Dremel Tool

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

BurtWolf
E5

Dremel Tool

Post by BurtWolf »

Is use of dremel tool helpful with these minis? If so what attachments are best? I tend to think it’s too big but thought I’d ask the question (and maybe use mine as an experiment on some hapless leftovers... maybe just placing AT round hits in the side of a knocked vehicle?)

panzergator
E5

Re: Dremel Tool

Post by panzergator »

Pin vise, hand-drilled.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

The only time I've used a dremel on micro armor is when I wanted to do some significant hatchet-type work instead of some delicate scalpel action. I used one to cut the back out of an M577 so I could add a floor and ramp, but I generally don't trust myself to not do irreparable damage with a dremel.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Post by Flight Deck Decals »

Same as Panzergator, other than files and sanding sticks these are the only tools I use:

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

I just use files and x-acto knife. I save the dremel for big projects. You can get tiny bits to file down smaller areas but I won't use them on GHQ figures after accidently dremeling details with the back of the bit while trying to hit nearer stuff.

E5

Post by 7.62 »

BurtWolf wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:02 pm
Is use of dremel tool helpful with these minis?
Yes and No........

You go out to buy cheese but come back with an extra car.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Now THAT'S some Dremel I'd love to try!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

E5

Post by 7.62 »

BurtWolf, OK No Duff answer, so I have used a Dremel (well it's a knock off but with a very good speed control) quite a lot with GHQ stuff.
Mostly with a small sanding stone after I have cut something off or in half to get a flat surface.
It is a bit of overkill since it does go through pewter like butter, use with a mask and with restraint. I have messed up more than won.

For the most part I would hold the victim in a small G clamp, not a vice. Easier to move around and cut/butcher and also saves the fingers.
For some reason I wanted to have a 'doors open' version of one of my Eurocopter Panthers (GHQ Z-9).
I used the dremel with a small bit to put a pilot hole right through, then found the same small bit would cut like a router to make the square opening.

Still like I said in my first post, it can be an advantage and a problem.
Use with care.
Last edited by 7.62 on Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Beer zero 1.30
Just read that again.
I would just like to say I have never worked in a Saudi Wedding license office.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Thanks everyone, very helpful information! That beer looks fantastic, a dremel and a dremel!

The open door, open hatch concept was what I was thinking of, and I’m glad to have heard about your experience. I’m also thinking about keep bashing, it was trying to figure out how to takeoff significant portions of one Mini and use it on another.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Sooooo, I tried it... I probably have too big of a bit (softball pitch for you guys...) but was trying to "explode" the sides of a Hummel and make it a wreck marker. Worked ok, but not what I was looking for.

Hummel was old sculpt with Meh paint job so it was put in the wreck marker bin...