Top This for an oddball kitbash!!!

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Roger H
E5

Top This for an oddball kitbash!!!

Post by Roger H »

I’ve been sitting here looking at these packs of South Korean MLRS and low and behold it hit me like a bolt out of the blue!……….
Why not use the cab and chassis to build the US version of the Roland air defense missile system ? You know…..the one we started out with mounting on the M-109
chassis but then cancelled the production and then turned around and took what had already been produced and remounted the system on the back of the M800 five ton chassis and created a battalion’s worth for the New Mexico National Guard . They only kept the things about 2 years before they deactivated the battalion and re-equipped with Chapparals . The unit had about 30 launchers in three batteries . 5/200 ADA was supposed to have had a “go to war” mission with 11th ADA Brigade and probably would have been one of the first to get deployment orders for Saudi in August 1990 had it not fell victim to budget cuts the year before .

panzergator
E5

Re: Top This for an oddball kitbash!!!

Post by panzergator »

I remember that one. There was also a version that mounted the system on a slightly raised M109 hull. It was part of a NATO commonality drive. Would like to have seen US adopt Gepard gun system, as well.

There is a lot you can do with that 5ton chassis, but they are kind of expensive. I don't have spares laying around, although I will 3D print them. I'm afraid they are not at the top of my priority of work list.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.

redleg
E5

Post by redleg »

I didn't know such a thing ever existed. Now you have to build it so we can all see what it looked like!
Redleg's Website: micropope.webstarts.com

panzergator
E5

Post by panzergator »

As far as I know, it was only a prototype. Lop a FAASV off wher the sides angle in and drop a Roland system on it, attach a couple box extensions on the back, and you have it.
All blessings flow from a good mission statement.
Pogo was right. So was Ike.
"A Gentleman is a man who is only rude intentionally." (Churchill)
Give credit. Take responsibility.