The M60 tank (not the A1, A2, orA3)

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

panzergator
E5

The M60 tank (not the A1, A2, orA3)

Post by panzergator »

The recent arrival of some M60s from Madman has reminded me that GHQ's original sculpt of the turret was pretty accurate and original, not simply a re-purposing of the M48 turret. Although similar to the M48, the M60 turret is different. It is slightly taller, and the roof extends farther back before falling off more sharply at the rear. It also included the correct loader's hatch with a different hinge, as on the A1, rather than the double springs of the M48. It was an impressive effort at accuracy to even notice the difference at the time, one overlooked by both the illustrator and te editor of a book published on the M60 series.

I have 2 battalions of M60s, almost all of which are cobbled together using the M48A5 turret, incorrect shape and wrong hatch, on old-sculpt M60A1 hulls. I may correct that with some 3D printing.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Re: The M60 tank (not the A1, A2, orA3)

Post by redleg »

The posts on the M60 series tanks is so thoroughly interesting and educational for me. I only have a very basic knowledge of the M60s, and I keep learning more and more!

You know what would be cool? If someone could post a pic of the different versions of the M60 side by side to compare all those little differences. PG can you do a tank photo shoot?
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I will see what I can do. I will limit them to those used by US forces for clarity.

madman
E5

Post by madman »

I THINK/THOUGHT the ones I sent you are CinC and not GHQ.

Roger H
E5

Post by Roger H »

Too bad GHQ can’t cast the hull bottom hatch into their M-60 models . That was one of the few redeeming qualities that vehicle had back in the day . Think about it ….. you’ve been at MOPP level 4 for the past four days in the field . You’ve got exercise umpires riding and watching every move you make and suddenly ………you gotta take a whiz something terrible . Popping that hatch, pulling off the bottom of the MOPP suit and letting “it flow” is a lot better than spending the next four days “dead” and marinading yourself in your own piss while you wait in purgatory for the call to roll back to the home motor pool .

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

You are correct. My mistake. No turret baskets. Well, eyes due for recalibration on 6 Oct.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Sooo, yesterday I learned something. Properly painted, the CinC M60 is not the atrocious piece of work I thought it was, despite the lack of a bustle rack. The gun is too thin and long, and if you can 3D print barrels, replace them. I may experiment a little with reusing bar armor from GHQ kits to make bustle racks, too.

I also verified that my eyes cannot see the detail they once could, with or without glasses, because the single-color paint obscured details enough to prevent properly identifying the model. Of course, that is what camouflage is supposed to do.