Been away for awhile, what happend to the Combat Command boxes?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

BadKarma

Been away for awhile, what happend to the Combat Command boxes?

Post by BadKarma »

I've been away for sometime. A lot longer than I realized. But last August, I found myself laying in the Critical Care ward at my local hospital. No, not 'rona, kidney failure! I was in the hospital for 10 days. Long story short, I automatically was declared "disabled" and placed on Disability. Now, I go to dialysis 3 days a week and have an awful lot of spare time on my hands.

Enough of that. Did GHQ discontinue the Combat Command boxes? I was intending to build up a "Team Yankee" set from the Coyle book. I've drug my old Terrain Maker board out and going to order a bunch of new hexes and build a whole new terrain set.

Meh, just a mini boredom rant, not really, just bored. I can order everything piecemeal. Might even be a little more fun that way. :D :shock: :lol:

But I am curious for the reason to cut out the company boxes.

Thanks BadKarma

chrisswim
E5

Re: Been away for awhile, what happend to the Combat Command boxes?

Post by chrisswim »

GHQ discontinued most the the Combat Commands. As I recall sales volume was low.
Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I was always a big fan of the combat commands. It was easier to get a whole company without all the extra vehicles that you end up with when buying the individual packs. I believe they still have the LCAC and pontoon bridge ones.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

I would think re-releasing them focusing on Team Yankee units and vehicles would sell rather well.
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

BadKarma

Post by BadKarma »

That's too bad. I built all of my WW2 Armies starting with those boxes. US, German, British and USSR.

Oh well.

Thanks folks!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I know a lot of folks used the Combat Commands, but it seemed to me you never got the right kind and number of vehicles for a company/team. I maybe bought one. Everything else I built from the 5-packs. It seemed to work out better in the long term. So much depends on your goal, and I wanted to build battalions.

Sad to hear you are on dialysis. That is a rough routine. Transplant?
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

BadKarma

Post by BadKarma »

panzergator wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:17 am
I know a lot of folks used the Combat Commands, but it seemed to me you never got the right kind and number of vehicles for a company/team. I maybe bought one. Everything else I built from the 5-packs. It seemed to work out better in the long term. So much depends on your goal, and I wanted to build battalions.

Sad to hear you are on dialysis. That is a rough routine. Transplant?
Sadly, no. The closest hospitals that can do them are 4 hours away in 3 directions. And they want you to drive there 5 or 6 times before the operation, then twice a week for 4 months after. Not feasible.

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

I guess you are in the Joplin/Springfield area then... Looks like the big hospitals are in Kansas City, St. Louis and Oklahoma City - yep, give or take, three hours drive time.

Gotta love it.
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra

BadKarma

Post by BadKarma »

StarCruiser wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:27 am
I guess you are in the Joplin/Springfield area then... Looks like the big hospitals are in Kansas City, St. Louis and Oklahoma City - yep, give or take, three hours drive time.

Gotta love it.
Damn!!! Pretty good guess! But it's Fayetteville instead of OKC.

And being O+ isn't helpful either.

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

If it didn't cost so much, you could lease an apartment near the hospital until it's done. I used to life in Jasper and then Joplin during jr high school before relocating to Texas. If you went that route, I'd probably recommend Fayetteville being cheaper.

BadKarma

Post by BadKarma »

Guroburov wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:22 am
If it didn't cost so much, you could lease an apartment near the hospital until it's done. I used to life in Jasper and then Joplin during jr high school before relocating to Texas. If you went that route, I'd probably recommend Fayetteville being cheaper.
I thought about that, but being on Disability, within a few months, driving and an apartment would quickly get out of hand. As it stands right now, I have an acceptable quality of life, seeing that in Aug. I was 24 hours away from checking into the morgue instead of the hospital. My Doc said that after seeing my blood work, he consulted 4 ** CENSORED ** at the Mayo Clinic and they couldn't see how I was still walking and talking. From the time I walked into the clinic to when they were hooking me up to the monitors in Critical Care was 2.5 hours. Probubly being a stubborn old Hillbilly saved me. Or maybe a Battleship Navy vet. :P :lol:

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Post by Flight Deck Decals »

Cav Dog wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:45 am
I would think re-releasing them focusing on Team Yankee units and vehicles would sell rather well.
I think you have a strong point here but not sure GHQ would want to box based on TY points? It seems to be a very large market though.

BadKarma,

Very sorry you are going through this. My father was eventually able to convert to the home Dialysis. Even that was extremely hard.

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

One Mech battalion and one Armor battalion and one ACR troop with combat commands. The second Armor battalion was all by blister packs. I had been emailing them with four artillery combat command versions and the next thing I know they are gone. After the artillery combat commands I had started trying to put together a suggested Engineer combat command. My thought was the more variety the more sales. For those new to this having a wide variety would seem to me to spark more interest in the product. This is what these models can become.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Combat Commands were the gateway drug for micro armor. If you can get a complete unit by purchasing one item it doesn't seem so overwhelming as buying a whole bunch of individual packs. A couple combat commands and you have a full battalion and then you're hooked. Now you need the scouts and mortars and maintenance and supply and artillery and headquarters and grunts and air defense and all the variations of the combat vehicles.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

BadKarma

Post by BadKarma »

When I started playing, I could have gotten away with a minimal number of minis. 4 or 5 of this and 4 or 5 of that. But I wasn't happy with that, I had to collect mine in companies! I could field Battalions if I wanted too, but never did. I just liked seeing all those figs on the board!! :twisted: :shock:

Since I'm in a wargame desert, with very few other players, and playing solo, I can start playing with just a few minis. I play THW rules. I wish GHQ would figure in a solo rule set. I have both the WW2 and Modern rulesets and have tried them solo. Not as fun as they could be, but THW NUTS and Hell Hath No Fury is really pretty fun solo. So Ill be building the collection bit by bit. Until the stimulus check hits!!! :shock: :D