Bills stuff

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Beagle
E5

Re: Bills stuff

Post by Beagle »

Latest Micronaut
Steaming through a straddle.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I love those explosions Bill!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Not very good pictures, some of the guys are a little out of focus. I think that should be my next step, taking better photos of minis. Another stand of Confederates. One more and that will complete Armistead's Brigade representing roughly 1,500 infantry. Image
Thanks for looking!!!!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

So here is a modified version of the water splash marker, for land use. Version 1 Mk 1. What do you think??? I have a slight WHIP in photos if this works, if it doesn't, I can tailor it to make it bigger, better, faster...... I tried to get the blast effect moving up and out, to at least give it a somewhat dynamic/moving look. But, when I was painting it, the clothespin I was holding it with snapped and broke it from the base, so I had to re-glue it, somewhat compressing the shape. It was originally more ared.
I actually don't like it up close, but from farther away than the photos are, I feel it looks a lot better, like much more 'scale' better. its always tailorable, and anyone is always welcome to take what I'm doing make it better, that's how our hobby gets better by the day!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Bill, your infantry continues to amaze me! You would think I would be used to seeing it on here by now, but I'm still blown away!

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

They look good Bill! I think I would try to widen them if you could. On some of my markers I took strands of white cotton and just mashed it on top to make it look like the wispy smoke drifting off the top of an explosion.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks Red, thanks Burt. I kind of smushed it with my fingers when I glued it back together, it was puffier originally, but I do agree, I got it too dark. The next time I’m going to try spraying from about a 45 degree angle up from the bottom, to hopefully leave more white on top and at the very base.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Great work on the Akizuki, Bill! The paintwork is excellent and I especially like the label with the national emblem, ship name, and even the Kanji version if that is what it is. I don't read Japanese.

You Civil War infantry also looks excellent as well.

Pete

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Brilliant Bill on all of it.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks 7.62, thanks Pete. I don't read Kanji either, but I've always felt its a nice touch, so on the labels on the bottom, I add what the Kanji translates into.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's awesome Bill! I love how you included the fate if the ship!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

That is a nice plaque for the Akizuki, Bill! I have a bunch of the WWII Japanese Micronaut destroyers and have a few that are in the GHQ catalog that I painted probably about 20 years ago. I will have to get back to painting some more ships, soon. Thanks!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks Red, thanks Pete!

Here's the latest ship. Japanese destroyers are super easy to paint, that makes them kind of fun and relaxing while you're working on some other more frustrating and time consuming projects.

Awe poop, after I posted the pictures, I realized I forgot the anchor chain!!!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

"Super easy to paint" and 1/2400 scale seem to be mutually exclusive to me! I can't even see the anchor chain most of the time! Well done on those destroyers!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Lol, I know that sounds like a dumb thing to say with as small as they are, but with the Japanese ships, since there isn’t camouflage, it really is as simple as two colors, doing a little careful touch up to make sure your lines are straight, the relying on a wash and dry brushing to play a little artistic eye trickery to make it seem like the light is affecting the detail more than it is. Admittedly, things like anchor chain and Orelikon barrels could be passed over and no one would notice, lol.