Speculating on the next releases

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

BenfromBrooklyn
E5

Re: Speculating on the next releases

Post by BenfromBrooklyn »

Time to get back into it.

Dodging entirely the elephant in the room, I'm headed north to Sweden. GHQ has a small but nice range based around a few variants of CV-90. Clearly they are focused on post Cold War Sweden, not Cold War Sweden, as they have ignored the iconic S-Tank. Also, the CV's are in broader NATO use. They come in handy doing a Dutch force, for example.

So here are my Sweden picks.

Honorable Mention: The S Tank. As I noted, purely a cold war, single user thing, but so iconic and unique and hey, it's an S-Tank.

Honorable Mention: Archer Artillery system. Sweden is following the trend of dispensing with towed arty by mounting the artillery directly to the truck.

2nd Runner up: Any variant of the BV-206 Mortar, radar, or the armored BV-210. Plenty of options.

1st Runner Up: Any variant of the CV series. Mortar, command, communications, air defense, radar... okay we probably don't need the training variant.

Winner: The BVS-10/BV-410. Replacing the aging BV-206. Used by France, Britain, Netherlands too so it's a no brainer.

BenfromBrooklyn
E5

Time for another... okay, past time for another, but I have been very, let's say distracted!

France!
Here is another nation where GHQ really has good coverage of the tactical line up. The Jaguar might even have been released before any vehicles actually entered French service.

Honorable Mention: ANY of the French river crossing vehicles: The EFA is an especially unique and interesting vehicle, being simultaneously an amphibious transport vehicle, and a pontoon bridge component. You can link more than one to create a larger ferry, or leave one on each side of a river as a dock/ramp. It's like a Lego kit for river crossing operations.

Honorable Mention: Puma helicopter. Okay, it's getting long in the tooth, but it is still in service, was a Cold War classic, and has a lot of users.

2nd Runner Up: Sagem Patroller UAV, preferably with support vehicle, as the Drone Era is upon us.

1st Runner Up: ACMAT VLRA light utility vehicle. Though getting old, it's still in heavy use and the versions have evolved over time. Many variants: Ambulance, AA missile carrier, command post, like the American Hummer it does everything. Extra Points if GHQ includes parts for different variants, or produces them separately. Used in many nations, too. VLRA can add to many collections, both Cold War and Modern Day.

Winner: No doubt, the Serval. Serval is the 4x4 mini version of the Griffon, and it complements Griffon and Jaguar. If we have those two, we need the Serval to finish.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

I would add that an item being "long in tooth," does not disqualfy it as a production candidate. Many folks model or wargame past eras, making older equipment viable as a product. Not everyone is interested in the latest stuff. Most of my holdings are '60s to '80s, for instance, including 18 US armor battalions and 15 US mech battalions. I'm still working on E,G, H, and J series TOE units, not to mention some accompanying NATO units.I'm very interested in that "old" stuff!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

recon110

Post by recon110 »

Russian Tornado CV 9A52-4 MLRS. Replacing BM-30 Smerch and BM 21s.
US AMPV M1284 Medical Evac
US AMPV M1265 Medical Treatment
US AMPV M1287 Mortar Carrier
US AMPV M1286 Mission Command
David Farrell

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

panzergator wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:33 pm
I would add that an item being "long in tooth," does not disqualfy it as a production candidate. Many folks model or wargame past eras, making older equipment viable as a product.
Absolutely! Long-serving equipment is going to be more broadly useful across periods, too, and be more likely to turn up in all sorts of interesting places!

STS

Post by STS »

@BenfromBrooklyn

as far as your Turkish speculations from last december are concerned: I'd be somewhat surprised if they wouldn't sneak in a TB2 Bayraktar into next years lineup. I'm willing to bet that there are quite a few people out there, whose "Imagi-Nations" have a few of those on their shopping list, considering how that little bugger is currently performing.

BenfromBrooklyn
E5

Holy hats whats going on here? The forum is down whenever I get the time to write one of these things!
Anyway, while I can... I hope.... (please stay up)... I am back to speculating on future *modern* releases, so.. Here goes the Dutch!

Honorable Mention: G300 CDI MRV Stripped down and militarized classic Mercedes Benz vehicle. This and similar vehicles are in wide use.

Honorable Mention: Defenture ATV Because so many people want a light All Terrain Vehicle! they are pretty tiny in 1:285, honestly with one type, for me it could stand in for pretty much any of the many vehicles produced around the world.

2nd Runner Up: AEV-3 Kodiak Not the most common vehicle in the world, but an interesting Dutch combat engineer addition.

1st Runner Up: Fennek Variant: Let's cut GHQ some slack, they seem to be in a bind. There are plenty of excellent variants of existing vehicles out there, and (I am presuming) they are easier to produce than entirely new models from scratch. The Dutch have a few signature variants of the Fennek, which GHQ already produces. A mortar carrier, ADA missile carrier, or ATGM vehicle would be nice, and easy, and round out the Dutch line up.

Winner: Any Boxer Variant: Also on the "go with an existing platform" idea, we have the Boxer. GHQ already has 2 variants out. It would be nice and easy and useful to add a command post, ambulance, mortar or engineer variant. Maybe, as with the Strykers, one pack having 2 versions? We probably can pass on the Driver Training variant.

BenfromBrooklyn
E5

Sneaking in my take on the USA "ultra modern" releases before the actual list comes out!

One thing GHQ does have is solid coverage of the US vehicle fleet. That being said, if they find room for US additions, I think it will be mostly specialized variants of existing.

Honorable Mention: The newly selected and contracted Griffin Light tank. These things have a bad habit of being cancelled by the Pentagon, maybe wait a year to make sure its a real deal.

Honorable Mention: USMC JLTV variant with Naval Strike Missile. Admittedly not a "wargame friendly" choice, but the current revisions to the US Marine corps does seem to be giving a starring role to this system.

2nd Runner Up: Command variants. Either the command variant of the AMPV or the M1087 van variant of the LMTV series would make for nice HQ units.

1st Runner Up: RQ-7 Shadow Drone - GHQ makes the much larger Reaper and Predatory, but the Shadow is the US "medium" tactical drone. Because of its smaller size I would expect it to be marketed with support vehicles.

Winner: Stryker Shorad: With so many Stryker variants made, GHQ couldn't possibly leave the fleet unfinished!