Detail painting

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hoth_902
E5

Detail painting

Post by Hoth_902 »

What tools do people use to paint cables, ax and shovel handles and other detail work on there vehicles. What brush types and sizes.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

MechCommander
E5

Re: Detail painting

Post by MechCommander »

I use the fine detail brushes from Army Painter. they work.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I don't have any sophisticated answers, but I do sometimes use a toothpick to get paint onto something very small. Usually I toothpick the paint into truck windows and for infantry faces.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Hoth!

For my detail painting lately, I have been using 000 brushes by Model Master. I have used brushes from 3 to 15 0 since I started. I have used brushes by Pactra, Floquil, and Model Master for most of my work but some other brands as well. I may not be able to get Model Master brushes any more since Testors is discontinuing the line. I thought they were very decent for the price.

When selecting a fine detail brush, you don't always need the smallest size but a sharp tip is important. When I do roadwheels and some other items on GHQ vehicles that stand out, I don't always use the very tip of the brush but the side near the tip.

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

I like to use a OOO brush since I can control it better. I usually detail as a final after shade and dry brush.
For me I use colors that are not realistic like steel for the cables wire cutters shovel etc ,red for the German fire extinguishers, tan for the wooden bocks.
A bit of color really makes the models pop.
Any bit of colors make any camo stand out.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

I tend to gravitate between a 10/0 and 20/0 brush myself. Depends on model, size of item, objective.

But it because a timing issue with the small items. You always need to use fresh paint so it attaches to the model item. As that paint is exposed to air and ages, it gets more challenging. (e.g. Vallejo, small drop in palette and its go time!)
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Hey guys, thanks for the contributions on this page. Great stuff, please keep it coming. I typically use a 20/0 brush but do to some failing close in eye site, I have been having some issues. Getting older sucks so please if you can, don't do it.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

Hoth_902 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:41 am
Hey guys, thanks for the contributions on this page. Great stuff, please keep it coming. I typically use a 20/0 brush but do to some failing close in eye site, I have been having some issues. Getting older sucks so please if you can, don't do it.
While getting older definitely sucks I suspect the alternative is even worse. You cannot take your GHQ with you!! Definitely makes me NOT going willingly. They are going to have to take me screaming and kicking.

I think I will have to be late for it. By a couple of decades at least. :)
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Hoth_902 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:41 am

Amen! lol

I love my LED lit magnifying glass these days... helps me protect myself from me. lol
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

I have begun to use the same sort of light, it’s been a big improvement for seeing things (maybe not paint jobs).

Started using a wet palmette too which has been a great time saver

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Post by Flight Deck Decals »

I also now need LEDs and magnifiers. I Found attaching an inexpensive loupe to $5 set of readers can really help for detail work. Depends what you are working on but I have found that the sharpness of the brush tip can often be much more important than the actual brush size. I use shape gel a lot more these days than I did even when I still had hair.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Can you explain use of shape gel? I have not heard of that before. My brushes tips get frayed and bent often.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Ok, all you old guys like me with eye problems, get yer dead a**es to an optometrist and get your eyes checked for things like retinopathy, macular edema, macular degeneration, and a-n-a-l-oculisis. The first three require medical treatment. The last one is easily fixed by a drill sergeant's boot applied in the proper, usual place (make sure you get your head outta there first). That last likely doesn't even require a co-pay. He'll treat you for free.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

panzergator wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:21 pm
Ok, all you old guys like me with eye problems, get yer dead a**es to an optometrist and get your eyes checked for things like retinopathy, macular edema, macular degeneration, and a-n-a-l-oculisis. The first three require medical treatment. The last one is easily fixed by a drill sergeant's boot applied in the proper, usual place (make sure you get your head outta there first). That last likely doesn't even require a co-pay. He'll treat you for free.
Panzergator, you would have made quite a DI. :lol:
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Post by Flight Deck Decals »

BurtWolf wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:34 pm
Can you explain use of shape gel? I have not heard of that before. My brushes tips get frayed and bent often.
Burt,

First recommendation (especially if you are using decent+ brushes) use Masters Brush Cleaner. It will triple the life of your brushes:

I then will also use a Shaper I use both the below. The Speedball / Mona Lisa for general and the Albeilung for fine points restorations.

Even if you do not get one of the shape gels, spend the $6 on the Masters at the craft store. Putting aside the longevity it provides, try this proof test. Clean one of your brush the way you normally do. Once you think all the paint is out, then use the Masters. You will then see how much paint was still in the brush even after you thought it was clean.