Been away for awhile, what happend to the Combat Command boxes?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Beagle
E5

Re: Been away for awhile, what happend to the Combat Command boxes?

Post by Beagle »

There’s certain things I do when playing a solo game to try and make the “other” side a little more random or unpredictable. You can do things like create a chart to roll a d10, and have the result make enemy units react certain ways for the duration of the game regardless of what’s going on. Say for example, I’m playing a solo ACW game, and roll a 6 for a Confederate division, that would mean that division commander is aggressive and a bit reckless for the whole game, so any brigades under his command, regardless of strength or morale MUST attempt to charge the closest Union unit if they are within 6 inches of any. Other die results could mean units are overly cautious, stick to cover, ect.... I guess I made that make sense.

BadKarma

Re: Been away for awhile, what happend to the Combat Command boxes?

Post by BadKarma »

Beagle wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:02 am
There’s certain things I do when playing a solo game to try and make the “other” side a little more random or unpredictable. You can do things like create a chart to roll a d10, and have the result make enemy units react certain ways for the duration of the game regardless of what’s going on. Say for example, I’m playing a solo ACW game, and roll a 6 for a Confederate division, that would mean that division commander is aggressive and a bit reckless for the whole game, so any brigades under his command, regardless of strength or morale MUST attempt to charge the closest Union unit if they are within 6 inches of any. Other die results could mean units are overly cautious, stick to cover, ect.... I guess I made that make sense.
What I love about the THW rules is a reaction role. I see you or you see me, there is a reaction roll. Do i jump back? Do I engage? the dice indicates what I do. Do I fire? what do you do if I fire? If your hit, do you return fire or duck for cover? It sounds lengthy, but it really isn't, once you get used to the sequence.

They also have a system for random enemies. You have several markers for suspected enemy locations. Once I'm in sight I roll to see if there is anything there. Maybe there is, maybe not.

It really is a neat ruleset. I can run games upward of company sized.