My gripe

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

rdenman62
E5

My gripe

Post by rdenman62 »

Ok my gripe here is probably not going go over too well with some but I just feel the need to vent frustration about certain companies in our hobby. I understand the covid has affected some and as a business owner myself I have had difficulty attracting and hiring new employees. However we have not allowed that to affect our service to our customers to the extent that some of these hobby businesses seem to have and most of all we do not ignore customers email inquiries.
I strive to deliver fast service and delivery but realize that the latter is dependent on the delivery service we use. This gripe is about those companies that do not respond to inquiries regarding your orders or fail to ship in the stated time frame. Or they “print” shipping labels but still do not actually ship the item for days afterwards. I’ve placed 4 large orders over 4 days ago to various companies that have in my opinion plainly ignored an inquiry into my orders as to when they will ship. It is now Friday so pretty much can guarantee none of my orders will be processed and shipped before next week. Delays in processing your orders and when they will ship should be noted BEFORE you place your order or at least respond to your request for information regarding when they can expect your orders to be shipped thus giving me an option to buy from you or not and accept the delays. Simply blaming covid for poor service and shipping is getting a little old and irritating as is them ignoring emails. The other gripe is they bill and collect from your credit card and still do not ship in a timely matter. The Fair Credit Act requires a vendor to ship within the stated time frame they advertise after billing your credit card. But some companies refuse to list a shipping time frame at all and bill your credit card and still not ship your orders in a timely matter or provide a ship by date.
GHQ is one of them. Sometimes they delay processing an order and shipping it for over a couple weeks. I’m sorry, but to me that’s simply seems excessive for a company that has been in business for 50 some years, right? But they’re the only game in town and god I do love their stuff. So either I put up with that delay from GHQ or quit buying directly from them. But I choose to accept this from GHQ based on experience.
They’re some companies on here please explain to us why the long delays in processing orders, refusing to state a ship by date, not responding to email inquiries, are you that busy? Is Covid the problem, still? Having issues hiring anyone that still wants to work? Why are you billing credit cards instead of just placing a transaction hold on the card until the items are actually shipped? There are many companies and hobby online stores that process and ship within 24-48 hrs, so what is the issue? I am not trying to stir anything up here, I just simply would like answers to what exactly is the problem.
I am just frustrated that I got to wait darn near a couple weeks or more to even have an order processed or emails responded to if they even get answered, provide a ship by date even though they have had my $$ since the start of placing my order and another week or two for the delivery services to deliver my orders...but don’t even get me started on delivery services....
Peace thru superior firepower

panzergator
E5

Re: My gripe

Post by panzergator »

I ordered something from Scotia - two battalion's worth - of M59s, through Chris Stockton. He kept me regularly informed of status and their difficulties, but Chris and I waited almost TWO YEARS for our order. I'm sure Brexit and COVID affected that. On the other hand, large order or small, I don't usually wait more than two weeks. While I understand your frustration, GHQ aint Amazon. I'm sure they all multi-task.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

StarCruiser
E5

Post by StarCruiser »

I've found it varies quite a bit but usually, it's two weeks or less with GHQ. Covid-19 has most definitely affected them as well as the rest of us.

Shippers are often backlogged, the supply chain - in general - has been disrupted. GHQ doesn't make the white metal alloy that they use to produce their miniatures, they have to order it and wait for supply to come in. Same goes for the RTV rubber compounds they use to create a production mold. Occasionally, a production mold tears due to long term wear - and that'll delay things while a new one is made from the existing masters...

They are a small shop - with only a few people multitasking all day. With all of that in mind, I do understand that they can't keep everyone fully apprised of what is going on, right or wrong. Doing so may only delay the process even further.

All of that said, my experience is that they often perform near miracles in the quality of their products and promptness of service. Are they perfect? Of course not, they're human.
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that the thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion." - Programmer's Mantra

Guroburov
E5

Post by Guroburov »

Yeah, I've found it usually take GHQ about 2 weeks to get the order ready and shipped. The only time it takes longer is when they're swamped during a sale or the time they had to make a fresh mold. The general slowdown of packages due to the head of USPS and his "improvements" notwithstanding, we all want our toys faster. Communication or posting an estimate would help. But as everyone says, they're a super tiny company. So they're stretched pretty thin to cover all the jobs.

rdenman62
E5

Post by rdenman62 »

Well to follow up my original post, one order has shipped to me and provided tracking info. GHQ I have yet to hear from but I think that’s par for the course. The other two orders I’ve heard absolutely nothing from even though I have emailed them 3 times. They all have been paid and have my money but have not shipped me anything nor responded to emails requesting info on my orders. It looks like I’m gonna have to file a claim with PayPal to either get my orders or my money back. Either way it could’ve been easily solved by a simple email response from the vendor to me letting me know when and if it has been shipped.
UPDATE: just got a heads up from GHQ that my order will ship today...

Tanker Mike

Post by Tanker Mike »

I have been to the GHQ operation in Minnesota and to say it is small is understatement. I don't expect L.L. Bean type customer service from them because of that. For as long as I can remember, orders usually take about two weeks to process. I always order during their sales and know they are swamped. The fact they take that long really doesn't bother me as I will be lucky to get around to organizing them let alone painting them in two months or two years.

Billing a credit card right away and then shipping much later is annoying I will admit. I assume that the instant billing is an automated feature of the website check-out.

I will say this, each time someone contacts them by phone or email wanting to know "Where is my order?", it takes time away from fulfilling orders.

Mike

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

A small order called in on Monday April 5th. One (1) bit to order and since I did not want it traveling alone I ordered an additional six (6) blister packs. In the hands of the USPS on Thursday April 8th and on my door step waiting for me as I was leaving work Tuesday morning April 13th. Email that it was on its way and accurate tracking all the way through. It kept telling me delivery would be the 13th. Not bad. I realize that this was not during a sale which is the only time I usually order due to the large volume of my orders but I do not believe it has ever taken my orders more than an additional week. I consider that awesome work for a small operation and think positively that it is taking a while because that, hopefully, means they have lots of sales going on. More sales for them = being around with us for many more! Obviously this order had to be off sale due to the bit. I occupy my time waiting for each large order trying to finish up some painting so when the new vehicles come in there is room for them. I am by no means right around the corner from MN and so also applaud the USPS. That and they delivered it hours before they even deliver our regular mail. So kudos to GHQ and the USPS!
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

CDP

Post by CDP »

I put an order in around 18th May. Commenced its travel on the 25th. Normally they take a week to get to customs somewhere like San Francisco then a few weeks to get to Oz. The deliveries normally take longer to get from Sydney to Brisbane ( approx 1000 KM) than to get to Australia. However I am still waiting for my delivery. Some how its ended up leaving Miami on the 11th July. I hope its not going to Austria instead of Australia.

Don't get me wrong. GHQ, love the figures. Best quality out of all the manufactures. Wont stop me ordering but there is a lot to be said about the whole delay in the entire world wide distribution at the moment. Maybe this order will turn up for Christmas. :D
Cheers

Carl D Peachey

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

I think everyone is missing the point of rdenman62 complaint. Please correct me if I am wrong. But here we go..

I believe the crux of the issue is communication. We can all agree that there can be various reason for delays and it happens. The problem is lack of communication. By now GHQ should know what the average delays have been and they should make a statement on the web site and possibly even send an email with all new orders. I can tell you from experience, if your credit card does not work for whatever reason, they suddenly find the time to get in touch with you. GHQ is a great company, but the only thing I think they need to improve is communication. When there is an issue, communicate. Post something on the web site that states how the process works today. Everyone understands COVID and the issues that its created, but we are loyal customers and our purchases keep the lights on. I love GHQ and I understand they are having issues.. But they need to communicate. Hire someone for minimum wage to write emails to costumers. The issue is, they are over the top in what they provide.. There is no real competition and so they do not feel the need to waist time on explaining the situation and what to expect. At the very least, they can post something on the web site that explains what to expect during COVID. A little communication goes a long way. Most of the complaints, on this forum, has to do with a lack of communication. Its that simple. The customers will understand if you are honest and up front with them.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

Interesting. I agree with the OP, but my experience with GHQ is just the opposite. I place an order, get a confirmation, and usually have my stuff in 10 days or less. But my orders are very small, so it's likely they don't have to do much/any casting to send my order out. I read of some orders here that make my eyes pop, so it may take a while for them to cast those up.

BTW I can tell you a lot of "companies" who manufacture miniatures are nothing of the sort. I retail quite a few ranges here in the U.S. One is a one man shop who casts in a garden shed. Another is a two man shop (sculptor in one city, caster in another). In many/most cases they also have day jobs. I'm also a one man shop, but I answer my email :mrgreen:
Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Lately my orders have been mixed. Some 9n point and others no communication and late. Customer service otherwise has been great
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

rdenman62
E5

Post by rdenman62 »

You hit the nail on the head, Hoth_902

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

My most recent order was received within a week - about 20 packs, and I received some status email at one point. I haven’t had to wait past a week and a half or so, but my orders are typically smaller. Though eager to get them, I just find my place of zen and know that I will get them when I get them.

Comms are critical and I understand that frustration.

CDP

Post by CDP »

Woo Hoo.

My Order has finally turned up. 84 days travelling time. Very abnormal but these days what isn't? I thought it was still on a boat in the middle of the ocean.
Cheers

Carl D Peachey