Crowd sourcing an OPFOR - Imagi-Nation

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Splod
E5

Crowd sourcing an OPFOR - Imagi-Nation

Post by Splod »

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should use as an OPFOR for my Invasion Australia project.

Historically when playing any sort of homefront games I've either used the Musorian organisations used by the ADF (more-or-less Cold War Soviets) or gone with real Chinese or Indonesian TO&Es. With GHQ releasing more ultra-modern ADF equipment, I want to look at some 2020+ scenarios and wanted an appropriately modern (fictional) OPFOR. This brings me to the GHQ forum and the fine minds that frequent it :mrgreen:

I've come up with the following basic rules to guide creation of the OPFOR:
  1. No straight facsimiles of an existing real life military
  2. The OPFOR should not use any current or historical Australian kit
  3. Equipment should be relatively light, either being amphibious or easily deployed with landing craft
  4. Equipment should be relatively modern, being designed or entering service from 2000+
  5. All equipment should be currently available from GHQ
I'll build a larger TO&E for the Imagi-Nation as I go on, but for my initial games I'm looking at fielding a reinforced mechanised battalion. This means I'm after at least:
  • APC or IFV
  • Mobile anti-tank platform
  • Reconnaissance vehicle
  • MBT
For context, they'll be facing off against an understrength Australian Mechanised Battalion, with armour, cav and SOF support.

I'm looking forward to what you can all come up with!
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

Roger H
E5

Re: Crowd sourcing an OPFOR - Imagi-Nation

Post by Roger H »

Gosh……as far as I can see from your criteria, the People’s Democratic Republic of Papua New Guinea will be making a massed armor drive towards Sydney with its Republican Guards Corps in VAB infantry carriers , VAB Mephisto AT vehicles , AMX-10RC and LeClerc MBTs.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

How about using Japan as the basic framework for your OPFOR? They have some pretty new vehicles that meet your criteria and GHQ makes a lot of them. Japan also has some cool modern ships including some amphibious stuff that GHQ produces.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

OPFOR
Start with LAV-25 or ASLAV (I read your post), to serve as any 8x8 or 6x6 for the enemy. If any barrels are broken, put thicker piece of styrene to serve as a gun with large bore. Or swap turrets as VBC-90.
K-1, S.K. MBT
K-21 AIFV or CinC Marder Hull with GHQ MCV-80 turret (it was my kitbash for the Dardo). If you use K-21 and K-1 then you have beginning of S.K. forces,
VBL or Hummv.
Russian Tigr.
K-9 155mm
SP AAA gun
SAM, tracked Rapier.

There is a mis-mash.
Merkava IV
MCV-80
AMX-10 RC
UAZ-469
ZSU-23-4 or 2K22 Tunguska
2S19 152
Chris

E5

Post by 7.62 »

South Korean kit should cover most of your needs I think.
GHQ seems to be filling them out so maybe a few more to come in the next few weeks too.

Paulojimmathew

Post by Paulojimmathew »

Crowd-Driven Tactical- In order to address the challenge of training tactical creativity, a clear definition of the concept is needed.

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

Well... My distracted mind has come up with several examples.

Enter, The Kingdom of Ba'hai.

I'll set up a dedicated thread for the kingdom in good time, but it originated as a Dutch colony on the coast of the Andaman sea wedged between Myanmar and Thailand. I've developed a modern history and assorted orbats as far back as immediately post the Second World War, and have a convoluted struggle between the traditional monarchy and the people's republican movement.

It's 2021 and the new King has gained control of the democratically elected government; in one fell swoop reinstating himself as king and relegating parliament to a mere shadow of a bureaucracy. King Amir II is seeking to revitalise his father's once great military, now fallen to ruin under the peace-loving Republic of Ba'hai. Emissaries have been dispatched seeking arms, equipment and foreign military guidance while King Amir II turns his eye to the foreign nations who deposed his father, King Ismail VII, and installed the allegedly democratically elected government of the Republic of Ba'hai.

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Maybe rename it. Bahai is a peaceful religion that embraces many faiths.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Baha’i, we welcome you.
These are evil ImagiNations: the EE and GS.
Your Kingdom is not a “Dom”. Although we can help you, ask PG, he keeps calling us Hegemonic.
Look forward to you.
Chris

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

panzergator wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:21 pm
Maybe rename it. Bahai is a peaceful religion that embraces many faiths.
I knew the name was familiar! There's a Bahai centre in my home town :roll:

Luckily the people of Ba'hai ensure specific emphasis when pronouncing the name of their nation, as their predominantly Muslim faith stands distinct from other faiths in the region.

- Douglas Adams

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Welcome to the imagi-nation neighborhood, Ba'hai! We're looking forward to interacting with you! The ROD has a consulate in Thailand, please permit a representative from the ROD to stop by with a fruit basket to welcome you.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

New Canada welcomes the Kingdom of Ba'hai to this world. Please visit us in Victoria BC to discuss forming relations and trade between our two nations in the Pacific. We are looking for new allies.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Yes, visit NC, pleasant this time of year.
1. Do not have any NC military personnel aboard your naval ships!
2. If on line with NC soldiers, prepare to defend your flank.
3. NC doesn’t have any Special Forces
4. Don’t use NC ships for transport, they get sunk.
5. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police are great! Professional.
6. The leadership are nice people. They can find a compromise.
Chris