New Items 2021-2022 Announcement

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

E5

Re: New Items 2021-2022 Announcement

Post by 7.62 »

A most welcome bunch of new releases, I'm sure I will find I need some of them over the coming year.
It is a credit to GHQ that they continue to produce new and interesting micro armour, well done folks.
The price increase was not a surprise, It is better than the 2x4 increase at Home Depot!

Donald M. Scheef
E5

Post by Donald M. Scheef »

Nice to see that GHQ is continuing to produce new models, especially with twelve new Micronauts in line. It's too bad about the price increase, but it's consistent with the rest of the economy. At least GHQ was nice enough to give us warning and allow for last-minute orders at the existing prices.

Don S.
"When a fire starts to burn,
here's a lesson you must learn:
something-something and you'll see
you'll avoid catastrophe."
D'oh!

rdenman62
E5

Post by rdenman62 »

Really looking forward to the JLTV, AMPV, M109A7 and the BREM-1
Peace thru superior firepower

Donald M. Scheef
E5

These are my personal opinions of GHQ’s 2021-2022 season Micronaut releases, in decreasing order of my personal wants:

First of all are two WWII-era battleships.

• UKN58 or 59; WWII UK battleship Duke of York, late-war appearance. This (or the similar Anson or Howe) is one of my personal wishes and had 37 votes in the Micronaut Wish List, tied for 9th place. I will definitely purchase three of these; possibly four (to update UKN10 to late-war appearance) or five (for hypothetical Prince of Wales surviving).
• SUN9; WWII Soviet battleship Sovyetskiy Soyuz (Project 23) design. This is another one of my personal wishes and had 31 votes in the Micronaut Wish List, tied for 16th place. This allows us to fight hypothetical battleships of the era (along with Montana, H-class, and Lion). I will almost certainly order four of these ships to match the number of hulls actually laid down.

Then, two unrelated WWII-era classes

• IJN61; WWII Japan destroyer Kagero-class, late-war appearance. This is not on my most-wanted list but something that I certainly will buy. It had 39 votes in the Micronaut Wish List, tied for 5th place. I will probably purchase four packs to match the approximately 12 ships that survived into 1944 (when one of the twin 5-inch mounts was replaced with additional anti-aircraft guns).
• UKN59 or 58; WWII UK merchant aircraft carrier, oil-tanker based. A total of thirteen oil-tanker based MACs were completed, four new builds and nine of the Dutch-built “triple-12” ships. This type had five votes in the Micronaut Wish List, tied for 688th place. I’m not sure how many I will purchase; at least four.

Next, two contemporary WWI-era destroyer classes. I had wished for these in time for the centenary of the Battle of Jutland but welcome them now. Better late …

• GWG27; WWI Germany destroyer V25 through V48. This is a group of 24 similar vessels that were very active during the war, including combat at Jutland. The early ships were armed with 8.8 cm guns; some of the later with 10.5 cm guns in an identical arrangement. I would prefer the 8.8 cm guns, which is the armament they would have carried at Jutland. Four ships in this group were about 5% longer than the others, but I am willing to ignore this difference. This class had 21 votes in the Micronaut Wish List, tied for 52nd place. I will definitely purchase eight packs.
• GWB41, 42, or 43; WWI UK destroyer “K” class (ex- Acasta-class). This class consisted of twenty ships, 12 to a standard Admiralty design and eight “special” hulls of slightly different dimensions. I am willing to ignore the differences and purchase seven packs of this product. These ships experienced wide use, including at Jutland. The class had 28 votes in the Micronaut Wish List, tied for 26th place.

Two more WWI-era types:

• GWB42, 43, or 41; WWI UK seaplane carrier Engadine. This was a cross-channel steamer converted by adding a hanger and handling cranes aft. There was no provisions for aircraft taking off from or landing on the ship; they were lowered to and raised from the water by the cranes. This ship is notable for having participated in the Battled of Jutland. One of her aircraft sighted the German High Seas Fleet but was unable to communicate this information to the British command. This creates a great “what-if” question. I will definitely purchase one of these, and possibly a second to represent the generally-similar Empress. Engadine had 26 votes in the Micronaut Wish List, tied for 29th place.
• GWB43, 41, or 42; WWI UK cruiser Ceres-group. This was a group of five light cruisers built too late to participate at Jutland. The arrangement of their armament was superior to earlier “C” class groups in that the second six-inch gun was moved from behind the bridge to a superimposed position in front of the bridge. I intend to buy five of these. The five ships of the Capetown group were similar except for the raised “trawler” bow, but I am going to wait and see if there is a separate model for these. The Ceres group had 21 votes in the Micronaut Wish List, tied for 52nd place.

Finally, four ships of the modern era. Since I limit my purchases to ships in service in the first half of the 20th century, these are less important to me.

• HRC13; post-cold war China aircraft carrier Shandong. Note that the PLAN has changed the designation of this ship from Type 001a to Type 002. Ten votes in the Micronaut Wish List, tied for 236th place. This should be popular with modern ship fans, despite the fact that only one such ship is planned. This ship had ten votes in the Micronaut Wish List, tied for 236th place.
• HJN10; post-cold war Japan guided missile destroyer Atagō (あたご)-class. This is a class of two advanced anti-aircraft destroyers. This class had 16 votes in the Micronaut Wish List, tied for 90th place.
• HUS27 or 28; late-cold war USA underway replenishment oiler Henry Kaiser (T-AO 187)-class. This is a class of 18 long-serving replenishment ships. I am a bit surprised that GHQ chose to produce this model now. Although ships of this class will remain in service for years to come, they will be replaced steadily by the Joh Lewis (T-AO 205)-class. On the other hand, modern auxiliary ships are welcome. This class had 1 vote in the Micronaut Wish List, tied for 2223rd place.
• HUS28 or 27; late-cold war USA amphibious command ship Blue Ridge (LCC 19)-class. This is a real surprise. The two ships of this class have been in service since 1971, making Blue Ridge the longest-currently-serving active ship in the US Navy. Because of their great C-3 capability, they will probably remain in service for at least a decade more. The Blue Ridge class had zero votes in the Micronaut Wish List.

Separate from the Micronaut entries, I would like to applaud GHQ’s choice of the following items in Microarmor scale:

• WWII France fighter aircraft Dewoitine D.520. Could we hope for some bomber types in the future?
• WWII USA artillery M1 240 mm howitzer.
• Early cold war UK fighter aircraft Hawker Hunter. Too bad about the timing on the original. The Brits could have had this in service years earlier.
• Post-cold war UK light tank Ajax. GHQ should produce the other vehicles planned on the same chassis.
• Post-cold war NATO fighter aircraft Eurofighter Typhoon
• Post-cold war Russia fighter-bomber aircraft Su-34

Don S.
D'oh!

whenimaginationfails
E5

Post by whenimaginationfails »

Thanks Chris!
N— AMPV
N — JLTV
N — M109A7
Excellent choices. JLTV is being deployed widely now.
N — Ajax light tank
Was hoping for this. Cuts a nice line. Could use it for SF/What-if even if it gets canceled.
N — Leopard 2A7
This is the new version Germany is adopting, yes? Wikipedia isn't clear. Will look great. With the other two it is Leopardpaloza!
SK — K808 APC
This one makes bulky look gooooood! Sort of an LVTP5 with wheels.
IS — Eitan APC
Looking forward to this one. Sadly not the uparmored M113s. Curious if this one will be turreted or pintle machine gun only.
RC — ZTQ-15/Type 15– light tank
Such a cutie! This will be great for gaming PRC vs India border conflicts.
AC — Su-34
Not sure there are that many of them, but what a great looking plane. Reminds me of the F-111.
W — BREM-1 ARV
More for the recovery crew. Nice!
N — LAV 6.0
N — Leopard 2A4M
Canada modernizes!
chrisswim wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:33 am
We would also like to announce that we are raising our prices on July 31, 2021.
Understandable. Hope we get to see some of these before then.

Donald M. Scheef
E5

Nope; the next release of new models will be at the end of August. GHQ just released the last of the 2020-2021 models.
Don S.
D'oh!

Donald M. Scheef
E5

I am confused about the "AC F-2A fighter." Is this the WWII era Brewster F2A Buffalo, the modern Mitsubishi F-2, or some other aircraft?
Don S.
D'oh!

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

My hope is that the F-2A is the Banshee.

Brutzel
E5

Post by Brutzel »

Unfortunately again no "Wiesel" (weasel) for my armed forces (German Bundeswehr). :cry:
(Maybe in 2022-23?????)

At least my proposal to produce the Brem-1 was accepted. :D
Good for my Russian Army.^^
(The BREM-K would have been great too. Maybe in 2022-23.)

whenimaginationfails wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:41 pm
N — Leopard 2A7
This is the new version Germany is adopting, yes? Wikipedia isn't clear. Will look great. With the other two it is Leopardpaloza!
Yes, the almost newer version of the "Bundeswehr".
The current version is Leopard 2A7V.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Digging the new LVT3 and D520 announcements.
Expected the price increase and seems fair given the lack of increases in the past and the supply chain issues we’re going through.

EdMott

Post by EdMott »

With the price increase, what will parts now cost?

Mikee
E5

Post by Mikee »

I am not happy with the ship list!!! Where's my Iowa? Where's my Malaya?? Where's my multitudinous WWII UK cruisers??? Where's all the other ships on my years-old want list???? Insofar as the '21-'22 list is concerned: Admittedly, they did produce Braunschweig last year, and Duquesne a year or two earlier, but that's not good enough.

JN — Kagero class destroyers, late war appearance: CinC put those out many years ago, & I have enough. This model will have to be really something to persuade me to replace them with new versions of the ship I already have.
UKN — Duke of York– late war appearance: I've already "kit bashed" late war versions of the Duke, Anson and Howe - and camo-painted them - using the KGV class BB. I don't have all of the AA guns on my ships, but my eyes are bad enough that I can barely see the fine detail anyway.
SUN — Sovyetsky Soyuz Project 23– battleship: Maybe one is on my list, but probably no more.
UKN — oil tanker-based Merchant Aircraft Carrier: I don't need more "LSTs" (long slow targets). for my fleets. Might get one, just for variety, if I'm healthy enough.
GWB — “K” destroyer, ex- Acasta class: CinC put out a K class, with tall funnels, if I remember right. I've already got more of them than I need for my Jutland fleet. However, if the GHQ model has short funnels - which seems unlikely, given the "Acasta" name, I would buy what I need for Jutland.
GWB — Engadine seaplane tender: Would only need one, of course
GWG — Destroyer V25 through V48: I think I need some of these for Jutland, but will have to look up how many. I think GHQ (or someone) put out the 1 through 24 DDs (TBDs?), which I already have.
GWB — “C” class Ceres group light cruiser: this one sounds interesting, Might get a few, although they weren't built at the time of Jutland, if I remember right.

As I mentioned in my gripe in the "New Items 2020-2021" thread, I'm running out of time, as i have pulmonary fibrosis. May only last 2 - 4 years. (OTOH, at my age, I might only last that long even without that fatal disease.) My only response is to promise GHQ with a haunting if I don't get what I want. As I said in my gripe, I'll just float invisibly in the air over them and WHINE! Endlessly WHINE! That's worse than clanking chains and hollow moans any day, particularly the version that one of my grandchildren used to engage in when young.

Mikee
E5

Post by Mikee »

VITALLY IMPORTANT QUESTION - at least to me, if not to anyone else. - - -

Regarding the early WWI German TBD/DDS - Did the three German ship builders each build their own version of #s 1- -24 and 25 - 48? I have theoretical plans of buying a 2400 scale model for each of these ships that were at Jutland. the Brits did some of this, and I took some time to figure out what was what (I think!!). WTJ will help me with varieties, if I follow through; they even have a model of the CL Gazelle class, which I need for Jutland. (My plans are problematical, as I live by the rule "Never put off 'till tomorrow what you can put off 'till the next day.) WTJ doesn't seem to have much insofar as the German ships are concerned, so I think (HOPE?) that the German builders did not amuse themselves by producing unique variants.

I'm a fan of WTJ ships, as they have versions of some of their models. The only problems are (1) I'm so used to the metal ships that the light material they use just seems too light, and (2) they don't have solid bases, so I have trouble painting the ships' names on the bottom of each model. I can't believe that I could paint "Texas" so small on the bottom of that ship. Since my eyes worsened, I don't know if I could even read that name now, even with my (two) magnifying units. But. I guess I just have to be brave On my Santiago group, I don't know how I'm going to paint "Cristobal Colon" on that Spanish ship, unless I glue a small piece of plastic sheet to the ship.

While I'm babbling, I'd like to add that I loved those plastic boxes that the CinC ships came in; they were a perfect size - for me - to store my completed ships in. Alas, CinC is gone and I didn't see the empty boxes included in the last list of things for sale. Haven't found anything like them in the stores, even at Capitol Plastics (although it's been a while since I looked.)

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

Mikee wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:26 am

While I'm babbling, I'd like to add that I loved those plastic boxes that the CinC ships came in; they were a perfect size - for me - to store my completed ships in. Alas, CinC is gone and I didn't see the empty boxes included in the last list of things for sale.
CinC does exist but only in the Canadian web store Legion IV hire.