Think GHQ should jump on the 3D bandwagon?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

MechCommander
E5

Re: Think GHQ should jump on the 3D bandwagon?

Post by MechCommander »

I only use 3D printing for stuff that never got a miniature made for it or if shipping to Canada became a pain, but I still buy GHQ products every now and then when i get the chance too.

Here's my more recent 3D prints courtesy of the Grande Prairie Public Library. A set of 8 F-100 Super Sabres in their Outboard Islands imagi-nation colour scheme for the Evinrude and Johnson Squadrons.
image upload

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

3D printed trucks, with a base coat on.

You can't see in the photo, but there are subtle print lines visible. These were printed not with resin but the cheap stuff.

Now, I'd infinitely prefer GHQ detailed trucks for my combat units. But for a supply train, or a convoy game where I need loads, these become much more attractive. I don't have a 3D printer (yet) but if I did need, say, 100 trucks, these would be plenty good enough for temporary use.

And I'm sure the smart folks at GHQ are watching all this closely. After all, it's the modeling skill that sets them apart, not the ability to cast metal (though they do that very, very well).
Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

Extra Crispy
E5

Post by Extra Crispy »

Food for thought. Chatting with an owner of a resin 3D printer. He reckons his cost per tank at about $0.25 per. He uses a Photon S. You can currently buy this for about $225 or less.

At about $2.60 per vehicle from GHQ the break even on buying the printer is 96 vehicles.
Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

That's great in theory, but you still need to factor in ongoing operation costs for the equipment itself. Various components on the machine need servicing or replacement, and then there's cost of electricity. Printers run for an extended time and can suck down a fair bit of juice. Beyond the machine costs, there's also the costs associated with learning how to appropriately use the equipment, from the inevitable failed prints or out-of-scale jobs. And then you need to factor in the cost of the STL itself. While there are some great free ones available online, more and more the quality STLs seem to be locked behind subscription only services or expensive webstores.

I'm not disputing that 3D printing is incredible, it's just that more and more I'm seeing people claim that they can print unlimited models for the cost of the raw material. It's important that people understand 3D printing is almost a hobby of its own, with lots of hidden expenses. In some ways, it's like owning a car. I can get absolutely anywhere I want for only $0.12 a KM based on a 8L/100km fuel consumption and fuel at $1.50 per/litre. But you have to factor in the original purchase price of the vehicle, ongoing upkeep, and associated expenses. Sometimes, it may be more efficient to use public transport or grab a taxi rather than own your own vehicle. Just like it may be more efficient to buy metals from GHQ or even prints online rather than produce them yourself at home :wink:
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Commissioning an stl file for the GM XM1 prototype will cost me $65.00. Buying 3 bottles of resin will cost me $121.00. 1 bottle of resin will produce 2 54-tank battalions. The other two bottles, plus or minus, go to my son for his use, making it worth his while to print for me. The stl file is a one-time investment. So maybe I come out even, kinda. Now, can I get the GM XM1 prototype or XM800(T), or AH56, or MBT70 from GHQ? NOPE! Not ever gonna happen. How about M800 series 5ton truck?

Works for me.

On the other hand, the GHQ M60A1 looks MUCH better than the 3d prodect available.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

Have you guys seen the few tanks made oversea? Not going name them but the Panther and jagd Panther looks pretty good. Both were 3D printed then cast in pewter.
Nots as good as ghq but very close.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

People will pay for quality and durability. H&R sells models notably cheaper but the quality is not as good as GHQ, and it seems the GHQ models are more prevalent here in the states.

There is a role for 3D printing in this mix, but I don’t think it will overshadow the pewter models for some time to come. Not until quality and durability increases.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I think the niche varies. For instance, if you are running a US tank battalion in the 1970s and want a support platoon, you need 5 cargo GOERs and 4 Fuel GOERS. You can get them from Shapeways, but the cost is steep - $11.50 for 2 cargo and the same for only 1 fueler. Not going to pay that. I can do without or perhaps find an stl file and print my own. I will do the latter. Considering that the GOERs were in use from the late 60s in Vietnam through all of the 70s, and given some of the things GHQ makes, the GOER should be a reasonable candidate for GHQ, as would the M800 series 5ton or the M37b1, but nope. No joy. So, where possible, I'm off to the 3D printer.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

nashorn88
E5

Post by nashorn88 »

I think GHQ has no choice but to have masters made then cast in metal. Unfortunately to hand make a master takes a lot of time and effort. Still I think that the artisans can use a 3D printed model then improve on it.
2D6 in England is doing it on a small scale now.
The recent 3D model almost rivals to HQ quality.