Pershings and Pigment

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

BurtWolf
E5

Pershings and Pigment

Post by BurtWolf »

I tried a couple thing son these "experimental" Pershings - first I tried with limited success the pin washing technique described earlier. I like the results but I can't get it to pop like the experts have done. I must keep working at it!

I also applied some pigment which doesn't show great in the photos. Not sure how it will look after I dullcote it and wondering what techniques people use with pigments? I was overbrushing and adding probably too much, but like the dusty effect. Granted from a foot away looks awesome but on the table rather negligible.

What brand pigments are people using?

redleg
E5

Re: Pershings and Pigment

Post by redleg »

Wow Burt! I can't comment on the pigment because I have never used it, but your tanks look fantastic! Love that terrain too!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Post by Flight Deck Decals »

Agreed! They look awesome!

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

Agree, the tanks look great as does the terrain.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Thanks fellas!

whenimaginationfails
E5

Post by whenimaginationfails »

Nicely done!

(When you said Pershings, I thought of Pershing IIs and then saw your picture: Right ... tanks! ;-)

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Your Pershings look great, Burt! They seem to "pop" just fine. I see the highlights as well. Excellent work!

I am an old school type guy and use Humbrol enamels and a turpentine base wash, either dark brown or black, to accentuate my models. I learned about the wash from GHQ over 30 years ago. I know there are other paints and washes available and if it works for you that is great.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Wow BW, the Pershings look great! Well done!

Pigments are fun to use when you get the hang of it. Vallejo and AK come to mind that can be easily picked up. Washes... all sorts of garbage to throw on your models. As Pete eluded to, there are many ways (old and new) to achieve the end result.

A good way is to research and see what brands/approach works for you. And then trial and error. There is always the argument about pigments and sealing your model. If/how it changes the color of the pigment when all is said and done.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD