Fathers' Day

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

nash88

Re: Fathers' Day

Post by nash88 »

Just got a few 3D German truck and jeep samples.
At .60 &.50 ea. they are pretty good. For a collector like my self that build large units this is the way to go.
I must admit I have few hundred GHQ and CinC trucks but its still only a truck and to think I could have had a Tiger or Panther!

Yeah there are a few of us crazies that buy in volume...lol
Just had another look at some of the shapeway products and some items compares well to GHQ. Maybe GHQ should just buy the master and cast in metal?

Roger H
E5

Post by Roger H »

Brother,
You ain’t kidding about the fragility of the 3D stuff. I got all excited to order some of the construction equipment sets to create a couple of Corps Level Engineer battalions . They even had CUCVs and five ton dump trucks . The fragility is an issue in itself, but I’ve also found that paint doesn’t always stick to the surface, superglue distorts the vehicle when it attaches to the base and in the case of the equipment , it easily falls apart or crumbles if it’s not handled like an eggshell . Top it all off, they are EXPENSIVE!
Don’t think I’ll be buying any more for a while .

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Try rInsing in Dawn dish soap for the paint adhesion problem. I'm looking for a coating that will help reinforce the material. I don't handle mine much. I don't think the stuff will stand up to wargaming use.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

panzergator wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:58 am
Try rInsing in Dawn dish soap for the paint adhesion problem. I'm looking for a coating that will help reinforce the material. I don't handle mine much. I don't think the stuff will stand up to wargaming use.
Then I undercoat with an enamel spray paint. The surface paint is acrylic. I strictly model so hoping after a clear dull coat over the top they should be able to handle the short amount of handling for their photo shoots and then back in the box.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.