What Books Are You Reading?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Brigade Commander
E5

Re: What Books Are You Reading?

Post by Brigade Commander »

panzergator wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:35 pm
"The Outpost" is a very good book. It was hard to read it, but finish it I did. I would never rely solely on a journalist's book to make an evaluation of an event, but this book has plenty of good meat. Just read other books, as well.
(Un)fortunately Jake Tapper writes very well. He certainly put me in the places he was writing and it was really hard at times getting through a few spots. You already know the troops and the impact is great. Never having "been there, done that" I could already see things were not going to "go well" and all you can feel is compassion and respect for what these servicemen will face and how they handle it. And the utter waste when you can see there really is almost no upside to their being in the places they are. Yet they keep trying their damnedest. I never felt our going to Afghanistan was a mistake, as I did Iraq before we actually left for there or ever since, but we certainly did not handle it well. We squandered world support and more importantly domestic support because of it.
"It is a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the road and, if you do not keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins to Frodo Baggins.

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Outpost reminded me a lot of At kin son's Day of Battle. You wonder what this or that leader is thinking and why something has to be done a certain way when the outcome is so predictable, but we are looking at it with hindsight and probably a better "big picture.". That's something I always try to keep in mind. I learned to do that in my early years studying Custer and Little Bighorn. Things are not necessarily as presented and you better do a little more reading (probably why my Custer shelf is 4 feet wide).

I've learned, over a number of years, to listen carefully to what an administration says, what words they are unconsciously and consciously choosing, to discern what they are selling us. The 2003 invasion of Iraq was clearly, from the way it was presented, a pig in a poke. The result was predictable, politicians and military leaders pulled the wool over their own eyes willingly, enthusiastically. They committed the folly of believing their own press releases. It cost us dearly and is still costing us. Military and naval people paid, and still pay, most of all. Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Feith, Franks, all wanted an easy mark for their history book page. Powell should have quashed it, but Powell was no George Marshall.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Harlan
E5

Post by Harlan »

I am currently reading "Red Army Handbook 1939 to 1945" by Steven Zaloga and Leland Ness. A must-have for anyone doing WWII Soviets or wargaming WWII Eastern Front.
McAllen, TX

Enjoying Tank Charts, MeinPanzer, and Harpoon

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I just started this book - Tactics: A Theory of Victory in Battle by B. A. Friedman. I'm hoping to step my tactical game up a little bit so that I don't make dumb mistakes in my next wargame!

Last edited by redleg on Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

Trying to Find a PDF Copy of Praxis Tacticum that Redleg recommended to me since it was written by a Canadian. So Far that Book has Eluded me for weeks.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Here you go.
Amazon info below. Check your public library. I have seen some listed as high as $41.00.
Praxis Tacticum: The Art, Science and Practice of Military Tactics (Essential Guides to War and Warfare) Paperback – Illustrated, September 23, 2021
by Col Charles S Oliviero (Author)
4.6 4.6 out of 5 stars 72 ratings
Part of: Essential Guides to War and Warfare (3 books)
See all formats and editions
Kindle
$9.99
Read with Our Free App

Paperback
$19.99
4 Used from $20.99
10 New from $19.99

'DOWNLOAD [PDF]] Praxis Tacticum: The Art, Science and Practice of Military Tactics by Charles S. Oliviero on Textbook New Chapters
*Read pdf Praxis Tacticum: The Art, Science and Practice of Military Tactics by Charles S. Oliviero on Kindle Full Edition.
Get here=> https://https://topgoodstudy.blogspot.com/id/1777312159 <=.Supporting format: PDF, EPUB, Kindle, Audio, MOBI, HTML, RTF, TXT, etc.
Download or Read ePub/PDF Praxis Tacticum: The Art, Science and Practice of Military Tactics Kindle Unlimited by Charles S. Oliviero (Author) PDF is a great book to read and that's why I recommend read
Chris

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

the link did not work. ill have to check my local library for the book.

PolishGI
E5

Post by PolishGI »

Current:

Panzer Operations: The Eastern Front Memoir of General Raus, 1941-1945

On deck circle:

Iron Cross Brigade - The Story of Werner Gösel and Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 244
Image Charlie don't surf!
"Don't do things by half."
GHQ BUILD THREAD

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

Unfortunately my library does not have a copy of Praxis Tacticum, if anyone has a PDF scan of the book. ill pm you my Email.

E5

Post by 7.62 »

MechCommander wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:52 am
Unfortunately my library does not have a copy of Praxis Tacticum, if anyone has a PDF scan of the book. ill pm you my Email.
Mech

https://newreleasesbook.com/?book=1777312159

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

the link did not work Mick.

E5

Post by 7.62 »

Works fine for me on three different computers, MS and Linux.
My link is not the same as the one Chris posted.

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

My guess is the Anti-Virus program I use must have blocked it.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Find another book then. Praxis Tacticum was a recommendation, but if it's not available to you then find something else. Look in your library. Google. If you want to learn the basics you have to put some effort into it.
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

MechCommander
E5

Post by MechCommander »

Currently Reading FM3-21-20 right now redleg.