Flight Deck Decal Ideas

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Hoth_902
E5

Flight Deck Decal Ideas

Post by Hoth_902 »

FDD,

I thought I would start a new Thread so that we were not hijacking someone else's thread. You mentioned the flammable markers as being too small and no one needs that much. I think there might be some confusion or maybe not. But to be sure, here are some picture of what i was suggesting.

My idea was for both the little red diamonds and the words flammable

This one would be more difficult to pull off. I guess you could do it in black and green like in the picture and the person applying it would have to plan well on how they painted to make it work.

This is the one for HEMMTT and then you could include them with the FMTV Fueler.

I thought I saw some HEMMT and FMTV trucks with Potable Water markings on the side, but I hve not found them yet.

Again, you may be right and people do not have enough vehicles to want to buy a hole sheet. In my case, my collection of US vehicles is only 500+ strong and I have 4 Fueler HEMMTTs and 5 Fueler FMTVs. I plan to buy more, but not a 100 vehicles. I looked around a little more and could not really find any other truck markings that could sweeten the deal.

Hoth
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Hoth_902
E5

Re: Flight Deck Decal Ideas

Post by Hoth_902 »

Ooo.. What if you combined it with the same markings for other nations markings. Like maybe a NATO sheet. It could have fueler markings for German, US, etc etc. Unless they all use english.. LOL. Or if there is not enough variation for just NATO, have the big guys, like Russia, US, China, Germany.. etc etc..

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

I’d be more apt to use because if they didn’t look so shiny and new, and maybe that’s more about what you use to put them on. But how are use thought a grimy looking decal might work better with a weathered looking vehicle. Is that something anybody does?

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Post by Flight Deck Decals »

Hoth_902 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:58 am
FDD,

I thought I would start a new Thread so that we were not hijacking someone else's thread. You mentioned the flammable markers as being too small and no one needs that much. I think there might be some confusion or maybe not. But to be sure, here are some picture of what i was suggesting.

Again, you may be right and people do not have enough vehicles to want to buy a hole sheet. In my case, my collection of US vehicles is only 500+ strong and I have 4 Fueler HEMMTTs and 5 Fueler FMTVs. I plan to buy more, but not a 100 vehicles. I looked around a little more and could not really find any other truck markings that could sweeten the deal.

Hoth
Hoth,

Now I get where you were going. Thank you for sharing the pictures! Will see what I can come up with.

To your other suggestion I think I could do a sheet for multiple good guys and a sheet for multiple bad guys.

Thanks,
Dan

Hellfish6

Post by Hellfish6 »

What about Chinese vehicle numbers? Bigger and easier, maybe, than the Russian/German ones.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a rhyme or reason to them (there must be) but they look like this:

STS

Post by STS »

Flight Deck Decals wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:45 am
Hoth_902 wrote:
FDD,

Hoth
Hoth,

Now I get where you were going. Thank you for sharing the pictures! Will see what I can come up with.

To your other suggestion I think I could do a sheet for multiple good guys and a sheet for multiple bad guys.

Thanks,
Dan
As far as fuel tankers are concerned, another thing to look at, especially for cold-war-era NATO vehicles is the NATO code. They occasionally had the type of fuel marked on the outside of the tanker.

https://www.nato.int/docu/logi-en/1997/lo-15a.htm

Scource: https://www.fahrzeugbilder.de/bild/Flug ... mit-f.html

Scource: https://www.fahrzeugbilder.de/bild/mili ... en-am.html

Scource: http://www.panzerbaer.de/helper/bw_flugfeld_fz_tw-a.htm

Flight Deck Decals
E5

So I'm almost done with the crossed sabers. I have been sizing them to CH-47, UH-1s, Apaches, Cobras, and Black Hawks. Is there anything other vehicles I should scale them to?

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Hellfish6 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:43 am
What about Chinese vehicle numbers? Bigger and easier, maybe, than the Russian/German ones.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a rhyme or reason to them (there must be) but they look like this:
I can do the Chinese but I have also not been able to find the number system convention... Also not easy finding any general info on units.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

M1s and Bradley's?

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

Hoth_902 wrote:
FDD,

This one would be more difficult to pull off. I guess you could do it in black and green like in the picture and the person applying it would have to plan well on how they painted to make it work.

This is the one for HEMMTT and then you could include them with the FMTV Fueler.

I thought I saw some HEMMT and FMTV trucks with Potable Water markings on the side, but I hve not found them yet.

Hoth
If they were just in black, except for the red/white HAZMAT placard of course, I might be interested. With sixty-four M-978 Fuel HEMTT's and ten M-969A1 Fuel trailers a full sheet would work for me. Would love it if it included some blue Potable decals on it. Need enough for six M-978 Water HEMTT's for the Water Purification section in the FSB. Then there is the Artillery Brigade to do next.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Hoth_902 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:07 am
M1s and Bradley's?
I did not think they marked tanks or IFV with crossed sabers?

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Let me look around and see.....I thought I saw some m1s on the front of turret and Bradley's on the tow launcher.....might not be worth doing. Give me a couple of days to see if I find a picture or too.

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

In addition to sabers, how about red & white cavalry guidons? You do see those on vehicles. I'd also like to see tail codes for jets which identify their home base. I tried to do some with separate letters and it was a disaster so I scraped them.
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

Hellfish6

Post by Hellfish6 »

So another possibly ridiculous request... Marine Corps tank IDs in yellow.

Just the C23-type of numbers.

These could work for both AMTRACs and Tanks (including M103 heavies).

Most Marine Corps battalions would have had a Headquarters and Support Company, an A Company, B Company and C Company.

For Tanks,

HQ Units would generally have markings beginning with H
Engineer vehicles might have markings beginning with E
Flame tanks (9 per battalion) would have markings beginning with Y

Line companies would have letters A, B, C or D and 3x5-tank platoons (or 4x8? AMTRAC-platoons) so letters like A15 (5th tank in 1st platoon of A Company) or A47 (7th AMTRAC in the 4th platoon of A company).

Hopefully you can organize these into a sheet or two. Columns or rows of A, B, C, and D, one or two with H, E and Y, and then sets of numbers for us to put together (mostly 1-5, with some extra 6, 7, or 8s).

Thanks

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Had to be yellow... It is one of the hardest colors to register correctly at tiny scales... So I'm currently in the middle of a "large lift" decal design for a new line. I will add them to the "to do" list once the new line of decals is completed. Was the yellow number convention only used during the Vietnam period?