What Books Are You Reading?

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Roger H
E5

Re: What Books Are You Reading?

Post by Roger H »

Just finished an awesome book called “Nuclear Birds in the Keys” . It’s memoirs of an officer commanding a firing battery of the Nike Hercules battalion stationed around Miami to protect it and Homestead AFB from an attack from Cuba . Pretty interesting how a Nike site was laid out and the day to day routine those guys would go through . That battalion was on alert up until the late 70s and was moved to Ft Bliss to serve as the school battalion for the remaining Nike units in the US and NATO . That battalion was teamed with two IHAWK battalions that protected the installations in the Keys under an ADA Brigade based in Miami .
Wargaming a Nike Site isn’t a really practical thing , but the book was very interesting.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Great list of books for me to look into! We have 2 Army colleagues with us for Thanksgiving and the conversation last night turned to the Civil War, so now I have that on my mind and I'm thinking about looking into the ACW books you guys mentioned above!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Beagle, for some great CW reading, take a look at The General's General, a biography of Arthur MacArthur (Doug's dad). Really good on the Civil War period. Doug was right. He never could hace been the officer his father was.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

Beagle
E5

Post by Beagle »

Red, pretty much anything written by Shelby Foote, or Stephen Sears are good reads too.

Gator, I’ll have to add that to my list, got three more on the shelf after Catton is finished. Island Inferno, Coming of the Third Reich, and Dark Water Starry Skies.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Voices From Stalingrad, Jonathon Bastable. Not a cheery holiday read and a grim reminder of how good most of us have it. Interesting to get the view of the battle from those who fought it one meter at a time.

mluther
E5

Post by mluther »

Another incredible book from Jack Didden and Maarten Swarts in their effort to cover NW Europe in WWII
The Army that Got Away: The 15. Armee in the Summer of 1944.
Its really a prequel to their 2 previous books, Autumn Gale and Kampfgruppe Walther.
Loads of new info on the German right flank from Normandy to Market Garden. Lots of good scenario material. Highly recommended,
Mark

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Thanks for the posts you guys! I need to look into some of these books!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I just finished a book called Praxis Tacticum by a Canadian dude named Charles Oliviero. It’s all about general tactics and military principles at the junior officer level – platoon leader and company commander. I really liked it and wish I had access to it when I was a lost lieutenant! A lot of good lessons that ca be applied to wargaming!

Now starting to read the Dune series!

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Just finished “Invasion - They’re Coming” by Paul Carell. German perspective Of DDay with first hand accounts of frontline units (originally published in 1962). Interesting accounts although, as would be assumed, the Wehrmacht is given more credit for the first few days than probably deserved.

Followed by Goodwood: The British Offebsive in Normandy by Ian Daglish. Great abs detailed book about the Brit offensive, excellent maps and pictures too!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Those books look interesting Burt! There are some wargame rules for Goodwood that I stumbled across some time ago, but I don't know much about it. I may need to pick that book up!

Sadly, I have a big reading backlog after Christmas! I'm reading Dune before jumping back into the military books.

BurtWolf
E5

Post by BurtWolf »

Hi Red, that book on Goodwood was really interesting as he used alot of aerial recon photos to track specific tank company movements etc. I did not know much about it until I read this book. I’d like to game it would be of these days…

As to Dune, I just caught the new movie version on a flight over Christmas - actually it was pretty cool and I dare say better than the original movie version. Good luck with the book, it’s a thick ‘un!

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

Yeah this book is a bear. And I got the whole 6-book series to get through!

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

Read Dune as a teen, before it was popular. That was a loooong time ago. First half of the book was ok, last half was like running in a planet of sand. Didn't bother with the rest.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

whenimaginationfails
E5

Post by whenimaginationfails »

Nearly done with 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed by Eric H. Cline.

chrisswim
E5

Post by chrisswim »

Finished listening to audiobook, John Adams a week ago.
Now I am listening to Audiobook, ‘Hunting Adolf Eichman’.
On CD 10 of 11.
Plan to next to listen to 1776, Truman, or Thomas Jefferson & the Tripoli Pirates. All of these three by McCullough.
Chris