Trees

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hoth_902
E5

Trees

Post by Hoth_902 »

I am just starting out with the whole tree thing. Before I buy the pre-made trees in hobby lobby, I wanted to ask the community what they do. So, please post any information on how you make, where you buy, or grow your own trees. Tutorials are welcome. I lean toward buying some that are pre-made, but i am open to possibly making my own.

Thanks in advance.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

chrisswim
E5

Re: Trees

Post by chrisswim »

I make mine and many other trees for other people.

I have trees from about an inch tall up to 7 or 8 inches tall.
Chris

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

How do you make them,.....nice job by the way.

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

I followed a tutorial I found on Kieran Mahoney's page 6mm wargaming. Can't remember what link I found it through as that was years ago. The basic pattern is to glue an alder cone to a penny and then slather it in Elmers/PVA glue and attach your favorite flocking for pine trees or clump foliage for regular trees. I made about 100 pine trees, 100 regular trees, and 100 fall trees. I thought that would be sufficient for any gaming table. Took several weeks to make them all and constantly going back to glue more on to get better coverage and then seal. Pretty happy with the results. Trees are about 1-2" tall.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Thank you.
In my case, I use round disk roofing shingles and washers. In a few cases I have used hotel room keys/cards and CD-DVD discs.
Need your base, trees, white Elmers glue, green water-based paint, flock material, hot glue and glue gun. Sometimes a Penny or a nickel (lower cost than a washer).
1. Prime
2. Hot glue tree to disc-base.
3. Apply 50/50 mix of glue/water with brush. Then dip into bin with flock. Let dry in the bin.
4. After hours or over night pull out.
5. Apply 50/50 mix with green paint/glue on top of previous flock, then put into flock box-bin to dry. This helps seal a richer flock/texture.

I use tan tan for tan flock or sand. I use Atlantic Ocean, Florida beach sand.

GHQ buildings in use

Hope that helps.
Chris

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Nice work guys. What do you use for your trunks? What brand are you guys using for your foliage and other products?

Guroburov, I love the fall color trees. I think I might try my hand at some of them.

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

My trunks are just the stems attached to the alder cones. I figure if they break I'll just glue a small brad nail and spike the cone on it.
I think I'm just using the woodland scenics foliage and flocking from my local railroad/rc/model shop.

Glad you like the trees. I just wanted variety. I like the height of Chris' trees as mine aren't very tall.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Nice looking trees you guys!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Those custom trees look great guys - I am impressed!
I simply buy the 100 packs on eBay from Chinese source, when I receive them I spray paint lightly with a contrasting green color, and then flock with PVA. I mount directly to the GHQ hexes I use for the game board.

I also use the Cheneille that comes with the GHQ hexes to make pine trees. There are a couple tutorials online on how to use a battery operated drill with wire and Cheneille to custom make these trees, can’t recall guys name but search for custom made a scale trees as it’s aimed at railroad hobbyists.

Lastly, and again I can’t remember the person who posted it, but there was a gentleman who built forests with replaceable “rooftops” for 6mm gaming. Looks like a really cool design but I never took the time to try it out...

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

I use various sources for my trees. Chinese for some, cake decoration places a few times.
Last edited by chrisswim on Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

nash88

Post by nash88 »

I uses to make them with pipe cleaners but yea got some really nice ones off of ebay.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

nash88 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:28 am
I uses to make them with pipe cleaners but yea got some really nice ones off of ebay.
I second nash here... I used to make my own which works! But you can find some very good/cool looking trees on eBay for not much money.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD