Bills stuff

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Beagle
E5

Re: Bills stuff

Post by Beagle »

Thanks a lot Red. I find that naming them for some reason makes them a little more fun to paint and keeps me interested. I try to make the names totally unlikely for the subject. Like my Trailer Park Knights, or I use college bro names for my Vikings. That, and some of my skirmish games for 28mm have the same figures moving from scenario to scenario, so naming them is how you keep track of the characters progression, kind of D&D like, lol. Maybe I should make a stop motion movie, lol.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

How does this look for a shell splash/straddle marker for a micronauts game? The markers the game comes with are perfectly fine, but I've always been really big on using scenery as markers to add to the games overall appearance.
It's just a square piece of .040 styrene, with a short piece of styrene rod cemented upright to the center of it. Then I slid a piece of stretched cotton ball over it held on with Elmers. When it was dry, I brushed on Future floor polish with a fat brush until it was somewhat soaked, and then I teased it out with a toothpick. Thoughts welcome before I waste my time making more to play the game with.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Very nice work on "Earl", Beagle! Your shell splash idea also looks very nice with the very well painted ship.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those splash markers look great Bill! Now you can play a proper game of Battleship and mark all the misses!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks Pete, thanks Red. Dorsetshire has been in my collection for a long time. I guess I’ll have to make more of those, I’m getting ready to reteach myself how to play Micronauts, it’s been…..awhile.

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Awesome splash markers! Will really add something to the aesthetics to the naval game. I've really been enjoying your posts of naval models. Please keep sharing.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Great markers and seem easy enough to build - maybe a good idea to “steal” for us microarmor guys? Mortar barrage markers? Your work on the micronauts is so cool and detailed, thanks for posting!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

I think I posted a few pages back a marker I made for an artillery shell explosion, using the same process I use for burning markers for Micronauts, They are super easy to make and would good with microarmor.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Bill, beautiful Ark Royal, love the Swordfish. And Japanese carrier is also excellent.
The Detroit is great, like the camo.
Even like the ACW guys. The carriers are a “WOW”!
Chris

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks a lot Chris, variety is the spice of modeling. I have another carrier and a another destroyer on the bench, so name a few other things, lol.

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

I make suppression markers the same way, but I start with the head of a Q-Tip. Cut it off at the cotton base and glue to your styrene base. Once dry cut an X in the tip with a sharp knife and tease it out. I use the for suppression markers in Fistful of TOWs. Not as fluffy as yours but dead easy to mass produce.
Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Im with BurtWolf on this... I need to figure this out with a conversion to incoming artillery/mortar round markers.

Very cool!
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Exploding artillery round?
Those are the markers made for my ACW. That one is the prototype, with piano wire like I did for my burning ship markers, the rest have the styrene peg center like the splashes.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

I love the look of the round landing in the water and the water shooting up. But could one spray paint the cotton brown and modeler apply glue to the cotton and attach dirt. Once the dirt dries, seal it from the outside to give the impression that a round hit the ground and dirt is flying up.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Hmmmmm, I’ll play with it, I have some ideas.