Bills stuff

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Guroburov
E5

Re: Bills stuff

Post by Guroburov »

Dang it Bill, keep this up and you're gonna give me a complex about my painting and slow progress. :lol:

Awesome stuff, by the way. Especially the decals and the unit plaques. And the painting. Can't forget that.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks Guroburov, you’re too kind. My progress is pretty slow, trust me, I constantly find things I mess up and spend a lot of time going back to do touch ups.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Flight Deck Decals,

I did read your instructions. I was just checking to see if someone had some special things that they did that was not in your instructions. Tips if you will.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Not the best pictures, had sort of a wobbly hand. 2 more hot off the paint press!

And that completes the Scout Car Company (wheeled) for Das Reich

Now I'm going to shift gears and go back to 2nd Armored, the rear detachment of the quartermasters, starting with a Dragon Wagon!!!

Thanks for looking!!! Billy

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Great work, Billy! The vehicles are fantastic, and I also like the signage. Very professional looking display!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks Redleg. My ultimate goal is to make sort of like a three-d organizational chart like you see in books, with the lines and blocks, breaking down the make up of the division, I guess I made that make sense. I have plans drawn up to make wooden storage trays in the wood shop that are sectioned off to keep the individual units from getting jumbled up. No idea what I'm going to do with them when they are complete, maybe the museum will want me to set them up from time to time, or they will end up in the storage unit with all my other model stuff that collects dust, lol. Maybe they'll end up on Storage Wars after I'm gone, lmao. I did just place another order with GHQ, mainly for some more ACW Confederates so I can start working on Picketts Division, but I caved and got some US para, I'm going to build a US 1944 airborne division too, its not that large and mainly infantry stands, so it shouldn't take too long... and it will give me a great "excuse" to paint some Waco's, lol.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Hey Billy, I have a storage system that may be similar to what you are doing with the wooden trays. I made some wooden trays that are sectioned off to keep the different companies divided, and then I built a wooden box with grooves cut into the sides and back so that I could slide the trays in. This one is for my armored cavalry regiment - basically one squadron per tray with a few extra trays left over for other random vehicles.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

That’s pretty nice! Very similar to what I have planned, but mine are stackable, and the trays sort of lock into each other. But, seeing what you’ve done, now I’m thinking.....

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

I like that box. Was it hard to build?

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Stacking trays sound pretty cool. I have some of the stackable Tank Transports from Game Craft and I like them, but they don't hold enough vehicles for my needs. If you did some large stackable trays I might have to reconsider the box!

Guroburov, the box wasn't that hard to build, but I have a table saw that was key for cutting the grooves into the box. I'm not much of a carpenter, but it was just basic cutting and screwing together. I made a second box that I haven't painted yet, but it didn't go together as well. My long term plan includes 2 more boxes - one for aircraft and one for ships.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Bill - your stuff looks well painted and love those placards!

Red - awesome box - you should post the planes if you hit them. That’s a great idea and looks like it works really well!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Bill, would you mind sharing how you made the signage for your units?

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Absolutely. It’s super easy. Tell you what, I’ll do a picture tutorial on Monday, Tuesday at the latest. I have to work tomorrow, then when I come home my soccer game is on. Monday I’m going to the museum to put a new airplane in the display cabinet, so I’ll take a few pictures of my Midway ships while I’m there and post those too....lots more name signs too, lol.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

What museum do you build displays for Bill?

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

The Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach. The model club I belong to is affiliated with them. Pre-COVID we met there once a month to build, we did learning sessions with youth groups, and they have display cases for us upstairs. Currently I’m working on a 1/350th Yorktown for them for a display the are making about Naval Aviation.