Made my own wash

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

nashorn88
E5

Made my own wash

Post by nashorn88 »

Been always buying the small bottles of wash but ran out and made my own.
Came out perfect. Seems to drive better than the ones that I purchased.
Easy to make just water couple of drops of dishwashing detergent and acrylic black paint.

Extra Crispy
E5

Re: Made my own wash

Post by Extra Crispy »

I make all my own washes. For the main brown/black I use Future floor acrylic as a medium, thinned about 30% with water. Add a few drops of dish soap as a surface tension breaker, then ink or paint. It lets you do custom washes (Troll Flesh, French Blue). This is in essence what "contrast paints" are - over priced, thick washes.
Mark Severin
Owner, Scale Creep Miniatures
Author DeepFriedHappyMice.com

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

The only wash I buy is Vallejo dark grey wash, it’s cheap, one bottle lasts forever, and it’s pretty utilitarian. Other than that, I whip up my own, but I just really water down my VMC paints depending on what color I need, I don’t use dish soap or anything like that. Just super watery paint in a bottle cap when needed.

nash88

Post by nash88 »

All this time I was wasting $ on small bottles of wash.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

I bought some of the contrast paints - interesting idea, used them to some effect, but ultimately I’m reverting back to Vallejo washes. Store bought for me - just more convenient.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

I put a drop of my desired color of VMC in a bottle cap, put enough water in with my Mk I eyeball to make it a little thicker than colored water, and stir it up with the end of an old paint brush. Takes a matter of minutes.