Bills stuff

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Beagle
E5

Re: Bills stuff

Post by Beagle »

Lol, for the 20B on the decks, I use French mirage blue. It’s funny, for American ships, we use all kinds of colors labeled for other countries, that’s quirky.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

I never complain about GHQ releases, or pictures or products, or things like that. I’m just always glad that we’ve always had this stuff to paint and use, lots of which is to found anywhere else, but I just surprisingly now found something boggles me and is actually pretty annoying. I’m finishing another carrier right now, opening USN43, carrier planes #1 pack to use the Dauntless for the airwing, I discovered there’s one sprue of Dauntli, with wings spread and wings folded…………no variant of the Dauntless had folding wings. :| Why doesn’t GHQ just add two sprues of spread wings. GHQ! PLEASE LISTEN!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

And the Yorktown.....

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Bill, that is beautiful! Amazing work! I don't suppose you have any close-up shots of the aircraft? There aren't decals on the wings are there? That would be crazy!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks a lot Red. No, they aren’t decals, I just place dots of dark sea blue, then use a toothpick to put a smaller dot of white in the middle. I don’t have any close ups, if I get the camera too close, they just get fuzzy. They really don’t look good up close anyhow, they really are too small for anything other than basic painting.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Excellent work on the Yorktown, Bill! I can attest to painting little tiny insignia on the carrier aircraft for the Midway and the Shokaku as well as some floatplanes on some other ships. It definitely isn't easy to do and they don't look that good under extreme magnification. I do it anyway because .... I do.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks a lot Pete. It’s a small thing, but it adds a lot. I’m actually getting ready to start Midway, but it won’t have planes, it’s getting painted to look like the picture of it during sea trials in September of ‘45.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Good luck with the Midway, Bill! At least you should have a complete deck decal you can use.

When I painted the Midway for GHQ, I had to cobble together decals from several sources and then do some cutting and pasting so things would look reasonable. I wish Dan's Flight Deck Decals had been around when I had to do that one.

As an aside, when I did the Shinano, I was trying to figure out how I was going to do the stripes on that one, especially the barber stripes on the rear. My friend, Tanner Simmons, came to my rescue with a couple of deck decals that he created. I remember botching the first one but was successful in applying it on the second go.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Wow, really incredible!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

While the site was down, I finished some grenadiers. The British are coming!!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those grenadiers look amazing Bill! But I'm also blown away by the fence! What scale are these again?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks a lot Red, they are 10mm, I’m hooked on AWI now. I make the fences in 1,2,3, and 4 inch sections so I can make different sized and shaped field and road enclosures.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Today was Midway day at the museum, so I had all of the micronauts out. I snapped some pictures in-between talking to guests.Image

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Very nice Midway display. Great work on the models and presenting.
Like the Kido Butai!!
Chris

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks a lot Chris, appreciate it!