Galerie de la Begemot - 2nd Edition

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

panzergator
E5

Re: Galerie de la Begemot - 2nd Edition

Post by panzergator »

DAMN! I keep coming back to look at those MASSTER M60A1s! They are SO GOOD! They make MASSTER camo look GOOD!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Could you tell me what colors you used for the MASSTER, please?

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

A minor point - 3-64 Armor was 3ID, not 3AD. 3AD battalions were either 32nd Armor or 33rd Armor (3each). Those regiments were original from the division establishment. 2nd and 3rd ADs were the only "heavy" divisions in WWII, each having two regiments. They began with both combat command and regimental headquarters, with regimental lettered companies A through M (less J). The remaining armored divisions had three tank battalions numbered independently of a regimental affiliation.

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Panzergator - I'll start with your last posting. Wrong division. Doh! That is another tick in the "Aw Sh*t" column for me.

Colors used: I mix my colors using oils. So the sand is a mixture of white, yellow ochre, burnt umber and black. The green is french marine blue, yellow ochre, and burnt umber. The reddish color is white, yellow ochre, burn umber and burnt sienna. Maybe some black also. I like the challenge of mixing colors and I prefer oils because they dry slowly and I feel I and not the paint is in control of the process. I have seen sets of bottled paints offered for sale for the MASSTER scheme, if you are contemplating painting some vehicles. Search the internet using MASSTER and it should turn up.

Regarding the Tankograd books. I bought the volumes for Reforger 76 (which I got to participate in) and Reforger 77. The picture identifications do need to be taken with some caution. I noted in the volume on the 76 Reforger a couple of picture errors. The front inside cover shows an M113 of B company of the 1-39 in OD. We were MERDC by that time. Page 17 shows a TOW track in MASSTER that is identified as being part of CSC 1-39. Since the 1-39 was in OD when I joined in March 1976, I don't think the 1-39 was ever in MASSTER. Caveat emptor. Nevertheless, I did find the photos very useful.

This project is partly your fault. You made me aware of this scheme in some postings you made some while ago, which got me curious.

I appreciate your interest in my work. Thanks.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Excellent work on the MASSTER scheme, Begemot! I think you nailed it very well from what I have seen in reference pictures. Keep em coming!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Spectacular paint job Begemot! And great discussion - this thread is full of eye candy AND it's educational!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Fantastic camo. Looks to be a winter scheme.
Chris

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Not winter scheme, just year-round USAREUR MASSTER. Only used in Europe, predecessor to MERDC - about '74-'76/'77. Pics can be found most likely in Tankograd books on M60 series and period REFORGER. Damned hard to find good color pics on USAREUR MASSTER. Have to be careful about colors, also, as some rely on the printer's accuracy.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

For those interested in USAREUR MASSTER, a search on Bing provided many images. DO NOT take the MODELS as an example, While a couple are very good, most are not accurate in pattern or color or both. In particular, M60A2s did not get this camo. A2s were issued starting in the summer of '75, by which time the decision had been made to apply MERDC. A2s were issued in a dark, almost black green OD. We put black stars on. Initially, we applied white bumper numbers, but quickly changed to black. My battalion painted MERDC beginning in late Fall, '76. Even though the A2 battalion was right next door, I was too busy to notice when they painted, but believe it was some time after we finished in early '77. 3rd AD did not iinitially apply the MERDC sand, only the forest green, brown, and black. I can't speak for any other division. I know I've said all that before. Sorry for repeating. I don't know when the USAREUR MASSTER was applied, but from photos and reading, I gather it was late '73 or more likely '74. It was not intended to camo for human eyes, but reconnaissance satellites and planes. Most tanks, after an hour or so in the field, were covered with a light dust or brown mud, which negated much of the camo effect and made a tankj fairly easy to pick out in a woodline.

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

An Announcement.

I have created a website, "The Lair of the Begemot" (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com/), where I will post all things Begemot, past, present and future. I have begun filling it out, but in time it will be the definitive Begemot.

I decided to do this because: firstly, having seen the original Galerie de la Begemot disappear from this site, never to be restored, was greatly annoying; and secondly, the vagaries of this site's availability for sometimes extended periods. Time, I decided, to spread the risk.

I will continue to support this site and post new things here as well as at the new Lair. For those of you who find my work of interest you have another option available to you. The new site's organization and layout is clearer and cleaner and it will be easier to find a particular posting.

So I invite you to take a look and make a note.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

Please visit my website "Lair of the Begemot": (https://lairbegemot.blogspot.com)

jwbolen

Post by jwbolen »

Minor point on earlier post in the thread, my admitted limited research showed different make up of WW II heavy divisions. What I found was the heavy armored divisions
had two armored regiments with 9 tank companies. The first battalion A,B and C with light tanks. They shuffled companies so each battalion had one light and 2 medium. The companies kept their letters. Each regiment shuffled them differently.
I someone has found different information, please share.
J W Bolen

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's a great website, Begemot! I will be visiting often to see what new posts you have. Great looking games and vehicles - very inspirational!

Begemot
E5

Post by Begemot »

Redleg - Thanks. Glad you liked the site. I'm still feeling my way through the web site tool's quirks and it will take a while to put everything on it, but it's worth the effort.

Begemot
The summer grasses.
For many brave warriors
The aftermath of dreams.
--- Basho

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

WWII armored division evolved throughout WWII. Early on, the exploitation mission reigned supreme, withemphasis on light tanks. That evolved prior to North Africa, however, by which time there were two types - heavy and light. The heavy division consisted of 2 armored regiments, an armored infantry regiment, and Divarty. The light division consisted of 3 armor battalions, 3 infantry battalions, and 3 arty battalions. 2d and 3rd Armored Divisions remained heavy divisions throughout the war while all others were light. By then, the tank battalions consisted if three medium companies and a light tank company. There were some exceptions, among them 70th Tank Battalion, which was all light tanks when it landed in North Africa. The light tank companies were really superfluous, being relegated to scouting, carrying casualties to aid stations, and occasionally dicey terrain missions.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I visited the Lair of Begemot again today and saw your Cold War stuff. Fantastic! I can't believe you actually trimmed down the kevlar helmets to make steel pots! And the MERDC is very cool! Great work!