Antiquity Range?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Daritus

Antiquity Range?

Post by Daritus »

Looking on the Quality of your Models - how about an Antiquity Range?

Only a opinion and idea...

panzergator
E5

Re: Antiquity Range?

Post by panzergator »

Rome and Carthage? Teutoberg Forest? Interesting thought.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

It is indeed an interesting though! It makes me wonder how much crossover there is between time periods and scales there is. I'm sure those of us who consider ourselves to me amateur military historians find the different time periods to be of interest, but would we be willing to start a new collection? I try to limit myself to modern micro armor these days, but the idea of putting a complete legion together on the tabletop is pretty appealing. I'm sure my wife would have something to say about me starting a new model range.

I'm sure GHQ could make some superb models if they wanted to though. Of course, they would need to model a ballista, catapult, and a trebuchet as well for us artillerists!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I do not anticipate attempting to paint even ONE centurion, no matter how much I enjoy the history of Rome and its army.

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

I could totally see getting into that. It'd be years though. I want my moderns done first. I've seen 6mm figs for ancients through napoleonics but the quality was a good bit below GHQ.

Daritus

Post by Daritus »

There are many 6mm Ancient Ranges, but none has the Quality of GHQ Infantry...

Easier Periods to start would be:

Wars of the Diadochi / Hellenistic Period
The Armies of Alexander the Great's Successors were very similary. The Core were Hellenistic Phalangites Infantry and Lance Armed Light and Heavy Cavalry (Light one is named Prodromoi, heavy one is named Xystophoroi) are supported by Skimishers with Bows, Slings and Jevelins. There were still Greek Hoplites as Mercenaries in use and Local Native Auxillaries were recruited. There were many Sieges with new "State of the Art" Ballista Types like the giant Lithobolos, but also more common Ballistae were used.

Late Antiquity / The Fall of the Western Roman Empire
In the Late Period of the Roman Empire, the destinction between Roman and German Armies became more and more blurred. The Romans started to replaced their Regular Troops with Germanic Foederati, those got particular equipped by their Roman Client. Sieges in this Period were rare and only in the East against the Persian Sassanid Empire and their large heavy Armoured Elite Cavalry Armies.

Otherwise the Punic Wars are very Popular, but you would need Seperate Ranges for Romans, Punics/Carthagians, Gauls, Spanish and Greeks to complete this.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I love to read about it. I don't see wargaming it or collecting it.