Vallejo painting

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Beagle
E5

Vallejo painting

Post by Beagle »

Brigade Commander, to answer your question without high jacking Chris’s thread, they paint wonderful and I love them, they are all I use on any of my mini’s, as well as detail painting on my models. I’m not sure which line of Vallejo you bought, if it’s Model Air, that is mixed for airbrushing. If it’s Model Color, it needs to be thinned a little before using it, or else it will dry too quick, and it will be so thick, it will cover fine detail. I’m a bit, um, unconventional than most modellers, I mix with the mark I eyeball instead of measuring, and I use my finger to add the proper amount of water. So I just use regular tap water also. I put a couple drops of color in and old bottle cap, dip my finger in the water cup and add a drop, maybe two to the paint, then mix it with the end of an old paint brush, add more water until I get the consistency I’m looking for, thin, but not runny, you can always add another coat once dry if it’s too thin, much easier than stripping and starting over. Just be sure not to handle the mini too much with your fingers until it’s clear coated, Vallejo is delicate and you will rub it off very easily.

Hoth_902
E5

Re: Vallejo painting

Post by Hoth_902 »

Good information, thanks for the post. I started to dabble with Vallejo. I did some middle easter buildings with them. I need to clear coat them. On that subject, what do you use for clear coating after painting. I have some enamel clear coat, but it's testors. Not sure how long they will produce it. I see the rust oleum name is on it so maybe that is something they will hold on to for a product line.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

So I used to use Testors enamel dull cote for years, and loved it, but when Testors went all Dodo, I switched to Tamiya. It does a really good job, but you have to be very careful to shoot in quick bursts, I’ve leaned the hard way, if you get it on too heavy, it will start to frost, and it will especially fade out paper like the labels and flags I use if you go full beans with it. I may branch out and try something else. I’m very very far from a pro, but I’ve learned a lot of lessons using Vallejo, so I’ll be happy to help or answer any question or share where I can.

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

Thank you Beagle for all of the great tips. I will have to go back at some point and check which the paint is. I remember it as Model Color but now that I see there is also a Model Air, well, I best make sure which it is before I buy some. Apparently we need to have backup paint suppliers. Who knew?!
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

I use Vallejo abs it dries really quickly. After a few years I finally figured out how to thin it with a little water, but I don’t like it too thin. It’s a little bit of a balancing act. Just paint 6000 minis and then you will start to get it right ha ha