Bills stuff

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

pmskaar
E5

Re: Bills stuff

Post by pmskaar »

Both of your Deuce and a halfs look great, Bill! I have several of GHQ's American trucks of various types and need to paint some one of these days.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks Pete. Only one way to get em done!

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Trucks look fantastic, you got the shading right and the decals look aged! Did you add the arm out the window? That’s great work Bill!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks Burt. No those are the guys that come molded in the open cabs, there’s faces in there too, but they are kinda hard to see in the photos, it’s not as bright. I’m not a very good picture shooter. I wish GHQ would through in at least one or two more trucks with the machine gun pulpit in the deuce and half packs.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Not exactly typical for this forum, but I'd gotten stuck on this little guy for a while, and it was eating at me, so I put everything aside and committed to finishing it, I feel better now. Athenian marine hoplite.
The museum emailed, and with things starting to open back up, they want us to set up our Midway display on June 5th, so I'm still going to be putting everything aside for the time being to complete a few things I want to do before then, I need to make the 1/350th Japanese aircraft, some more damaged markers, name plates for the Northern Forces, and I have a 1/48th PBY I'd really like to get finished before then. The only exception will be a stand of ACW I should be able to finish today, and there is a micronaut that's about half done, I might work on it if I have time here and there.

Thanks for looking!

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Oh Bill, he is awesome looking! Very nice!

Midway? Oh?

Would it be possible to request pics of said event? You know... for research... lol I would love to see that laid out...
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

A ghost squadron of Zeros and Vals. I'll let the canopy mask dry overnight then they'll be ready to airbrush tomorrow.Image
Just thought this looked kinda cool.

Thanks Polish. I am most certainly going to take some pictures of the diorama once we have it set up, I wouldn't miss posting those here, roughly a hundred or so micronauts.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

While making more damage markers for my micronauts, I figured I'd take a few pictures and post a little tutorial how I make mine.
First I clip roughly a 5 to 6 inch piece of piano wire. Then use a pair of needle nose to bend one end into a triangle, with each side about .5 of an inch, or really whatever size you need it to be, but .5 works for what I need them for. After you have a triangle, make another bend arcing up over the triangle so the 'smoke' will hang over the ship. I made my next bend about 2 inches up, leading back the other direction with a slight arch to it so the smoke will look like its being pushed by the wind.
Next. I take regular cotton balls stolen from the wife's nail polish cabinet, and tear one in small clumps. Larger clumps will go at the bottom, with the smaller ones at the top like the smoke is tampering. Loosen the pieces of cotton up so they slide over easier, I usually have to loop each piece back over two or three times to it doesn't hang too loose after being stretched.
After I test slide each piece on, I slide it back a little, coat the wire with good ol Elmers, the slide the clump back down. Repeat. Working smaller to larger until the wire is covered at the top. Wait about an hour until the glue is dry before you paint, or else the blast from the spray can will blow pieces of cotton off (ask me how I know, lol).
When I'm ready to paint, I hold the can about a foot and a half away, and work in one or two second bursts to slightly build up the color, I like to leave some white still visible on the inside to give it some depth and 3D sort of effect. I personally like to use Krylon's camouflage line, camouflage brown. I think it gives that nice, burning fuel oil effect.
Actually, looking at the pictures, I think they need a touch more paint, lol. One of these days I'm going to make some that go straight up for artillery hit markers for my ACW.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's amazing work Bill! Amazing how great your stuff looks in all of the various scales! Do your techniques vary between 1/285 and 1/2400 scales?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Excellent work, Bill, on the Athenian Marine, the Confederate infantry, and the tutorial for how you make your explosions. Where do you get your piano wire?

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Thanks Red. So my techniques micro armor and micronauts are very very similar. I paint the base colors, touch up to clean things up, straighten lines and such. Then pick out details like ax handles, shovel heads, fire extinguishers, life boat covers and such. Next, I add a wash to highlight the 'shadows' and to tone down the brightness of the base coat a little. When the wash is dry, I dry brush with a lighter mixture than the base coat, , my general rule of thumb is 25% lighter. For example, the canvas tops on the deuce and halfs we base coated with a mix of 75% OD, 25% desert yellow, so the dry brush is 50/50, the truck body's are straight OD so the dry brush is 75% OD, 25% desert yellow. For the ACW I work inside out. Basically staring with skin, then clothes, then accoutrements, add a light wash. I don't dry brush the ACW, partly because of the sheer numbers I have to paint, but also because they get a lot of use, lots of handling, so I don't spend as much time because I know they are going to take some wear and tear. Paint, clear coat, ship em off to battle, lol. The 28mm, that's a whole different beast, lol.

Thanks Pete. I get my piano wire at Hobbytown, but I'm sure any hobby shop or store would carry it.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Thanks very much for the info on the piano wire, Bill! It is much appreciated!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

I finished the name placards for the ships of the Aleutians portion of the Midway campaign, so I took some pictures of the ships before I take them to the museum for next months display.
And here are the damage markers

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's awesome Bill! Fantastic work!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com