GHQ!!! LOOK AT THIS!!!

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Beagle
E5

Re: GHQ!!! LOOK AT THIS!!!

Post by Beagle »

Well,that lasted 20 minutes. It’s getting very difficult to give a f when the people that this forum was designed for can’t use it because it’s run over with nonsensical spam that no one with a half of brain and a slight amount of common sense wouldn’t click on.
Last edited by Beagle on Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

GHQ more spam just got posted get rid of them, you really need to setup somekind of security check to your forums to prevent more spam from being posted.

whenimaginationfails
E5

Post by whenimaginationfails »

StarCruiser wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:42 am
I've never been able to conceive of what these useless posts are even really for... No one here (no one in their right mind anyway) would even both to look at those gibberish threads, let alone click on any links in them.

No one is going to buy anything from these idiots so, why bother?
They do it for Search Engine Optimization so their pages go up in search engine rankings. My guess is that it isn't effective, but when bots are cheap ...

E5

Post by 7.62 »

whenimaginationfails wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:33 am
StarCruiser wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:42 am
I've never been able to conceive of what these useless posts are even really for... No one here (no one in their right mind anyway) would even both to look at those gibberish threads, let alone click on any links in them.

No one is going to buy anything from these idiots so, why bother?
They do it for Search Engine Optimization so their pages go up in search engine rankings. My guess is that it isn't effective, but when bots are cheap ...
Yep I think you are right, getting back links to a web site helps it rank for sure even if those links do not necessarily generate traffic.
You used to be able to buy 1000's of back links for a few bucks, I'm sure you still can. I believe Google gave links from .com sites a higher value too.
Not sure but it looks like they are also trying to rank by listing keywords to associate with their said sites, hence the pigeon English titles etc.
Last edited by 7.62 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

All spam threads are gone as of the time of this post... It's a refreshing sight! :mrgreen:
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

Spoke too soon my Musorian friend 2 spam posts just appeared.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

They’ve been spamming as the spam has been getting deleted, that’s a pretty big middle finger.

Vergeltungswaffe

Post by Vergeltungswaffe »

Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:47 am
Does anyone know what bulletin board software GHQ is using? - UPDATE: Found in the FAQ that it is phpBB.

Looks like most if not all of the new bot registrations started on May 1st, 2021. Ending auto approval might help here, as would adding a Captcha test for creating accounts. Here is how to add a Captcha to phpBB, if that is what they are using: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... a-captcha/

If GHQ is using phpBB, then they can add this free plug in (https://www.phpbbservices.com/my-software/spam-remover/) to link to the Akismet spam service (https://akismet.com/). I use Akismet for comments on my blogs and it works well with little intervention on my part. Cost is $100/year (https://akismet.com/plans/), which is likely far less than what it would cost to have a person babysit the forum.

I also suggest deputizing a few trusted members as moderators to help with the load or at least mark messages as not viewable so someone from GHQ can review them to make sure valid posts are removed.
This is the key.

It's cheap and effective.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

It is indeed a flood. A tsunami even.

I have already deleted 9 threads this morning. 4 had been reported (by forum members), so were here long enough for others to see them. The other 5 had not yet been reported, and in fact 4 of those 5 appeared only after I started deleting the reported threads. They are, indeed, appearing as fast as they can be deleted. I have little doubt that I will find 1 or 2 more to be deleted as soon as I finish posting this comment.

Captcha is not a fully reliable tool anymore. There are spam-bots that can defeat basic Captcha tests -- which I know as I am webmaster on two corporate websites that face similar spambot floods. I don't know what the answer is, but eliminating the auto-approval of accounts would surely be a start.

MODERATOR Mk1
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

nash88

Post by nash88 »

C'mon don't change! GHQ site is my go to place for ** CENSORED ** and enhancement products.... not like I need it....lol

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Where else can you go unfailingly for an inflated prostate fingernail anomaly anthrax five speed.

GHQ
Site Admin

Post by GHQ »

Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:47 am
Does anyone know what bulletin board software GHQ is using? - UPDATE: Found in the FAQ that it is phpBB.

Looks like most if not all of the new bot registrations started on May 1st, 2021. Ending auto approval might help here, as would adding a Captcha test for creating accounts. Here is how to add a Captcha to phpBB, if that is what they are using: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... a-captcha/

If GHQ is using phpBB, then they can add this free plug in (https://www.phpbbservices.com/my-software/spam-remover/) to link to the Akismet spam service (https://akismet.com/). I use Akismet for comments on my blogs and it works well with little intervention on my part. Cost is $100/year (https://akismet.com/plans/), which is likely far less than what it would cost to have a person babysit the forum.
Thank you whenimaginationfails! We have sent this information to our website developer to look into. This is a really helpful suggestion, and is truly very much appreciated! When you are drowning it is really nice to have someone throw you a lifeline rather than just yell that you should learn to swim better. We are pretty comfortable saying that since this SPAM issue that has grown into a major issue over the last couple month that there is no one who has been more frustrated with it, has been more inconvenienced by it, or has spent more time dealing with it than us at GHQ. We have tried multiple things, have been in communication with our website developers, they have looked into solutions, and we have burned many hours taking these posts and accounts down.

We have just installed a new step in the authentication for newly registered accounts, and hopefully we will see that it will make registrations more difficult. We typically have been getting about 75 bogus account registrations per day, and each one needs to be taken down, as well as each post. We have some very helpful moderates who have taken down many posts, and we have taken down countless posts as well. There has never been any prolonged period when nothing has been done to combat the SPAM on this forum.

Once again, thank you for that very helpful suggestion whenimaginationfails, and to all of you for your patience while we work through this difficult problem.

Thank you for your support,
GHQ

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Well, I do sincerely apologize for my snarkyness. I will readily admit I know two things about the internet, one is how to change websites, and the other one isn’t. My comments weren’t directed at anyone in particular, more venting at the situation, as Mk1 put it, the tidal wave of spammers that completely took over this forum to the point that it was basically unusable for a few days. GHQ, I, and surely all of us appreciate everything you do by providing us with a place to share our work, and to help each other progress in the hobby.

Vergeltungswaffe

Post by Vergeltungswaffe »

Just what the troops needed to hear.

Glad you're on it GHQ.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

cabin4clw
E5

Post by cabin4clw »

Thank you, GHQ!