Dead Llama Studio

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Re: Dead Llama Studio

Post by redleg »

Great paint jobs! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

DeadLlama

Post by DeadLlama »

Thanks for the comment redleg. Play testing with friends and learning the rules keeps getting pushed off. Once figuring this game out I'd like to start making maps essentially from scratch in Photoshop and a digital painting program. At least finished up some panthers I'll be able to use in the play-test. I used some dry pigments for dust which I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Your Panthers look great! Please keep us posted on the play testing. I'm very interested in how things work out.

DeadLlama

Post by DeadLlama »

US forces preparing to attack

German forces in the town

Some stug stand ins for the jagdpanzer 4's

Thanks for your interest redleg. It seems with this scenario I bit off more than I could chew. Spent most of the time with a friend trying to push through the rules and figure them out even though both of us had read through them. I'll have to start smaller and work up. The video game combat mission normandy has a few intro scenarios I might be able to draw inspiration from. The game seems fun it just really needs some youtube tutorials lol.

Trying to make it through at least one round a few things became evident: hexes might not be the best as it made moving groups a little confusing but idk maybe theres advantages to hexes (?), and a completely hand/computer made map also seems better to simplify terrain types. Scenario specific the US forces in this seem severely handicapped with having the infantry loaded up on the tanks. If I was reading the rules correctly the tanks can't fire with the infantry onboard and they have to be in a non-firing stance to unload. At first I was thinking I would just charge forward and plop infantry down a 100m away assault style, but yea that would be suicide.

DeadLlama

Post by DeadLlama »

Working on a training map for Normandy terrain to play on and zero in on an art style that's both simplistic and reminiscent of sat data. My over all vision will be to use shaded layers for the elevation, colored diagonal lines for marshes and tall grass, and maybe opaque lines to connect hedgerows. I want something that's simple like ASL but with more art style that can be printed out.

Finally figured out Dead Space rules to apply that make 2d pancake elevation work. I guess these sorts of games use the terminology as blind hexes.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I like the graphics yo posted already! Looking forward to seeing your Normandy training map!