Quantity Has A Quality All It's Own

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Extra Crispy
E5

Quantity Has A Quality All It's Own

Post by Extra Crispy »

Deep in the Soviet Union, in the foot hills of the Urals, new regiments are being formed, readied to smash the Kapitalists of the West.

This is the current state of my Soviet micro armor collection. This does not show the unpainted stuff either just based or sitting in their packaging, etc. As you can see I have a LOT of work to do!
Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

Beagle
E5

Re: Quantity Has A Quality All It's Own

Post by Beagle »

And at the same time deep in the Soviet Union, lots of Collective Farmers are drinking copious amounts of bath tub vodka due to their hard work being smashed for a parade, lol. That is whole lotta micro armor!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

And not a porta-potty in sight... Field sanitation and minefield emplacement must be in the concurrent training schedule. Impressive collection!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

panzergator wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:58 am
And not a porta-potty in sight... Field sanitation and minefield emplacement must be in the concurrent training schedule. Impressive collection!
Well that’s what the streams are for, hence the title of the thread. :lol: :lol:

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

That is a really cool picture and a great collection! Now where did we leave that pesky little tactical nuke?

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

That's awesome! Great looing collection and fantastic photos!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

E5

Post by 7.62 »

That is how I like to see micro armour, on mass.
Also helps me to justify more.
Cheers,

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

Just a few minis there, eh? :shock:

This is probably a good example for why I like a 1:5 ratio for my gaming though. Means I can play with a full brigade or regiment without needing litterally hundreds of minis :mrgreen:
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

Splod wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:49 am
Just a few minis there, eh? :shock:

This is probably a good example for why I like a 1:5 ratio for my gaming though. Means I can play with a full brigade or regiment without needing litterally hundreds of minis :mrgreen:
Where is the fun in that. You want a battalion to look like a battalion!
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

It looks like a battalion to me! :mrgreen:

I'm even considering higher levels, where a single miniature represents a company rather than the current half-company. There's a modern variant for the BBWW2 ruleset where each battalion is represented by a single large base (100mm square) with up to a dozen figures on it each representing a company. I've gone past my old days of wanting to represent the struggles of a single tank or squad, and am more interested in larger scale combat. I don't have the time, energy, space or funds to drop a full brigade at 1:1 :lol:
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

Splod wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:03 am
It looks like a battalion to me! :mrgreen:

I'm even considering higher levels, where a single miniature represents a company rather than the current half-company. There's a modern variant for the BBWW2 ruleset where each battalion is represented by a single large base (100mm square) with up to a dozen figures on it each representing a company. I've gone past my old days of wanting to represent the struggles of a single tank or squad, and am more interested in larger scale combat. I don't have the time, energy, space or funds to drop a full brigade at 1:1 :lol:
So, if I get this right I could deploy two of my tank companies and one mech company and call them two armored divisions and one mech division. Then add an artillery battery and call that 41st Artillery Brigade and wargame V Corps? Since I am modeling at 1:1 I have enough trucks and recovery vehicles to have the DISCOM for all three divisions and COSCOM. My engineer company becomes the corp engineer brigade and my 11 ACR ground troop becomes the regiment? And my air troop becomes the corp aviation brigade. I may have to think about gaming along with modeling. :)
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.