Dead Llama Studio

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

DeadLlama

Dead Llama Studio

Post by DeadLlama »

Hello GHQ community, I'm somewhat new to micro armor but wanted to start getting into the game and especially work on painting models and making maps. I've been painting stuff for the Axis and Allies community and have found a few techniques that might be cool for micro armor. One of them is using markers from Historical Board Gaming to start basing infantry.
Just a test example for now with some basing grit glued in. It needs a matte varnish and in the future I'll have to smooth out the bottom bases a bit but overall I like the composition. Might need some kind of special tool to paint ultra find details, even with a 20/0 brush it's hard.

redleg
E5

Re: Dead Llama Studio

Post by redleg »

Welcome to the forum Dead Llama! That's great looking infantry!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Mike ENG

Post by Mike ENG »

Really nice job on the infantry. I have painted my vehicles at 1/285 but have been too intimidated to paint my infantry figure to date. However when I am able to make the time I plan on try to get a few painted to see how I do. With luck I might come close to what you achieved.
MIke

DeadLlama

Post by DeadLlama »

Thanks for the comments. You should go for it Mike it wasn't too bad and since their so small going outside the lines sort of speak is hard to notice anyway. One thing that made it more difficult for me was that I took them off the spurs and my fingers kept taking off the paint until I glued them down and painted them while on the base.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

If I could give you a tip Llama to help prevent taking the paint off? Take them off the spures before painting and glue them to a finish nail with a dot of Elmers or something similar that is easy to pop off when you finish, but when you are done painting and before removing them, give them a flat clear coat to protect the paint, that will seal it in and make it more durable. I personally use Tamiya flat clear in a spray can. Just a quick spritz its enough.

DeadLlama

Post by DeadLlama »

Thanks Beagle that is helpful. I'm not used to painting infantry this small. I'm really excited to show some DD Sherman's and Panthers though once I'm finished. Two other techniques I've found while painting A&A stuff are using dry pigments over a satin varnish layer and using a gloss varnish to represent water. Essentially my own style has been taking larger model techniques and using what works for miniatures that's still gaming durable.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Welcome to the forum Dead Llama!

Very nice looking infantry indeed!

Love A&A, been playing that since it came out! Just looked up the initial publication year... shouldn't have done that... I feel OLD..................

How is the A&A community? Pretty cool?
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

DeadLlama

Post by DeadLlama »

Yea it's pretty friendly. There's a few Facebook groups that are 3-4k people. The company I got the roundels from has expanded upon the game quite a bit with their own stuff and 3d printing. I bet a lot of those players would probably like micro armor as well. I was originally turned off by rules like advanced squad leader but this seems manageable. The map I'm working on is for the 29th divisions sector of Omaha Beach just to get all the stuff I know about it out of my head. I'm not sure how applicable/fun amphibious invasions are for this game but seems like it's worth a try.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Deadllama,

Little Wars TV did a really great D-day invasion game. I believe it was not 1:1 on the pieces. I am betting it was more like one stand represented a platoon or something larger. They used 1/300 pieces, so GHQ would work fine. Search the following.

Epic D-Day Wargame and Epic D-Day Wargame (Part 2 of 2).

I felt the game looked fun and playable. They actually did the whole landing. I would love to play a similar game.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

DeadLlama

Post by DeadLlama »

Nice the game table their using looks huge. I'll have to watch all of it soon. The map I'm working on will be 1 hex equals 100 meters, so about a 3x2 foot board. Still need to add the hexes and info relevant to micro armor and game-play. Topography is in 10m increments. My map goal is to juxtapose modern with the historical while having something colorful to play micro armor on. Constructive feedback is welcome.
Made with free archival aerial photos found on Vierville-sur-Mer's historical website and google earth. Their policy is kind of in the grey area that you have to leave the logo, can't sell it, and can't alter the image 'too much'. They use to sell license usage but stopped doing it for some reason unfortunately. Hard to see in the preview image but the map has a filter to make it look like an oil painting on canvas material.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Oh wow, that is pretty neat!
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Infantry are painted very well, especially their rifles. Can’t wait to see that board, I’m a sucker for good terrain! Thanks for posting!

DeadLlama

Post by DeadLlama »

Moving on towards game relevant information. Considering using a road style similar to the PC game flashpoint campaigns but might not be necessary. The part of the Micro Armor rules I can't figure out are the 3 different rough terrain types. Do these types represent actual terrain or are they only applied to wrecks and such? If they are terrain types what are they suppose to represent?

CBoy3

Post by CBoy3 »

Nice looking infantry! I can't wait to see more, and the board!

DeadLlama

Post by DeadLlama »

Figured out how to do vector paths and add borders to roads! No idea how to do smooth curves but that's alright for now. Looks like terrain info is up to the scenario designer after looking at some of the micro armor scenario's. Final resolution will be in the 3k range but might have to bump it up even further in the future. Any per-designed scenarios other people might be interested in? I was looking at Abrams fowly and also the Oosterbeek one as possibilities.