POST YOUR MODEL REVIEW HERE

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

panzergator
E5

POST YOUR MODEL REVIEW HERE

Post by panzergator »

This is a thread to review your favorite model. This is not the place to post wishes for mods or new models. We won't specify a format. Discuss the model however you wish. You can review a model that someone else has reviewed. Not everyone will agree or see the same things. References lend credibility to your review. It would be nice if this were given a sticky.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

chrisswim
E5

Re: POST YOUR MODEL REVIEW HERE

Post by chrisswim »

Doesn’t need to stick, IMHO.
Chris

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

In light of my complaints about the lack of instructions, I'll start a review here. My choice is, naturally, IS17 M113 Tamuz with ATGM. As I've said when I got this, this thing is tiny. The M113 is quite small and in addition to the 5 hulls you get the 5 launchers and a sprue with 6 hatches/mounts. The top hatch has a sideways C shaped block, with notches in the top edge and a small thin, slightly offset short pillar. The small pillar goes towards the front with the block to the rear. I assumed I knew how to put it together before figuring this step out and my hatches are now backwards. :lol: The launcher has a flat tab on the bottom that you will glue onto the block part with the top fitting onto the two microscopic grooves on the top of the block. The model had no flash at all and goes together well, once you know how to put the launcher on the hatch. I'll post a pic with this once I get it painted. Sadly, I can't get the hatch off to remount it without destroying it.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Fingernail polish remover will dissolve your super glue. How about the model itself. Is it an accurate representation in comparison to the real thing?

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

It is a pretty good representation of the vehicle, which I guess is no surprise. If anything, no one takes great photos of the thing. I went through many photos online before I saw one which gave me the aha moment to know I'd screwed up. I'll probably just leave my models alone since they can run away now. It just bugs me as I'm a bit OCD about these things. They're primered and near to painting so I'll keep them.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

I like this thread and great idea panzergator. Here's my review of the RMN-18 CV Aquila.

Pros: A "what if model" but one that was almost completed at the time of the armistice. The Italians, unlike the Germans after the war started, were going all out to complete her. The Germans were very half-hearted when it came to their dedication to carrier completion after the start of the war. They even sent their technicians to Italy to help with the completion of the Aquila. Overall it is a very nice model and great to have for hypothetical engagements.

Cons: The stern is rounded not a transom. The island lacks details such as a Gufo Radar system which it was slated to receive. The island also lacks hatches, windows and portholes. A little re-work would make this a great model.

Final thoughts: I have used this model in various hypothetical 1943 scenarios. It is interesting to see what happens if the Regia Marina had had close air support without having to go through the laborious chain of command which often times prevented air support when needed.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

It was FB's idea to make a model review thread.

regia-marina
E5

Post by regia-marina »

Give credit where credit is due. Still a great idea.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

The Review that follows is for an older Sculpt and not a new release. Not to long ago, I ordered some Stryker Scouts. Two the models came with holes just behind the drivers hatch. I had only saw this one other time, with an M2A3 Bradley. The Bradley had the hole just forward of the driver hatch. For what ever reason, it seems the material, in the groves are too thin. I contacted GHQ and they were great and sent replacements that had no issues. I primed and painted them with not issue. Not that any was expected. Yesterday I took them off the Rod was used to mount them during paint. I started scraping the poster putty out of the hollow cavity. Apparently, though there was no hole to start with, the material must have been thin and I scarped a hole in it. Ugh.. disappointing. It appears that detail is too deep in the mold and not enough material gets in this area or there was not enough material added. At any rate, short of troubling GHQ with trying to find replacements that will not end in the same issue, I decided to repair them.

The picture below, sadly is post repair, but the hole location is still visible. See below.

The picture on the Left shows where the hole is located. The silver color is the material I used to fix it. The picture on the right is a small piece of smashed pewter that I used to glue in the cavity to fill the hole.

What I am calling the repair doubler is flattened piece of Pewter from a parts Sprue. The repair doubler is, but not limited to, an aerospace term for metal used in a fuselage skin hole repair. The top picture, below, shows the piece I cut off the parts Sprue. The lower picture is what the cut piece looked flattened.

As stated above, the flattened piece was glued in the bottom hollowed cavity, over the hole, to fill the gap. This should reinforce the thinned metal in this location and fill the gap. Its not the prettiest fix, but it looks like it worked. I think it should hold up over time.

P.S. GHQ, not sure why this is happening, but it might be something you want to look into.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/