Places of Interest

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Places of Interest

Post by redleg »

Instead of a separate thread for every destination I thought I'd start a generic "any gaming stores in this city" thread.

Next week I'm in New Orleans for the whole week. I'm not holding my breath for any micro armor stores, but wondering if anyone knows of any gaming places there, or any places of interest from a military history perspective.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Orion320

Re: Places of Interest

Post by Orion320 »

Go to the WW II Museum. Be prepared to spend two to three full days there. There is a lot to see.

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Post by Flight Deck Decals »

Yep, what Orion320 said.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Welllll, they don't have microarmor, but I NEVER pass up spending an afternoon on the patio at Pat O'Brien's with a few Hurricanes. Proposed to my wife there. And, of course, there are restaurants with po'boys, red beans and rice, etouffe, jambalaya, ohGOSHTHE FOOD IS GREAT. It made up for being stationed at Fort Polk! Almost. (Meeting my wife there made up for the rest). If you wander around the French Quarter, you MAY find an old shop selling miniature, vut more the Brittain's type.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Back in 1993 when I was there for a convention, I took some time and went on a Riverboat ride down the Mississippi. One of the stops was the New Orleans Battlefield from the War of 1812. The boat only stopped for a fairly short time but I got to get off and look around a bit. There was a museum there.

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

I love NOLA. I was there for the Sugar Bowl a couple of years ago and had a great time.
I second visiting the WWII museum. Very well done and run. I have a couple of bricks there for my uncles who were Vets, one a P 47 Pilot and the other an infantry Sergeant.
There are a couple of used book stores in the quarter that might be worth a visit if you end up with time to kill.
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks for all the great info guys! I will definitely be hitting up the WW2 museum! I'll grab some pics if I can while I'm there. And I think I may need to check out Pat O'Brien's while I'm there too!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

You need tickets to visit the WW2 museum and I got some! I'll be visiting on Wednesday morning! Thanks for the tips!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

The WW2 museum was definitely the highlight of the trip for me! I jiggly recommend it to everyone. Now I feel an overwhelming urge to place a large order of WW2 micro armor! Only got to spend one day in there - now I'm trying to figure out how to get back here for another visit.

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

I'm very happy you enjoyed your trip to New Orleans, Redleg!

Sadly for me, the WWII Museum was not around the last time I was in New Orleans. I went a few times for work and a convention or two but the last time I was there was the early 2000s. It will be something to look forward to in the future, however.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Here are a couple of pics to whet your appetite!

And one for PanzerGator! We stopped in and had a few for you and your wife!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Ahhh, Pat O'Brien's, home of the Hurricane, meeting place of the Gator Guard on the Saturday before the Tuesday, singing "We Are the Boys from Old Florida" ad infinitum together, the place where I proposed to my wife... What MEMORIES! Ah, to visit once more...

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I've got another trip coming up next month - heading to Pittsburgh for a week with a possible side-trip to Cleveland. Anybody know if there are any micro armor or wargaming stores, or if there are any places of interest that I might want to visit?

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

I’ll have to check Redleg and get back to you.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

If you are taking I-70, the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson. If you are going trough Louisville, Fort Knox is a 45minute trip south on 31W. Patton Museum, whic was a helluvalot better before the Armor School moved to Benning, but it still has Patton stuff.