Bills stuff

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Re: Bills stuff

Post by redleg »

Fellas, I need a quick history lesson: Was there something different about the way Zouaves were equipped or organized, or the way that they fought? Or was it just uniform? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to ACW and I'm not sure what the difference between Zouavs and "regular" infantry is other than the cool uniforms!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

In the mid-nineteenth century, everything French was quite trendy. American Zouave uniforms were patterned on French North Moroccan Zouave units, except American Zouaves tended to vary a lot from the traditional pattern, as well as traditional. As far as I know, the regular army didn’t use the uniform, it was only used by volunteer regiments. Some of the coolest looking were the 114th Pennsylvania, the 5th New York ‘Duryees Zouaves’, and the 23rd Pennsylvania. Oh, and the 11th New York ‘Fire Zouaves’. The Confederates had maybe a handful of Zouave regiments at the start of the war, by far the most well known was the Louisiana Tigers.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks for the info Bill! I learned something new today! Very interesting!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

If I remember right, I don’t even think the Confederates had full regiments of Zouaves.
Due to the complexity of the uniforms and supply issues, late in the war Zouave uniforms tended to get replaced with standard uniforms, but there were still some regiments at the end of the war. A good example is the 73rd Pennsylvania, most of their uniforms were ruined on The Peninsula, and were replaced with regular uniforms, but by Gettysburg, there were still a few companies with Zouave uniforms.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

And a GC-4 Waco...
The invasion stripes are 1/300th decals Dan rescaled from his 1/600th. Painting them would make completing the model probably twice as long and ten times as frustrating, so FDD strikes again with a dose of joy!!

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Excellent work on the WACO glider, Bill! Those invasion stripes really make the model stand out in addition to your excellent painting skills. It is nice to know there is a place to go when I need to get some invasion stripes for my Allied aircraft when the time comes.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks for the kind words Pete! As with all his decals, they go down great. They are large, and pretty soft, so when you get around to using them, make sure you do good surface prep, and be patient, otherwise there’s a good chance of tearing them. I’m sure I’m not telling you anything you don’t know already, lol.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Spectacular Bill! Well done!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks a lot Red!!

And the L'Audacieux....
I weathered this one a little heavier than usual. It had a colorful career, briefly, it was sunk twice and refloated twice.

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Post by Flight Deck Decals »

As always Bill, your work is top shelf!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks a lot Dan.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's a great looking ship Bill! Just wondering - do you have a ship collection for gaming yourself, or do most of your ships find their way to the museum?

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Well, I have some ships I keep at home, but most go to the museum. But, the ships at the museum are my collection and I can take them any time I want too, so yeah, they are my gaming collection. I rotate stuff out from time to time. The ships I actually paint for the museum, they reimburse me the cost when I finish them, then they are no longer mine. I’m thinking about donating all of the Midway ships to them and starting over, they are starting to get a lot of wear on them, and I feel like I could remake a better collection.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

I love the Glider, really nice. Nice creation.
I like the DD.
Chris

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks a lot Chris. I don’t really have a need for the glider as a game piece, I just wanted to use FDDs decals, and I’m working on some airborne troops at the museum, so I figured it would look cool sitting with them.