Extra Crispy's T64 Tank Brigade

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Splod
E5

Re: Extra Crispy's T64 Tank Brigade

Post by Splod »

Beagle wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:07 pm
Interesting. I tend to do the opposite. I base coat first, then paint tires or treads as neat as I can, and rely on washes and dry brushing to even everything up and pick out detail.
This is my approach too! Being a lazy dry brusher means it's easier to go back and clean up the tires at the end rather than try and work around them :mrgreen:
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

@Nashorn:

The mat is borrowed. It is a Cigar Box brand, it is one half of the Pipe Creek (Civil War) game mat.

@PanzerGator

This is a tank unit so yes, battalions are 31 tanks each. So 93 tanks in the three battalions. Add in the tanks in recon and attached to the motorized rifle battalion and you need 328 tanks for one division. I could field two regiments of T64s and one of T72s with enough to fill out the rest of the division.
Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

Extra Crispy wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:46 am
I could field two regiments of T64s and one of T72s with enough to fill out the rest of the division.
Did the Russkies ever mix armour in their divisions?

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

The Soviet Army had motorized rife divisions and tank divisions. The motor rifle division had 3 motor rifle regiments and one tank regiment. The tank division was three tank regiments and a motor rifle regiment. A motor rifle regiment had 3 motor rifle battalions (one BMP battalion and two BTR battalions) and one tank battalion. The tank regiment had three tank battalions and a BMP battalion. Tank battalions in the tank regiment had 31 tanks per battalion organized into 3 companies of 10 tanks each, plus a command tank. Each company was 3 platoons of 3 tanks each plus 1 command tank. Motor rifle battalions had 31 BMPs or BTRs in 3 companies organized as in the tank units. In the 1970s, the tank battalions in motor rifle regiments had 40 tanks in 3 companies of 13, with 3 platoons of 4 and a command tank, plus on at bn hq. This was discontinued at some point and those tank battalions returned to the standard 31. There were also independent tank regiments with between 3 and 5 tank companies. The regiments and divisions also included artillery, ADA, engineers, etc. Short answer.

Please note that I have not listed all the elements of battalions, regiments, or divisions. For instance, each regiment and division had an artillery group, battalions had mortar companies and scouts, etc. And now, the Russian army builds a brigade tactical group around a regiment, to which division and higher echelons will add assets to support its mission. These resources will be distributed as the BTG forms battalion tactical groups from it regimental formation. How many battalion tactical groups can be formed within the regiment may currently be dependent on personnel strength, which apparently is a real poblem.
Last edited by panzergator on Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Mark, that is a very respectable force! And a LOT of roadwheels to paint!

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

Right or wrong I am using the US Army's FM 100-2-3 as my source.

https://irp.fas.org/doddir/army/fm100-2-3.pdf

The Soviets did not mix tanks within regiments. How they would handle situations during a war like the one my project posits (war dragged on, now calling up reserves, rebuilding shattered units) is anyone's guess.

I could imagine mixing tank regiments in a division, but below that level I think logistics makes it a real nightmare, and you'd be more likely to reduce complement than mingle tank types at the battalion or lower level.
Mark Severin

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Mark, I am quickly becoming obsessed with your tank brigade! Please keep the updates coming. The back story is great too. I can't wait to see them in action!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Depending on the situation, each of the three motor rifle battalions of a motor rifle regiment might receive one of the tank battalion's companies. One company might provide a platoon for the advanced guard of the regiment, or, it might receive 2.

While the Russians didn't cross-attach as we do, each motor rifle regiment has 3 motor rifle battalions and a tank battalion. Each tank regiment, the reverse, however, not all tank regiments may have an MRB. References are a painful trip to the basement, but I will get them tonight. These references are from my Armor Officer Advanced Course and my Command and General Staff course. Today's brigade tactical groups are built around those regiments, though they may be organized and reinforced differently. The brigade group uses its standard assets to build battalion tactical groups and adds assets it has been reinforced with in accordance with the mission.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Mark, finally made it down to the basement, climbed over the obstacles, and retrieved my 100-3. You re correct. No motor rifle units in tank regiment. My apologies.

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

The 100-3 is online now as a PDF, no need for trips to the basement!

Since this is not a gaming project really, I'm using that TO&E, right, wrong or indifferent.
Mark Severin

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I may have more use for it in the future. I stopped buying Russians quite some time ago, but may pick it back up. Still focussed on US units now though. 3d printing may help.

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

I finally had a little time to pick up a brush. These are almost done. Just need to finish the basing and apply decals and a coat of lacquer.

Mark Severin

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Very nice looking trucks, Mark!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

Stunning work! I definitely think doing the canvas a separate colour helps the models 'pop'! :mrgreen:

- Douglas Adams

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

Yeah, here I am doing camo and trying to make it pop, LOL. Someone should really explain the purpose of camo to me again....
Mark Severin