Surrogates

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Cav Dog
E5

Re: Surrogates

Post by Cav Dog »

panzergator wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:11 am

AND my NATO contingent - Brits, Germans, French. I like the larger Brit armoured regiment organization, fully-manned.

The Cold War is a favorite study of mine, as is USAREUR and US and British army unit organization.

Plenty yet to do.
Gator,

Then you should like this resource:

https://www.relikte.com/literatur.htm

It has links to ebooks in downloadable .pdf format covering the TO&Es of the DDR, FRG, Canada, France, GB, Belgium, Holland, USA and USSR circa 1988-89.

They are in German but if you don't have a translator on site, google translate if your friend. Plus the vehicle nomenclatures are pretty universal.

Here is an example from NVA MSR 22 (Motorized Infantry Regiment 22)

I. Motorisiertes Schützenbataillon/MSR-22 (I./MSR-22)
Führung I./MSR-22 (Fü I./MSR-22) ..................................................................... (3 SPW-70, 6 Strela-2M) ........................................ Mühlhausen/Th, Sondershäuser Landstr. 80 [Görmarsche Landstr.]

Nachrichtenzug/I./MSR-22 (NZ/I./MSR-22)

Panzerabwehrzug/I./MSR-22 (PAZ/I./MSR-22) ...................................... (3 SPW, 3 SPG-9, 4 PALR) ...................................... Mühlhausen/Th, Weiße-Haus-Chaussee

1. Motorisierte Schützenkompanie/I./MSR-22 (1./I./MSR-22) ................ (10 SPW-70)
2. Motorisierte Schützenkompanie/I./MSR-22 (2./I./MSR-22) ................ (10 SPW-70)
3. Motorisierte Schützenkompanie/I./MSR-22 (3./I./MSR-22) ................ (10 SPW-70)
Granatwerferbatterie/I./MSR-22 (GwBttr/I./MSR-22) ................................ (6 GrW-120) ............................................................... Mühlhausen/Th, Weiße-Haus-Chaussee

Here is 1st Bde 3AD:

1st Brigade, 3rd Armored Division
HQ, 1st Bde, 3AD – Kirch-Göns (Butzbach, GE), Ayers Kaserne
HHC, 1st Bde, 3AD

2nd Battalion, 32nd Armor Regiment – Kirch-Göns (Butzbach, GE), Ayers Kaserne
HHC, 2–32 Armor [2x M1A1 Abrams, 6x M3 Bradley CFV, 6x M106A2 107mm]
A Company [14x M1A1 Abrams]
B Company [14x M1A1 Abrams]
C Company [14x M1A1 Abrams]
D Company [14x M1A1 Abrams]

4th Battalion, 32nd Armor Regiment – Kirch-Göns (Butzbach, GE), Ayers Kaserne
HHC, 4–32 Armor [2x M1A1 Abrams, 6x M3 Bradley CFV, 6x M106A2 107mm]
A Company [14x M1A1 Abrams]
B Company [14x M1A1 Abrams]
C Company [14x M1A1 Abrams]
D Company [14x M1A1 Abrams]

3rd Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment (Mechanized) – Kirch-Göns (Butzbach, GE), Ayers Kaserne
ANMERKUNG: Bis Oktober 1988: 2nd Battalion, 36th Infantry Regiment (Mechanized).
HHC, 3–5 Cav (Mech) [2x M2 Bradley IFV, 6x M3 Bradley CFV, 6x M106A2 107mm]
A Company [13x M2 Bradley IFV]
B Company [13x M2 Bradley IFV]
C Company [13x M2 Bradley IFV]
D Company [13x M2 Bradley IFV]
E Company [12x M901 ITV]

5th Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment (Mechanized) – Kirch-Göns (Butzbach, GE), Ayers Kaserne
ANMERKUNG: Bis Oktober 1988: 3rd Battalion, 36th Infantry Regiment (Mechanized).
HHC, 5–5 Cav (Mech) [2x M2 Bradley IFV, 6x M3 Bradley CFV, 6x M106A2 107mm]
A Company [13x M2 Bradley IFV]
B Company [13x M2 Bradley IFV]
C Company [13x M2 Bradley IFV]
D Company [13x M2 Bradley IFV]
E Company [12x M901 ITV]

You have to scroll through a lot of higher level command, reserve and logistics information but the combat units are in there.
Tactics are the opinion of the senior officer present.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Roger H wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:26 am
Remember the old saying ……”If they ever have to give Europe an enima , they’d insert it there at Graf .”
LOL Roger I've never heard that but it's funny as hell! I loved Graf too because Graff = live fire, though admittedly I don't think I was ever warm or dry there.

Cav Dog, that's an awesome website! Thanks for sharing!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Oh, YES! THAT looks VERY interesting! Thank you very much!
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Roger H
E5

Post by Roger H »

Mud, Rain, Ice, Slush, Snow ………Winter REFORGER at Graf . Any of you guys there the year the 8inch battalion from Herzo messed up and dropped an HE round into bowling alley by accident in about 84 or 85 ? The range safety briefings became college courses after that.
Thanks for the recommendations with the Shapeways stuff. I’ve not had great luck with them regarding acrylic paints sticking. The CUCVs and shelters seem to look like crap after a while and the black painted wheels don’t stay that way for long either . I tried priming first, but then I lost a lot of detail when I did the final painting with the NATO flage.
I was looking back at my inventory and found some other substitutions I had to do .

The FH-70 Towed Howitzer and Prime Mover - The best I could come up with was the M198 and the 7 Ton German MAN for my British field regiments for 19 Inf Bde and 24 Airmobile Bde . Used the same for the Germans in their division artillery brigade .

I have just enough actual H&R models of the FV 180 CEV for the three engineer regiments in the BAOR armored divisions , but if I needed any more I’d be SOL . Any ideas here or let’s put pressure on them to include it the new releases for next year .

Ground mount Rapiers……..I’ve tried to use the launchers from the tracked model, but I’ve not found a good representative base or radars to mount them on .

I’ve had much better luck scratch building a HAWK battalion though. I bought the old track mounted HAWKS a few years ago and mounted the missile assembly on the four wheel service trailers from WW2 (that the quad .50s were mounted on ) The box trailers worked great for scratch building the search and tracking radars on (can’t remember the AN TPQ designation ) . Add the five tons and you’ve got a pretty good looking HAWK battalion ( two launchers per battery, three firing batteries)

The CINC M-50 water truck is a pretty good substitute for the 21/2 ton fuel trucks we had before the HEMETT tankers .
I even tried to convert the GHQ Lysander model into a U-6 Beaver , but that didn’t turn out so well . Guess I will break down and buy the Shapeways version like I did with the U-1 Otter and the OH-13 .
You guys can see the crazy crap I try to do .