Armored Cavalry Regiments

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

redleg
E5

Armored Cavalry Regiments

Post by redleg »

Sorry guys, but I can’t find the ACR thread so I’m starting a new one. I’m sure it’s here somewhere, and I’m pretty sure it will pop up as soon as I post this.

1st Squadron / 9th ACR is done….again.

I had most of the regiment organized last year, but all the tanks and brads were mixed versions and I reduced the numbers of wheeled vehicles a little bit. I even left the wheeled wreckers out altogether.

But Brigade Commander and Hoth have been motivating me and I feel like I need to get this rabble all squared away. 1st Squadron is now what I consider to be 100% accurate (except for trailers). The squadron has 260 vehicles, 36 dismounted scout teams, and all the vehicle types are the same: M1A1 for the tanks and M3A2 for the Bradleys. In theory there are 839 personnel in the squadron.

2nd Squadron is now on the workbench.

Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Re: Armored Cavalry Regiments

Post by panzergator »

Lookin' good, that ACR!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Love the ACR.
Those Hemtt recovery vehicles look great!
Put them in a parade formation, then take pictures… or in a tactical terrain.
Chris

Brigade Commander
E5

Post by Brigade Commander »

Where I was originally going to start. With a squadron of the 11th ACR. Then I decided an Armor Brigade would be easier. Yeah...

Looking very cool. I so cannot wait to see it when you get to 4th Squadron!!!!
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Brigade Commander,

Today an armored brigade, tomorrow a division. It's only a matter of time, an 8x4 sheet of pkywood, and a minor case of OCD... Mwaaaa ha ha ha ha ha!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

LOL this really is an addicting hobby. I wonder how a micro armor addict compares to a drug addict in terms of money spent on the addition? I haven't even finished this regiment and I'm already planning the next one!

Chris, I'll get some more pics soon. I think perhaps the maintenance platoon is out doing driver training today! I'm going total nerd on this one - I have an SOI for the regiment and I think I need a TACSOP for them too!

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

First things first. Redleg, really great work on the ACR. Makes me want to start adding to my Armored Calvary Squadron. I am not going to let you suck me into an entire Regiment. Not going to do it.

Its this site. Every time I meet someone through it, they seem to be a larger collector than I and within no time have motivated me to increase the scope of my collection. Its all of you.... its all your faults.. LOL.
Quantity has a Quality all its own.

http://warriorbear.weebly.com/

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Ok, Hoth, let's review. CALVARY is a hill in Israel revered by Christians. CAVALRY is a powerful armored mounted combat force. As in all military operations, position is critical. Please note the position of the "L" in each case. Sorry, but this is a big bugaboo with me.

How in the WORLD can you make do with only ONE squadron of a regiment? An ACR is certainly on MY list. H series, Stateside ACR (3 M551s/platoon). I have the Sheridans. Have to get the rest. Have an H divcav sdn, a USAREUR H ACR sdn, and a J series reinforced divcav. Too useful and flexible to do without.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

My mistake Panzergator, please accept my apologize for the slaughter of the English language. I will do better in the future..

With that said, now to the topic at hand. How can I make do with one Cavalry Squadron? Well, it really comes down to a delicate balance of money, time and space. O and my girlfriends acceptance level to my growing collection. The latter is offset by me using cash back points from the credit card. Which by the way, reduces the stain on the budget. Trust me, at one point I was only going to build a troop. Then GHQ compensated me with a couple of packs of bradley's and M1s, for a really late order, and the race for a squadron was on. I justified it by saying that if I build one, I would have everything I need to build almost any unit I wanted on the board. The bigger issue is, I started collecting for the primary purpose of playing and model building and collecting second. Now I must admit that my wargame group will not play ultra modern, So then I expanded my needs to collect enough to be able to field two sides in a game. That way I can build my own wargame group once I have space.. That is more than you bargained for to answer, what I could only imagine, was a rhetorical question.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

You have more self-discipline than I. And my wife and sons encourage my hobby.

Yes, it was a tongue in cheek question.

Hoth_902
E5

Post by Hoth_902 »

My significant other supports and encourages me as well, but not with an open purse. Left to my own devices, my collection would balloon. Lol

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

The Secretary of War (wife) and my in-laws both add to my habit. There yet to figure out how to wrap GHQ at Christmas without me figuring it out immediately, lol. They’ve tried all kinds of soundproofing.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Wow that’s a really cool collection and well done. I admire your work!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

A quick question for those who have experience and knowledge of armored cavalry. I’m reading FM 17-95 Cavalry Operations (dated December 1996) and in Chapter 3 Reconnaissance Operations I found this:

So my question is did / do helicopters doing zone or area or route recon missions actually land and pilots dismount to do a recon on foot? Seems kinda crazy to me, but you never know.

Cav Dog
E5

Post by Cav Dog »

Having spent my entire career as an observation helicopter pilot, I can tell you that we trained for doing dismounted recon of bridges, obstacles and water features although ordinarily we could get what we needed from the air at a hover.

More often then not, actual classification of bridges and such would be done by ground cav and air assets would clear the area and provide security while they were doing it.

The more likely scenario was to send the aeroscouts out blacked out using NVGs before dawn to occupy OPs on high ground inaccessible by foot. We'd park the OHs in a covered and concealed spot if possible, hike up to a good vantage point and spend the day watching an axis of advance, open flank or other area of interest to the ground commander.

A mountaintop picnic with two scouts, two M16s, two 9mms, a PRC 77, binos, MREs and a 5 gallon water can.
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.