Colors for MASSTER camo

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

militumman74

Colors for MASSTER camo

Post by militumman74 »

Does anyone know good colors for the MASSTER camo scheme used in mid-late 70s USAREUR? My recollection is a lot of tan and some reddish brown, few touches of black and maybe a little pale olive.

When I arrived there I thought, "we're getting ready to send these vehicles to the mid-east!". I haven't seen any painted minis that brings back that impression. Now have the minis for an armored cav troop and want to use that scheme. I prefer using Humbrol, Vallejo, or the old Testors if I can get it.
Militumman

panzergator
E5

Re: Colors for MASSTER camo

Post by panzergator »

UGLIEST camo I'd ever seen. Yep, that's what it was when I arrived ib '75. It started,I think, in '74, and we repainted to MERDC in '77. I have info, but have to dig it out. I will post in next couple days. I'm planning a tank and mech battalion, as well as an artillery battalion and a cav squadron in it. There are patterns available.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

STS

Re: Colors for MASSTER camo

Post by STS »

A book I have on MASSTER-patterns (Tankograd 3017 - MASSTER - MERDC - DUALTEX) lists the following Federal Standard numbers for the MASSTER pattern. I used that book as a reference when I painted my MERDC-pattern 1:100 Flames of War miniatures a while back. It's both in English and German.

FS 30117 Earth Red
FS 30372 Sandgrey
FS 34079 Forest Green
FS 37038 Black

if you google the FS-numbers, you'll quickly get a Vallejo or AK Interactive paint equivalent.