Speculating on the next releases

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

BenfromBrooklyn
E5

Re: Speculating on the next releases

Post by BenfromBrooklyn »

Time for a new one. Let's do.. Turkey!

Right now the "Turkish" releases are the Sabra... which was built by Israel, the Turkish upgrade of the American M48, and the Firtina, which is a Turkish version of a South Korean design based off an American vehicle.

So GHQ clearly has a Turkish aspiration, though thus far nothing really screams Turkish design.

But there are possibilities. Plenty of Turkish vehicles to draw from. I mean, a lot. They have a big inventory. What could GHQ turn out?

Honorable Mention: Altay, the upcoming Turkish tank. There are three tanks already on Turkey's page, so it's not really needed. On the other hand, GHQ does give preference to tanks over other vehicles, so we can't leave this out.

Honorable Mention: BMC Water Tanker. Because every now and then the service support guys need some appreciation, and in extended operations in the middle east water tankers are significant assets. It would be the only one of its kind in the GHQ modern range, I think, and could also double as a civilian tanker truck for some collectors.

2nd Runner Up: FNS PARS 8 x 8 APC. Everyone has one, these days. If the Koreans, Taiwanese, and Israelis get theirs, it's only fair.

1st Runner Up. ACV-15 infantry vehicle. Personally, I feel this might be the winner, if GHQ were to do just one more Turkish vehicle. GHQ likes to progress by making variants, and the ACV-15 is very close to the Dutch YPR-765. (Itself a development of the M113). A few changes and poof, a Turkish IFV is here. The only reason I don't have this as winner is that I feel it is "close enough" so that gamers and collectors could create a Turkish unit with YPR-765's and only an armor geek will know the difference, and the winner is a "gap filler".

Winner: The Turks have their iconic recon vehicle which has seen some export success: the Otokar Cobra. Funky looking thing. Nothing else looks like it, actually, so until GHQ makes this there is an obvious hole in the Turkey line. One could easily substitute to cover their APC's, as I mentioned, but what looks like an Otokar Cobra except another Otokar Cobra?

YUUKI@JP

My hope

Post by YUUKI@JP »

I was born in Japan in 1970.
The Cold War era feels like the good old days.
I remember the days when I was frightened by the landing of Soviet tanks.
I like General John Hackett's World War III and Tom Clancy's Operation Red Storm.
I would like you to add the following two items to the lineup.

1. Stridsvagn 103
A uniquely shaped tank suitable for ambush tactics.
From 1967 to 1971 Sweden produced 290 cars.

2. T-72
There is a flipper / gil type armor panel on the side.
From the Cold War to the Iraq War, the T-72 was a flipper / gil type for our generation.

May your wish come true.
Merry Christmas.

BenfromBrooklyn
E5

We're up to Russia!

Obviously, GHQ has an extensive modern Russia lineup. All of the necessary slots are filled, and then some. On the other hand, the Russians have a pretty extensive lineup themselves. Very, very extensive. So here are my bets on what GHQ could do if they choose to expand the modern Russia line.

Honorable Mention: The Bumerang wheeled 8x8 APC. Supposedly replacing the BTR series. Cool looking, but there are so many others, and this isn't getting fielded very quickly. What if it never joins, I would hate to see GHQ waste modelling effort on a vehicle that never became reality. We can wait a year. I would move it up if the Russians make a serious effort to deploy them.

Honorable Mention: Any of Russia's tracked ATGM vehicles- there are variants of the MTLB, BMP2 and BMP-3 built specifically to carry and fire anti tank missiles, much as the US M-901 was a special variant of the M113 armored personnel carrier. This is the only thing that might be considered a gap in GHQ's "tactical line up".

2nd Runner Up: Any of the signals/support vehicles that go along with the large assortment of surface to air missile launchers GHQ has made. GHQ did this in the past, with the SA-6 getting its signature radar companion, but the more modern missile batteries are on their own. But we can't have a realistic air defense battery without them!

1st Runner Up. KA-60 Helicopter. Russia needs a modern helicopter other than their attack helicopters. With a ducted tail rotor and sleek design this transport seems similar to a few others in the world, but it's a Kamov, and it's Russia's.

Winner: The Kamaz Typhoon. This is one of several related armored truck designs, and has a fairly unique arrangement which makes for an interesting model. It's useful for gamers as an HQ or battlefield support vehicle.

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

BenfromBrooklyn wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:04 am
Winner: The Kamaz Typhoon. This is one of several related armored truck designs, and has a fairly unique arrangement which makes for an interesting model. It's useful for gamers as an HQ or battlefield support vehicle.
Not going to argue with you here! The massive armoured bus of the Kyphoon-K really tickles my fancy, especially since we've seen it in operation in Syria :mrgreen:

Although I suspect GHQ would be more likely to roll out one of the Ural models which look more like a traditional MRAP than an oversized bus.
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

thenorth

Post by thenorth »

I hope to see in the new line up of 22-23 is the T-80 BVM Im glad to see that the Russians decided not to completely scrap the t-80 after all but instead bring it into the modern age and they intend to deploy it in the arctic. Next is the 2s25 sprut-SD light tank and it sounds like India is going make a large purchase of 2s25 sprut-SD to fill its need of a light tank and then We may see it face off against the Chinese P.L.A Type-15/ZTQ-15 light tank. Also South K. has expressed interest in 2s25 sprut-SD. I think BMP-2M "Berezhok" & BMD-2M whould be nice to see. Between Russia and india over 1,000 BMP-2M will be built or upgraded to the BMP-2M "Berezhok". And any model of the new typhoon class MRAP's are a must have! I could go either way if I had to pick between KamAZ-63968 Typhoon-K or Ural-63099? But the K-4386 Typhoon-VDV is what I would like to see first.

Some of My honorable mentions that I would like to see on the table would be kurganets-25 IFV or APC version, 2S35 Koalitsiya-SV 152 mm Self-Propelled Howitzer best SPG in the world, BMPT-72 "Terminator 2" OR T-15 "Terminator 3" if it is ever built and put in the field,

BenfromBrooklyn
E5

Yes, fans of this ongoing speculation series, it is time for another installment. Today we look at a nation that is relegated to "Third World Warriors" in the printed catalogs, but gets a page of its own in the on line catalog. It's kind of a slight, since there are nations with fewer entries that get their own sections in the printed catalogs, but it's probably an artifact of it being too difficult to change. That's a shame, as South Africa has well established and very interesting history of producing armored vehicles. So here's looking at South Africa:

Honorable Mention G5 howitzer. Classic, iconic, and has seen battlefield use in Iraq and Iran.

Honorable Mention Any of the Samil trucks. Would give a service support vehicle to the South Africa lineup.

2nd Runner Up G6 Rhino. Few made, but an very unique and interesting model. A 6x6 self propelled wheeled armored howitzer.

1st Runner Up: Rooikat. The well known South African armored reconnaissance vehicle. Very interesting armament. It's only 76mm, but it's a modified version of the famous 76mm Oto Melara NAVAL gun and should not be considered as similar to typical 76mm tank guns. This is an important South African vehicle, except that it appeared after the Angola War period, which is the interest of some gamers.

Winner: The Badger Infantry Combat Vehicle. While there are unique and interesting vehicles listed above, GHQ likes to expand its range by making variants, and the Badger is a variant of the Patria AMV, which populates the armies of Sweden, Finland, and several NATO nations. So making this vehicle gives them a lead into a range of others, while the other South African vehicles tend to be "one off" designs.

Splod
E5

Post by Splod »

Fantastic speculation as always!

I've got another curve-ball to throw at you about your speculation, as I feel you've missed a critical piece! Refer the below quote:
BenfromBrooklyn wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:48 am
**snip** the Angola War period, which is the interest of some gamers. **snip**
Can I suggest that you've overlooked the Buffel?

The Buffel is not currently in GHQ's catalogue, and is a mainstay for anyone gaming African conflicts. South Africa made extensive use of them throughout the Angolan War, and they even saw use in very limited numbers by Rhodesia. There is nothing currently in the GHQ range which could be used as a reasonable stand-in or Proxy for the Buffel, and it's suitably unique enough to attract 'what-if' and sci-fi gamers. It would also nicely round out the current 1970's - 1990's SADF range in GHQ's catalog.

I feel the Buffel would be a better addition to GHQ's catalogue as it expands on an existing period, unlike the Badger which would be the first ultra-modern South African vehicle for GHQ.
Little Metal Men: A story of a distracted wargamer

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
- Douglas Adams

BenfromBrooklyn
E5

Alas, the poor Buffel was not overlooked, but I am limiting the scope of this to current orders of battle. If a vehicle just happens to cover a popular prior period (like the South Korean M450, a reprint of the Cold War US M715) so much the better, but it needs to be in current service to make my list.
And the Buffel... Well, it's in a few 3rd world armies, yes, but by the serious nations its been left behind.

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Some really good posts and ideas here.
I had a load of SA kit some years ago (including the GHQ Ratel's).
The vast amount were Scotia (some of their better models) which I cleaned up on at cents on the dollar from a store.
I only kept the Samil trucks because they looked ok and the weight was too great to ship anywhere else!

YUUKI@JP

Post by YUUKI@JP »

I was born in Japan in 1970.
The Cold War era feels like the good old days.
I remember the days when I was frightened by the landing of Soviet tanks.
I like General John Hackett's World War III and Tom Clancy's Operation Red Storm.
I would like you to add the following two items to the lineup.

1. Stridsvagn 103
A uniquely shaped tank suitable for ambush tactics.
From 1967 to 1971 Sweden produced 290 cars. :D

2. T-72
There is a flipper / gil type armor panel on the side.
From the Cold War to the Iraq War, the T-72 was a flipper / gil type for our generation.

May my wish come true.

BenfromBrooklyn
E5

Today we cover Italy! The GHQ Modern Italy range is small but well chosen, it gives a good overall coverage of their "tactical lineup". We have scouts, tanks, infantry carrier, air defense, and artillery, though Italy doesn't seem to have the German SP artillery on their page. (It's a fine piece of equipment, I just can't read it or type it without thinking Armored Hobbits)

So here we go with possible expansions to the modern Italian line!

Honorable Mention Mangusta Helicopter

Honorable Mention Iveco Puma: Wheeled armored reconnaissance in 4x4 or 6x6 configuration.

2nd Runner Up GFF4 Orso, 4x4 or 6x6 armored utility vehicle being built for Germany and Italy.

1st Runner Up: VM-90 Light utility vehicle. Very common Italian general purpose light vehicle. Maybe also as 120mm mortar prime movers, with mortars in towed and deployed configuration.

Winner: GHQ likes to expand its range by making variants, so in top place for Italy we have any variant of the Freccia Infantry Combat Vehicle: the mortar carrier, Command Post, or the anti tank missile version. Possibly packaged in a set of more than one type.

BenfromBrooklyn
E5

It's time to speculate on future GHQ modern releases again! Continuing our trip around the world, we're up to... Germany!

GHQ has a big German range. Lots of equipment is already covered, but GHQ might want to keep going. Let's see what they could do!

Honorable Mention: I brought it up before, but now we are in its home nation: M3 Amphibious Rig. Big, interesting, world wide use.

Honorable Mention: KZO Drone, and carrier/launcher truck. Because drones are a thing, now. Can't have a real army without drones these days. Tactical drones are too small to be sold on their own, I think, they should come with support trucks. Like GHQ does with towed artillery, put a few drones and a few trucks in a package. (My ideal: 2 drones, 3 trucks- 2 carrier/launcher, 1 HQ)

2nd Runner Up: Eagle IV. Or V. Tactical armored truck, very popular, used in a number of roles by Germany, the Danes, and the Swiss.

1st Runner Up: Dingo light armored truck. Used for a variety of purposes, and in several NATO nations- the Dingo is the backbone of Luxembourg's army. Like many German vehicles an Afghan vet.

Winner: The first factor I use to judge the winner is "gap filling", that is, would this enable a collector or wargamer to have tactical units that can't be reproduced with existing model ranges. Then, we have model esthetics- does the vehicle offer something special? Versatility- can GHQ get more bang by adapting the model into different versions? and occurrence- how common is the vehicle in the world. The Wiesel meets 3 out of 4, and while it's not used outside of Germany, it is a fairly common vehicle there, and has been around since Cold War days. It's a light tracked airmobile armored vehicle- pretty much the only one of it's class in the West. The Wiesel outnumbers many vehicles GHQ has chosen to make. It has a variety of models, with recon, anti-armor, surveillance, anti-air, mortar, and command variants. It's been in action in Africa and Afghanistan. Definitely the best choice to expand the German modern range! Wiesels!

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

I’m hoping to see more Modern Ground based AA weapons mainly from NATO like the Patriot Missile launcher, or the 20mm cannon with Sky shield Radar.

chatto
E5

Post by chatto »

I feel under the current real world circumstances, a few Ukrainian systems would be a good inclusion.

Bogdana SPG
BTR-4 series
Sapsan or Hrim missile launcher vehicles
Ukrainian infantry with a mix of Eastern and Western small arms/ heavy weapons.

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

I’m hoping for more Modern Canadian Vehicle’s this year.