2021-22 New Release Schedule

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Re: 2021-22 New Release Schedule

Post by redleg »

LOL thanks PG! I think you are right - they are at Hohenfels!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

im happy to see more modern Canadian stuff rolling in.

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

It's 1 November on this side of the world! I'm eagerly awaiting the 31 October releases, mainly because I'm curious to know exactly what model the 'N645—Leopard 1' actually is?
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

FYI - releases are up!

Sadly no photo of the Leopard 1, but the listing states 'Original design which went into production in 1964. The Leopard 1 was used by Germany, Finland, Norway, Turkey, others.'

Interesting to see an early-mid Cold War release amongst all the ultra-modern releases.

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

Pic of the new Leopard 1 is up. Nice model although I am a little concerned about the mold marks on the front glacis.

It is definitely the early model.

Gonna have to get some, especially since there is a sale starting tomorrow!
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

Cav Dog wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:47 am
Pic of the new Leopard 1 is up.
Corr, I checked that 2 hours ago when I logged on and it wasn't there :shock:

Lovely kit. I've been looking at the AMX-13/75 and AMX-VCI I grabbed for my Indonesians, and thinking some 1970's Cold War might be good for a laugh. The new Leopard 1 makes that even more attractive a prospect.

- Douglas Adams

33YearsGHQ
E5

Post by 33YearsGHQ »

Cav Dog wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:47 am
Pic of the new Leopard 1 is up. Nice model although I am a little concerned about the mold marks on the front glacis.

It is definitely the early model.

Gonna have to get some, especially since there is a sale starting tomorrow!
Received my Leopard 1's today. Beautiful sculpt and perfect castings (there were no mold marks or any other defects on the glacis or anywhere else)
Brad Anderson (enjoying GHQ since 1976)

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

Brad (33YearsGHQ), Got any work to Post. Your stuff has been an inspiration to me. Would love to see some.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

The recent email by GHQ with pictures of the design-creation of a vehicle is neat to see.
I also like the FAW MV3 truck, RC-30, great look.
Chris

Donald M. Scheef
E5

Post by Donald M. Scheef »

In about a week GHQ is scheduled to release their Micronaut model of HMS Engadine. I have some questions/comments about this release.
The ship was built in 1911 as a cross-Channel packet with the name Engadine. In 1914 it was requisitioned by the Royal Navy and received an initial conversion to an "aircraft carrier," (what would later be known as a seaplane tender.) It retained its initial name. Initially, it had steel frame and canvas hangers for three seaplanes and no armament. In this form it participated in the Cuxhaven raid.
Later, a permanent hanger was built over the aft third of the ship and gun armament was added. This was its appearance during the Battle of Jutland and, later, in the eastern Mediterranean. It never had facilities for launching or landing aircraft; cranes were used to move the seaplanes from the hangers to the water and then return them at the end of a mission.
Shortly after the end of the war it was sold to commercial use and returned to approximately its original appearance as a packet ship. In the 1930s it was sold to a Philippine company and renamed SS Corregidor. It was sunk in December, 1941, when it entered a minefield.
Possible appearances:
1 As a civilian packet ship - highly unlikely since the 'HMS' appellation would not apply
2 With the temporary canvas hangers as it appeared during the Cuxhaven raid
3 With the permanent hanger as it appeared during Jutland and in the Med
I would prefer number 3 and think that this is the more likely.

In terms of the number of models I intend to buy: There were two other similar ships used as seaplane carriers, HMS Riviera and HMS Empress. They had identical dimensions and very similar appearance but, at least, different engines that produced different speeds. As best as I can tell, they were initially converted with the permanent hangers and never had the temporary canvas hangers like HMS Engadine. Assuming GHQ models option 3, I intend to buy three of these models. A fourth ship, HMS Ben-my-Chree, had a similar appearance but was about 20% larger than the other three.

Don S.
"When a fire starts to burn,
here's a lesson you must learn:
something-something and you'll see
you'll avoid catastrophe."
D'oh!

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

I'm interested to see the late war version of HMS Duke of York. Wonder if this appearance will work for other ships in the class, for late war versions?

Donald M. Scheef
E5

A late-war Duke of York should be fine for any of the late-war KGV class. All had all aircraft facilities removed and retained the original main armament (10x14") and secondary (16x5.25"). All four had eight octuple 2-pdr and two quad 40mm Bofors. The number and location of quad 2-pdrs, single 40mm Bofors and the number of 20mm Oerlikon varied between the ships.

Here is a summary of the differences I have been able to determine among the four surviving KGV-class battleships near the end of WWII. These are based on the following references:
• R.A. Burt, British Battleships 1919-1945
• Siegfried Breyer, Battleships and Battle Cruisers 1905-1970
• Garzke & Dulin, Allied Battleships in World War II
• Alan Raven and John Roberts, British Battleships of WWII
• Norman Friedman, The British Battleship 1906-1946
• Ian Baxton and Ian Johnston, Battleship Duke of York
Armament: Primary (14”) and secondary (5.25”) all the same as originally built
Medium and light anti-aircraft:
A: Mk VI 8-barrel 2-pdr
B: MK VII 4-barrel 2-pdr
C: US Mk II 4-barrel 40mm
D: Mk III single 40mm
E: Mk V twin 20mm
F: Mk IIIA single 20mm
---------------------------A-----B-----C----D-----E-----F
KGV mid 1945 -------8-----0-----2-----2------6---26
DoY, April 1945------8-----6-----2-----0-----8-----38
Anson, April 1945---8-----4-----2-----0-----6-----34
Howe, mid 1944-----8-----0-----2-----0-----4-----34
Howe, early 1946----8-----6-----2----20----4-----0?
I have included two lines for Howe because I couldn’t find a mid-1945 listing. Apparently, almost (if not all) single 20mm were removed and the 40-barrel 2-pdr & single 40mm installed in mid-1945 as an anti-kamikaze measure.
Radar differences:
Anson had Type 275 for secondary fire control; the others had Type 285.
KGV had Type 279 for air warning; the others had Type 281.
Burt states that only Anson had larger secondary directors than the others. Siegfried and Breyer say that these were fitted only post-war.
All had a searchlight platform on the second funnel. That on DoY extended forward than those on the other ships. That on Howe was enlarged and had single 40mm guns replacing the searchlights (at some time after mid-1944 but before the end of the war).
The degaussing cables that were initially external to the hull on KGV were relocated inboard. The other four ships (including PoW) were internal as built.
Raven & Roberts book includes excellent diagrams showing the location of every AA gun for each ship and at various times. In summary: no two ships were identical, but all were generally the same.

Don S.
Last edited by Donald M. Scheef on Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
D'oh!

ww2navyguy
E5

Post by ww2navyguy »

Thanks Don. Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the late war ship models and would rather have new models of key ships still missing that were in their inter-war configurations. Plenty of Italian destroyers and torpedo craft, japanese Akatsuki class destroyers and British light and heavy class cruisers, too that are still needed. Most late war models will never make it to the wargaming table; but do look nice on the hobby room shelf.

Donald M. Scheef
E5

I agree that there are lots of historical ships that deserve a GHQ model. On the other hand, I also like hypotheticals.
Send me a list of specific ships/classes that you would like to see, and I will add votes for them to the Consolidated Micronaut Wish List.
Don S.
D'oh!

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Bird class minesweepers, Kiwi, Tui, and Moa. Upgraded Le Fantasque. More French destroyers. British A and B class destroyers. USS Wolverine and Sable aircraft carriers, though not game-able, would be super cool on the carrier collection shelf. Pearl Harbor Utah.