Tiger II, T-34, KV-1 etc.

panzergator
E5

Re: Curse You Pete Skaar 🤭

Post by panzergator »

You weren't far behind me. I finished AOAC in '79. Got my addiction to GHQ after the big AOAC Dunn-Kempf game session, too.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Ahh! AOAC. Those were some good times as I recall. I got to Ft. Knox in October 1980 and left in May 1981 getting ready to go to 3AD in Germany. I remember getting my first GHQ T-62s, BMP-1s, and BTR-60s at the Cav Store. One of my classmates and friend bought some M-1s at the same time. My first paint jobs were just a basic green color for the Russians using Imrie-Risley Paints that I had left over from my figure painting days.

Needless to say, I have learned a few things since that time but the addiction continues.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

So, you went right into the Canadian Army while still in college, Cama? That is pretty impressive.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

You went from AOAC to 3AD? Where in 3AD? I left Friedberg (3BDE, 3AD) in 78 for AOAC. After AOAC, it was on to 5ID at Ft. Polk. It was a bit of a shock to after 3AD. Bn Cdr wanted a TV in the TOC so he coukd watch football games during tank gunnery. I wouldn't do ut for him. I couldn't imagine a tank bn cdr watchinf a foitball game while his crews were shooting. I surely missed 3AD and Germany while at Ft. Polk. EVERY SINGLE GD'D DAY! I still miss it. Went back to 8ID eventually. Still not the same, but better than 5th Mech, where the bde cdr always blew the bridges BEFORE he withdrew his armor. @#$&@@#!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.