Fathers' Day

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

panzergator
E5

Fathers' Day

Post by panzergator »

One of my boys presented me with 108 3D-printed XM803s, two battalion's worth, for Fathers' Day. He even primed them and applied the initial coat of OD. Will see if Chris can post pic for me. It's a truly beautiful little model, courtesy of abe87 from this forum, who posted the stl files on thingiverse for us all.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Splod
E5

Re: Fathers' Day

Post by Splod »

108! :shock:

It's my first Fathers' Day this year (we celebrate it in September in the Colonies), and I can only hope my family is half as generous :mrgreen:
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Panzer Gator armor. Ready to run you over.
The M803, formerly known as the XB803..

Chris

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

WOW!!! That's spectacular!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Wow. That is impressive. They look incredible
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Stl file courtesy of abe87 from this forum, who kindly did them after our forum discussion. Both XM803 and KPZ70 are posted and available from thingiverse and may be downloaded free. Download also through yeggi. 8 hours'print time each 54-tank battalion. Think about that 152mm sabot round punching through Soviet chariots!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

If you want peace, prepare for war. I have no intention of becoming a dom.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

WHAT!!??
GS , backing out of your commitment of becoming a member of the Commonwealth. Why?
I can tell ya, it’s great being a member of the Commonwealth.
Chris

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Yea, for YOU, Hegemon

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Wonderful gift. I think it is always great to field that something special that is not readily available.
Looking good in the GS.

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

They look great. Gee…hate to say it but if I was GHQ I would be worry. 3D printer will just get easier and better.
I thought I would never except anything but pewter or lead miniatures but after a few 28mm plastic armies I wouldn’t mind supporting vehicles made for mother materials.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

GHQ has a lot going for it in intricate detail and the fact they hire sculptors. Also, these things are kinda delicate. Probably not hardy enough for wargaming.

I am commissioning a couple items, but I need numbers and GHQ doesn't make them. Abe did a very good job with his stl files, but one has only to look at some stuff on the internet to see his is not always the standard.

Jeff spent about $700 on his setup, and invested time in his learning curve, as well. That's the resin printer.

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

I need trucks in great numbers but very hard to pay for a GHQ truck when I can have a tank.
I hoping to pickup a couple of hundred 3D printed ones.

I’m still on the fence on picking up a printer. Cheaper and better every day.
Just waiting for someone to make a inkjet miniature printer.
If there’s enough demand it might happen.

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

I admit I have a similar thought when it comes to the tank v. softskin debate, but I've forced myself to get over it and just buy the trucks needed for my '67 war project. At least the Israelis used limited trucks on the front line :mrgreen:

On reflection though, I feel that 3D printing is probably best suited for models where a metal production mould isn't worthwhile. For that obscure vehicle you only need two of, or making other support or logistics vehicles. For example, GHQ are unlikely to make anything other than the base model Hawkei. But through 3D design and using local printers, many of the variants can be easily produced to add variety with little expense.
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

nashorn88 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:25 am
They look great. Gee…hate to say it but if I was GHQ I would be worry. 3D printer will just get easier and better.
I thought I would never except anything but pewter or lead miniatures but after a few 28mm plastic armies I wouldn’t mind supporting vehicles made for mother materials.
The only way I can fill out my 23rd Eng(Cbt) with some of the strictly construction equipment and the 54th FSB's tractor-trailers is with Shapeways. Took me almost two decades to buy anything other than GHQ. It was what I expected. Detail decent but very fragile. I only half joke that if one of my wife's cats sneezed anywhere in the house they would all blow over. OCD about having ALL of the vehicles in each unit so I have reluctantly gone that route. But desperately wish they were GHQ pewter! Also, per vehicle, they are from two to five times GHQ's price. One designer has a vehicle that was $15.00. It was close to what I was looking for but it turned out it was for just one vehicle. PASS...

At least for me not the panacea the printer companies tout. I am not a Prognosticar so would not even hazard a guess about Tomorrow.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.