For the camo painters

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

panzergator
E5

For the camo painters

Post by panzergator »

Just received my copy of Tankograd No. 3041, REFORGER 77. This is a REFORGER I participated in as an umpire assigned to 73rd Armor. This issue showcases well the camouflage schemes some of the units sported at a specific point - September, 1977. You can see vehicles in OD, USAREUR MASSTER, and MERDC. Some of the colors require judgement, as the angle of the sun reflecting off the vehicle can distort the actual color, the M113s on page 18 being a particularly egregious example. Nevertheless, this is a very useful reference for the transitions taking place in the '70s.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Begemot
E5

Re: For the camo painters

Post by Begemot »

Panzergator - I played in that game. The only distinctive memory I have, besides the usual back-of-the-lot tour of Germany, was driving into some woods and encountering a platoon from the 101st who were wholly consumed in some major b*tch session among themselves, like a flock of squabbling sparrows. They paid us no mind and we continued on our way.

Anyway, I just scored a copy of this book for myself. Thanks for the heads-up.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Should you order this book, you will see the variety of camo worn in '77. Obviously, not all units painting MERDC had to do without the light sand color. We, in 3-32AR, didn't have it, though, so we filled in with more black. In '75, in 1-32AR, when we first drew our M60A2s, they remained OD, although by '77, A2s were appearing in MERDC. Equipment drawn from POMCUS for units coming over from Stateside were usually OD. Many units hadn't painted MERDC yet and were still wearing the USAREUR MASSTER. When units are in different camo schemes, it makes it easier for the enemy to identify units and gives clues to their capabilities. For instance, a unit wearing OD is probably from the States and therefore less familiar with the terrain or operating conditions, or might be 1st Infantry Division(forward) - "Hey, look up their unit commanders and brief me on their strengths and weaknesses."

There are several diagrams for company/troop level units. The A2 unit from 3rd Infantry Division reflects a 4th M151 and an M548 which A2 companies in 3AD did not have (a difference in MTOE, likely). The USAREUR regimental armored cavalry troop is depicted correctly with platoons of 6 Sheridans (divisional troops had 3), 2 M113 scouts, and 4.2 mortar carrier. Although I have read that A2 units in 3rd Infantry Division were broken up, trading away two companies away to A1 units and receiving two in return, leaving three battalions with two A1 companies ans one A2 company, this doesn't appear to be the case, according to this book. In 3rd Armored, A2 battalions remained pure and cross-attached with mech battalions in accordance with the mission.

The diagrams in this book are all H series and include the regimental cavalry troop, an M60A2 company, and a combat engineer company. This book is useful for camo schemes or organizing your company level units, as well as getting some insight in the trials of unit operations in the '70s.
Last edited by panzergator on Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I will talk to my brother. He was in the 82nd at the time. May have been his unit.

I umpired in '75 with D/1/2ACR, and umpired 73rd Armor in '77. In 83, my brigade ran the VIP operation.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Clarification... ALL M60A2s in the book are wearing MERDC Forest green abd brown orimary colirs with sand and black highlights. Although some appear to have the USAREUR MASSTER, that is field dirt and dust.