GHQ, Moderators, et al

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

panzergator
E5

GHQ, Moderators, et al

Post by panzergator »

The SPAM is getting out of hand and mucking the place up. Also time to remove Cama's former place title at the top with other moderators as it's becoming an editorial. Need to recapture a little decorum and get this under control. Members don't have the tools.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

nashorn88
E5

Re: GHQ, Moderators, et al

Post by nashorn88 »

I don’t think they care.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

BUMP!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

So, more damned comnunists posting and ignored while allies are banned. Something backwards going on here. That spam is far more damaging than anything FB said. And far more objectionable.

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

I agree. They can find the time to ban Fireball but can't remove obvious spam or Cama's new mod name.

CAMK9A

Post by CAMK9A »

I think CAMA changing his mod name (again) was to make the point that GHQ is NOT paying attention to the forum...

I have sent an email asking why my old account was banned - nothing. Not even an acknowledgement that they received it.

(StarCruiser, incognito)

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I'd make a telephone call.

whenimaginationfails
E5

Post by whenimaginationfails »

Sadly, GHQ is not very engaged with the forum except to post periodic announcements and the yearly list of miniatures to be made. Even their Facebook page gets only 1-2 posts a month. My local gaming store is far more active.

Having more moderators would be good, just to keep the burden off anyone one person. There are automated solutions for forum spam. If GHQ doesn't deal with it, then the spammers will figure that out and bombard the forum.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Maybe they're looking to run us off.

Rebel Yell

Post by Rebel Yell »

Now that the FU-GHQ that Cama had changed his Moderator tag to has disappeared from the forum, I'm not afraid to post here and say that I was banned too without ever posting anything that even came close to violating the TOS (Vergeltungswaffe).

All posts were deleted except the quoted ones. I wasn't involved in all the Fireball miasma but I jokingly posted that I guessed Cama would be back by September this time and he apparently didn't like that.

I'd been registered since 2009 and hope I get a response from GHQ about undoing his childish actions.

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

Rebel, I suspect in your case somebody there either thought you were a spammer due to your name or didn't bother to translate from German to see that it wasn't anything not permitted.

Maybe you will get revenge.

HAHA I crack myself up.
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

Rebel Yell

Post by Rebel Yell »

Cav Dog wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:41 pm
Rebel, I suspect in your case somebody there either thought you were a spammer due to your name or didn't bother to translate from German to see that it wasn't anything not permitted.

Maybe you will get revenge.

HAHA I crack myself up.
Considering I'd been registered since 2009, I seriously doubt it. I'm 99% sure it was Cama.

And I see what you did there. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

GHQ
Site Admin

Post by GHQ »

We want to thank all of you for being regular readers, and posters, on our forum! These types of situations are not things that we like to air out in the open, but given the public nature of what has transpired we want to give some insight into things. Around the beginning of the year our forum started to get hit with some SPAM. A forum member who we have known for years offered to help combat the SPAM. We took him up on his offer, and he did a great job. Everything was going really well up until a little over a week ago. Apparently he got into a dust up with another member of our forum, and then the wheels came off. We really don't know what happened, and why the situation with the other forum member changed his feelings about GHQ, but it seems that it did. We are guessing that many of you already knew these things, but unfortunately that is all that we have to offer. The whole episode is a bit of a mystery to us. Multiple people close to the situation have contacted us, and said that they don't understand it either.

The end result is that we are going to begin moderating the forum a lot closer than in the past. We had a pretty lenient policy for years about not taking down posts, but some posts have clearly pushed things too far. We want this to be a place that is fun, friendly, helpful and enjoyable. Once it stops being any one of those things it has lost it's purpose. We originally added the forum to our website because we had a lot of customers who requested a means of exchanging ideas, asking questions of others, showing off projects that they had been working on, finding a way to connect with others, etc. This is a wonderful hobby that is an inch deep, and 25,000 miles wide. By that we mean that many people don't have someone down the street, or in their town, to get together with, but everyday we are shipping orders to places all over the USA, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, etc. Sometimes it's hard to find people who share your interest, and we hope that our forum has allowed some people to connect with others who share their interests. Don't take our tighter moderation of the forum the wrong way. We aren't going to take down posts willy nilly, but we are going to err on the safe side. Please remember that we are trying to create a friendly welcoming feel for everyone to ask whatever questions they may have about wargaming, military modeling, military history, etc. This is not the place to discuss politics, belittle questions asked by others, add in rude comments about the work that someone else has done or said...basically anything that is controversial or negative. GHQ will be the ultimate arbitrator of whether or not something is acceptable on our forum which is on our website.

Are we going to handle this perfectly, and make everyone happy? Probably not, but we will do our best to maintain the friendly, welcoming tone that many people have said that they feel here. We will probably put up a status check in the future asking how things have been going. You don't have to say that things are great, but please be kind if you have some suggestions. :D

Thank you for being forum members!
GHQ

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Thank you, GHQ. I appreciate the response to our concerns. Please take down the Fireball thread, or at least remove the poston page 2, 5th post down, with the coarse term.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Good to hear from GHQ.
I appreciate Cama, his help on the forum, his painting, his ideas and creation. Hope to and game with him.
I have enjoyed the ideas, the pictures that gamers have provided, the kit-bashed vehicles, painting applications, and I have been able to meet a few people that I have reached out from the GHQ forum.
Chris