Micro Armor Storage

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Micro Armor Storage

Post by redleg »

I thought I would start a new thread to discuss how we store our micro armor and micronauts. I feel like I’m always looking for newer and better ways to store my lead and I’m sure others are as well. Let’s see how you guys store your toys!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

redleg
E5

Re: Micro Armor Storage

Post by redleg »

I have been through several different storage schemes, and I’m still not completely satisfied. Right now I’m building wooden boxes with trays that slide in and out and hold a complete battalion sized unit. I have a table saw which proved indispensable for cutting the grooves into the box. Other than that I just used a drill to get it all put together.

I got a 1” thick x 12” wide board (I think it was 6’ long). I put the blade on my table saw over to 45 degrees and I cut 2 sections of the board that are 13 inches long with a 45 degree cut on one end. Then I cut a 25 inch section with 45 degree cuts on both ends. With the saw blade vertical, I drop the blade so that it’s only sticking up about a quarter inch and then I cut grooves in the boards (usually 2 or 3 passes to make sure the trays will fit).

Drill holes and crew the walls together and then fit a tray in just to make sure everything is lined up correctly.

After that you I just cut a piece of plywood to fit (1/2 or ¾ inch thick piece) and then cut another piece of plywood for the door. I use L brackets to attach the top and bottom and then spray paint the whole thing. After the paint dries I attach the door with small hinges, a clasp for the door, 2 handles, and some little rubber feet on the bottom so that my wife doesn’t get mad when I set it on the kitchen counter.

Last edited by redleg on Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Some other storage techniques I've used include the Game Craft Tank Transports. I really like them - they're stackable and they can include cutouts for specific types of vehicles, but they didn't hold a full battalion including HHC. I still have some of them for the units that aren't in my big boxes.

I also use some plastic boxes that I got at Michael's that I believe are for scrapbooking paper. Right now they are holding mostly ships.

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

I have some of the game craft tank transports but may consider retiring them in favor of cardboard boxes with foam padding for additional units. I love the big wooden box.

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Post by Flight Deck Decals »

The big box makes a lot of sense. Had a bad experience with one of those Michael's boxes...Still makes me cringe thinking about it...
I use cardboard shipping boxes ($1 each) for ships and small "Bunker Box" like acrylic ($1.50each) boxes for ground forces.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those are great storage methods. I'm soooo jealous of your work space! That looks like a proper wargaming and modeling room!

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

Yeah, I want his space too. :D

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

Flight Deck Decals wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:35 am
The big box makes a lot of sense. Had a bad experience with one of those Michael's boxes...Still makes me cringe thinking about it...
I use the Bead Landing Storage Box 10505021 from Michael's. I cut 1/2" roll foam from Joann's and place a piece in the bottom of each compartment, place the vehicles in there and at some point I will go back and cut another piece and put it on top. I have a form template worked out that is sized to go on top of the models below the lid. It shows what sub-unit is in each of the eight compartments and all of the vehicles that go in each compartment.

3rd Brigade Units:
Brigade HQ: 2 boxes
2-67 ARM: HQ - 4 boxes, four line companies 1 each
4-67 ARM: HQ - 4 boxes, four line companies 1 each
1-36 Mech: HQ - 4 boxes, five line companies 1 each
2-82 FA: HQ - 3 boxes, three firing batteries 1 each, Service Battery 3 boxes
54th FSB: HQ - 2 boxes, Company A (S&T) 3 boxes, Company B (Maint) 3 boxes, Company C (Medical) 2 boxes
23 ENG (Cbt) - one company - 2 boxes

Non 3rd Brigade Units:
1/40 FA: HQ - 3 boxes, three 8" firing batteries 1 each, one MLRS battery 2 boxes, Service Battery 3 boxes
3-5 ADA: I have not mapped out yet but four for the Vulcan (2) and Chaparral (2) firing batteries and three for the Avenger firing batteries

Still to come is the Divisional Artillery HQ, 1-333 FA (TAB), 503rd MP (at least one platoon), 22nd Chemical and 143rd Signal.

11 ACR: Troop K - 1 box and Troop N - 1 box.
421 Medical Company (Air Ambulance) 1 box

I do not transport them for gaming so I have not spent any time yet working on the top piece of foam for each compartment yet. But they store nicely in them.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

hat's a lot of boxes Bde Cdr! I googled them to see what thy look like and they're pretty cool! Do they stack well? I assume you label the box as well so that you know what unit is in each box?

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

redleg wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:48 am
hat's a lot of boxes Bde Cdr! I googled them to see what thy look like and they're pretty cool! Do they stack well? I assume you label the box as well so that you know what unit is in each box?
They stack smoothly but they do not nest. I have a label that lays just inside the lid with everything in each compartment. I am working out what I want on the side or sides to view them when they are up on the shelf. Still a work in progress but I always stack the battalions with HQ on the top of the stack and companies below or HQ, firing batteries then Service battery. So not hard to figure out.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

So I have 25 or so panzer keeper and micro armor boxes, and a variety of plastic tool boxes that store my finished micro armor. I bought from Harbor Freight (pretty cheap around $12) these carriers with individual boxes that I thought would work for transporting the minis. Where I don't know because I really don't take them anywhere hahaha! Anyway, I added foam from Pelican case insert and labelled generally:

I inherited these old dentist chest from my father who used them to store his shell collection. I need to line them but my plan is store my minis in here:

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Ooh, ooh! I want a dental cabinet!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Nice organization Burt! I love the plastic storage, but damn that dentist cabinet is awesome! Someone else had mentioned a map cabinet as well (Hath was that you?) with shallow drawers. I kept thinking that I want my storage system mobile in case I ever take my stuff anywhere for a wargame, but it's ben years since I went anywhere for a wargame and took my stuff.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Redleg,

It was I that mentioned the Map draws.. I also think Engineering Drawing drawers would be awesome too. I do want to be able to have mobile carriers so that I can travel with my mini's, but when at home, I would love to have a display draw with everything laid out in units and formations. Then when I play or want to show my stuff, I can just open a draw. These mini's are much more impressive when shown in a full formation. Just one guys opinion.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

For storage I keep all the painted minis in a glass display shelf. But for packing them in to go in case I get that extremely rare chance to play. I packed them in a old Games Workshop case.