Should our Imagi-nation be involved in real world events?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

nash88

Should our Imagi-nation be involved in real world events?

Post by nash88 »

Just curious if we should be mixing the two? I loosely have a nation but not as interesting as others.

MechCommander
E5

Re: Should our Imagi-nation be involved in real world events?

Post by MechCommander »

I think its somewhat doable as the ROD has already respond to the earthquake in Haiti

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

If you're referring to the ongoing situation in Afghanistan, is it any different from historical involvement in the middle-east? I know many Imagi-Nations have contributed to the ISAF mission over the last 20 years.
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

We established early on that we didn't want any rules for the imagi-nations, so there's nothing that says you can or can't tie your imagi-nation activity to real events. Personally, I try to find some balance with my imagi-nation. On one hand, it's fun to react to real world events. It's kind of like having an opponent in that you don't know what's coming next. The Haiti earthquake and the activity in Afghanistan are great examples, but there are others. For the ROD I plan the Navy's routine ship deployments for an entire year (I need to start working on the 2022 patrol schedule!) and major Army exercises and activities. So, for me it's part of the game - what resources do I have available to react to a given real world situation. It's pretty nerdy I know, but I enjoy that part of the imagi-nation world.

On the flip side, I try to not have too big of an impact on the real world so that we can all continue to follow current events. I don't want to take over a real country and remove it from play or something like that. It's a slippery slope sometimes and I do take some liberties with real countries (I have ROD troops in Poland, Germany, and Egypt) but I try to not twist things to the point that a real country is locked into any given scenario.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

In my personal opinion, as far as the unfolding events in Afghanistan, I would prefer not to see an Imagination series involving it. I’ve personally spent around 36 months directly supporting missions in Afghanistan, in the Navy, in the Strike Fighter community, on carriers. Just the smaller part of a 24 year career in carrier fighters around the world. I’m finding this particular time hard to deal with, so it’s hard to think of this as a game. That being said, since Imagi-Nations aren’t my thing, and I usually open and close them immediately, unless there are pictures of models, so as they mark as ‘read’, I’ll have no part, but I’ll have no adverse comments to the broader community on this particular subject.

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Nash, It is your imagi-nation to do with as you please.
For me the answer is yes.
I agree and tend to use World events as redleg, if something happens how would your nation react. It is that out of your control or influence effect that is otherwise very hard to model.
This does not mean I will dwell or get involved in the misfortunes of others, there is a need (for me anyway) for tact and respect.
A simple 'there is a major problem in Haiti, you have passing ships with a hospital and supplies onboard, what would your political reaction be and how will it effect your military plans' will do for me.
I too defer from attacking real Countries, that's the whole point of the using imagi-nations as I see it.
So I see it more as guidance in how things would pan out. If you are super friendly with say the DPRK, how much support would you receive from South Korea? If you buy the latest S-400 system how is that F-35 order going to pan out for you?

Nothing is off the table for responsible debate and it never should be.
Not talking or thinking about something does not mean it never happened, be that 76 years ago or yesterday.

I know when I was pushing my toy aircraft and soldiers around last Friday morning (ref U.I.N. post), I wasn't the only one!
Last edited by 7.62 on Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

7.62 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:48 pm
I know when I was pushing my toy aircraft and soldiers around last Friday morning, I wasn't the only one!
Indeed you where pushing toy aircraft around... Near my nation, when My NC guys just concluded a joint training excersice with the Outboard Islands. Granted you where doing a training excersice with the KDF, but your aircraft's appearance was rather sudden.