Burt's AAR - Romania 1944

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

BurtWolf
E5

Burt's AAR - Romania 1944

Post by BurtWolf »

I finally took some shots and am working on an AAR for a recent game of Blitzkrieg Commander I did solo. Fictional background, just roll with it...

Background: Elements of Gross Deutschland Division struggle to contain Soviet's second offensive in Romania in May of '44. During a controlled shrinking of their lines, they have blown bridges near Targu Frumos. A single bridge was kept open for straggler units to reach the German lines. The infantry holding the bridge and the southern bank have fallen back after heavy bombardment smashed their position, and now a small kamfgruppe races to the southern bank to hold the remaining bridge and the adjacent Hill 103.1. The kampfgruppe establishes positions too late as elements of the Soviets 16th Tank Corps have crossed in some force. Also, soviet infantry has crossed a collapsed bridge, without detection, behind the kampfgruppe. This is a meeting engagement of sorts.

Forces: German: 3x Pzkw V Panthers; 1x Pzkw IV 75mm lang; 1x PAK40 75mm AT; 1x Sdkfz 251/9 75mm inf gun; 1x Sdkfz 234/2 Puma Recon; 1x Sdkfz 7 Flak Vierling 20mm; 4 infantry squads; 2 hvy MG; 3 HQs

Forces: Soviet: 3x T34/85; 3x SU-85 AT; 3x T70 recce; 4x SU76 assault guns; 2x SU57 AT; 2x 37mm AAA; 11 infantry (smg) squads; 3 HQs

Objective: Within 8 turns, Soviet player must capture supply dump on Hill 103.1, Germans must hold Hill and try to recapture bridge.

The set up:

The Soviets main column consists of T70s, T34s and then the SU85s with SU57 on flanks near the bridge. A separate column of SU-76 assault guns and infantry skirts the other side of the hill. The Germans are dug in throughout bombed out buildings and protecting roadways, unaware of the threat to their rear...

Here is a view of Hill 103.1 and the supply depot from the rear of German lines, looking towards the Soviet's "bridgehead".

The three T70s get smacked hard and are wiped out, 2 panther shots and a PAK40 round on opportunity fire kill them off. The T34s press towards the panthers, while the SU-85s head to Hill 103.1 to deal with the PAK. The infantry and SU76s make their way under infantry and HMG fire towards the hill as well.

The Germans command rolls stink - pretty much through this game, so their actions are limited. The Sdkfz 234 and 251 hang tight on the road, and the infantry hunker down elsewhere.

The SU85s don't want to go up the hill without infantry who is slogging behind them under small arms fire and getting suppressed. They wheel over and around the hill to help out the T34s in a good ole fashion barroom brawl with the Panthers. The Pzkw IV eventually does land a killing hit on an SU-76...

A Panther gets laid out with a hit through it's flank as the Soviets press on and the infantry try to get steam to get up the Hill.

The kampfgruppe tries to concentrate on the side of the hill and the Flak Vierling and the Pzkw IV race to the panthers. The Flak driver has got to think he is on a suicide run...

As the Soviets charge up the hill to the empty PAK position, the Panthers finally hit a T-34 and wipe it out. The Pzkw IV tries to engage the SU-85s with no success...

With support from the SU-57s and 37mm AAA (which have been fire to little effect all along), the soviet infantry struggle to take the ruins on the top of the hill

Meanwhile, the sneaky infantry squads from the blown bridge have contacted the rear of the kampfgruppe and with good rolls, wiped out the Sdkfz 234/2 and HMG in a series of close assaults

The Soviets quickly wipe out the Pzkw IV as the infantry attack the rear of the remaining two Panthers. The Germans try to coalesce on the southern half of the hill top but they have been decimated. The game ends with the Soviets threatening the depot but not quite capturing it!

BurtWolf
E5

Re: Burt's AAR - Romania 1944

Post by BurtWolf »

My assessment - Soviets should have focused more on the front of the hill but ran to engage the Tanks. Their infantry by the hill struggled in the meantime slowing the pace of the attack. The infantry on the rear were excellent attackers but just arrived on the set too late.

The Germans rolled poorly but their defense was too scattered. The panthers were defending too far from the hill and should have moved over to the flank to tighten things up. There were infantry next to the Panthers that never fired a shot as they were in wrong place at wrong time and then running for the Hill when all hell broke loose.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi Burt!

That is a great AAR and a very nice terrain layout using the Terrain Maker system. You tell the story very well and provide a good ** CENSORED ** of why things went as they did. I really enjoyed following this.

Pete

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Great looking set up and terrain. Nice game.
Chris

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Great looking terrain, minis, and awesome AAR, thanks for sharing Burt.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's a great AAR Burt! The map is excellent, followed by pics of some fantastic terrain and models! We need more of this!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

mluther
E5

Post by mluther »

So nice to see some good looking historical AARs in this forum again. And one that has terrain to boot!
Thanks,
Mark

Vergeltungswaffe

Post by Vergeltungswaffe »

Wonderful AAR and great terrain.

This thread was a real pleasure.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Burt - Great AAR. Beautiful board, very interesting tactical situation, and great narrative. Looking forward to more of these from you.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Great board Burt! Love the AAR to boot! Very well done.

That is one thing I believe myself and many others fail at... using/playing with the units in a wargame type scenario. I am usually building, creating, painting etc etc and fail to actually setup a scenario and play one out. Need to get back into doing that...

Kudos to you! Very inspiring!
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Thanks all - appreciate the feedback! I hope to do another one soon - I’m retiring in a couple months and looking to have a bit more time to model/game.

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Burt - Congratulations on your upcoming retirement.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Post by Flight Deck Decals »

Burt,

Great AAR and Awesome board! Congratulations on your new fulltime job as a painter & gamer!

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Thanks fellas!! I’m looking forward to it!!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

I retire in July, things could get very busy in here this summer, lol.