Bills stuff

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

PolishGI
E5

Re: Bills stuff

Post by PolishGI »

Bill, the Midway stuff looks beautiful! I bet it was even better in person. Love the atoll pic as well with the landing craft.

The gatehouse at Gettysburg looks fantastic. Love the classic photo showing it. The Confederates look sharp.
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks Polish. Those aren't landing craft actually, they are PT boats. The 1st MTB Squadron was stationed at Midway, 9 boats at Midway, 2 at Kure Atoll. They unfortunately always get overlooked and forgotten in the overall narrative of the battles bigger picture. This is the only picture I have right now, they are at the museum so I can't really take a better one a the moment.
I like using my ACW to recreate famous pictures or paintings, its kind of fun and cool to do, seeing how close I can do it. I'm working on two right now, but its going to take a little bit, I keep finding oddball figures that need to be added. What I need to do is get better at photo editing so they aren't B/W, but I can get that brown look of a glass plate photo.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

How does the cannonball explosion look? I used the same piano wire/Crylon paint technique I use for my micronaut oily smoke.Image
Sometimes I feel like making art with minis is as much fun as making war with them, lol.

And now for something completely different. (Shameless Monty Python line steal)
Pfalz DIIIA. !/48th scale. I came across the picture on my SD card while I was uploading the previous picture....somehow I'd forgotten to upload that picture, even though that build is like 5 years old, lol

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

The explosion looks great! And the infantry look fantastic! The level of detail is awesome!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks Red, some of those are my “b” infantry. They are kinda old and have been handled a lot,they need some touch up and TLC.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Oh way cool! Would love to see the PT boats up close! I cannot say I have ever seen a PT boat in this scale! Love it!

Half the battle is making them… the other half is fun using them to fight! Lol

You can never have too much Monty Python.

The Pfalz DIIIA looks sharp! I fear that as well. What do I have pictures of that I forgot about or misplaced. Oi!
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Awesome work Bill, I did not know they were any PT boats at Midway.

Was just watching a bunch of interesting lectures by Jonathan Parshall on Midway, he is pretty interesting.

I like your building, Leven miniatures makes a similar one for 6mm that has a very good detail. I have not ordered it because I really don’t do aCW, but then thought about getting it and just is it a as an old European building…

Thanks for sharing!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks a lot Burt. Thats one of the main things I love about this hobby of miniatures, we all learn new things with the more we paint.

Newest completion. The Dunker Church at Sharpsburg. Model is from Crackerline, superb model as always, just a big block of resin, no metal parts, nothing that needs to be glued on. Some very minor flash around the base from the casting process, and a few resin blobs in a few window panes, but nothing that wasn't easy to clean in a few minutes. There are a few air bubble voids, very small, I left them instead of filling them, I felt they look like battle damage. The only thing I couldn't capture in the photos was that I put a drop of gloss in each window pane.

I have plans for a few photo dioramas in the future with this one.
Thanks for looking!!!!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Excellent looking model of the Dunker Church, Bill! I have seen the real one at the Antietam Battlefield and yours captures it. Nice work!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks a lot Pete. Sharpsburg is on my short list of places to go. I've been to Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Malvern Hill, Petersburg, etc....but somehow, I've missed that one so far.

Does this count as aircav?????

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Bill! Just make the horses, Pegasus horses, and you will definitely be covered for Air Cav. LOL!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Here comes the cavalry!!
And, Enter the Dragon.....Wagon.
Thankfully, I only have to build two Dragon Wagons for my project, so many pieces, very time consuming. Now its time to shift back to painting Confederates, and I have two trucks left to paint and the rear detachment will be finished for 2nd Armored.
Thanks for looking!!

Edit, post posting pictures, I realized I forgot to touch up the tires on the dragon after I based it……this hobby never ends!!!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

It does go on forever, but it's SO MUCH DAMNED FUN! You do such good work, too.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks a lot Panzer! It’s a never ending struggle.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Major General George Pickett.