Removing Decals - How?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

dnichols
E5

Removing Decals - How?

Post by dnichols »

I was recently gifted a good sized collection of Micro Armor from a friend.

Many of the models have damaged, old/peeling or incorrect decals.

Any ideas, on how can I remove them without damaging the paint?

Thank you!
Daryl L Nichols Jr
Designer
Micro Force: The Game - American Civil War

Beagle
E5

Re: Removing Decals - How?

Post by Beagle »

From my experience, once the glue sets on a decal you basically have to scrape it, especially if it was sealed with clear coat. You could try putting micro sol on it to see if it softens it, that works sometimes. You may be two objects fastened together with an inclined plane wrapped helically around a central axis. :lol:

pmskaar
E5

Post by pmskaar »

Hi dnichols! I agree pretty much with the first part of what Beagle said although I don't know anything about the last part. LOL!

You could try Micro Sol and see if the decal will soften enough to gently scrape off the decal with a toothpick or other similar tool. It really depends on how well the decal has adhered to the paint and if there is something sprayed on top. My suggestion is to try one piece and see how it goes.

I have removed a few decals before but typically ones that are freshly set and no topcoat applied. I usually only do this if somehow the decal got damaged at the last minute or my OCD self says that it was not in the spot I intended.

Other than that, I really can't give any other firm advice.

Pete

dnichols
E5

Post by dnichols »

Appreciate the tips Gentlemen.

I have a bottle of MicroSol so I will give it a try and post the results.
Daryl L Nichols Jr
Designer

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Lol, that was a very Riddler way of saying you might be screwed.

Flight Deck Decals
E5

Post by Flight Deck Decals »

Beagle mentioned the easiest and most straight forward option. If the decals are pealing you maybe in luck. That normally indicates:
1. they were not applied over a gloss
2. setting solution was not used
3. they were not top clear coated

Try a 25 / 75 mix of white vinegar and water. Test soak 1 model for a couple of hours. If that works to release the starch (decal glue) and does not damage the paint you can try increasing the mix to 50 / 50 and or soak time.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Dan

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

pmskaar wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:46 am

You could try Micro Sol and see if the decal will soften enough to gently scrape off the decal with a toothpick or other similar tool. It really depends on how well the decal has adhered to the paint and if there is something sprayed on top. My suggestion is to try one piece and see how it goes.
I find Micro Sol and then a clean pencil eraser can be used with less collateral damage, ie not removing the paint.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

dnichols
E5

Post by dnichols »

Micro Sol only partially worked. I soaked it for about 30 minutes and tried the eraser idea, it didn't come off. My guess is that whoever put them on used some kind of sealer.
Daryl L Nichols Jr
Designer

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

If they are sealed, you’re probably hosed. I don’t know how big the decals are, but the only real option might be to carefully sand or scrape carefully with a #11 blade to just get the decal. But you’ll have to try matching the paint on the backside. Who knows, you might end up with a nice weathering look in the paint.