Vietnam Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

jb
E5

Vietnam Thread

Post by jb »

...and its one,two ,three
what are we fighting four..
don't ask me I don't give a damn...
next stop is Vietnam...
...and its five, six,seven ...
open up the pearly gates...
HEY,ther aint no time to wonder why,
WHOOPEEE,
we're ALL GONNA DIE...
Country Joe and The Fish,doing their thing at Woodstock
This is a thread for ANYTHING-Vietnam
John

ShortRound70
E5

Post by ShortRound70 »

JB:
Just for clarity, what is your idea about this thread? TOE's, gaming ideas, and things like that, right? If so, then cool with me. "Fade to Black" & "Purple Haze" come to mind. That WAS a long time ago.
Semper Fi!

jb
E5

Dak Rue 1/9th Air Cav

Post by jb »

The Air Cav doing their thing. C Troop 1/9th Air Cav checking out hill 473, a few klicks south of the Ia drang valley. Inteligence has it that "Charlie" is using the trail system in the area to move supplies and troops from across the border (Cambodia) into South Vietnam. The loach (part of a "pink" team) takes fire and hits from a 12.7mm position on the hill. Response is swift with a Cobra firing 6 rockets in 3 waves,minguns,and 40mm GL ,on the 12.7 position, taking one out and supressing the rest.
The "Blue"team is called in and lands south west of hill 473 in an open area that is a good LZ. The pink team covers the woods on all sides of the LZ waiting to support the Blue team...
John

Ritter
E5

Post by Ritter »

Again, Good Stuff there JB. I particularly like the rotors - look vey authentic!
Can almost smell the jet-B! :roll:

Troy

jb
E5

Post by jb »

Thanks Troy. I made those rotors years ago,(I'm glad you can't see the dust!)I do like the effect it gives.
John

ShortRound70
E5

Post by ShortRound70 »

JB:
Man, what can I say? GREAT stuff! Your infantry basing (from your other posting)
looks good from the angle of the pics. I agree with Ritter, the rotors, man, the rotors!
(To paraphrase somone.) Now you need Col. Hal Moore & the 1st/7th Cav. at
LZ X-RAY. :mrgreen:

ShortRound70
E5

Post by ShortRound70 »

Just to add my 2 cents to this thread:

USMC Rifle Company TO&E Vietnam:

Company HQ: 1 x Capt., 1 x 1st Lt., 1 x GySgt., 2 x Radiomen, 2 x Riflemen
(Runners), all with M-14/M-16, 2 x Corpsmen.

Rifle Platoon (x 3):
Platoon HQ: 1 x 2nd Lt., 1 x Plt. Sgt., 1 x Plt. Guide (Runner), 1 x Radioman, all with
M-14/M-16, 2 x Corpsmen.

Rifle Squad (x 3):
1 x Sqd. Ldr., 3 x Team Ldr., 6 x Riflemen, 3 x Auto-Riflemen, all with M-14/M-16,
1 x Grenadier with M-79. Auto-Rifle was a modified M-14 w/selector switch and bipod.
Some units kept them 'til way late in the war.

Weapons Platoon (x1):
Platoon HQ: 1 x 2nd Lt., 1 x Plt. Sgt., 1 x Radioman, 1 x Mortar FO w/radio (Bn. Net),
all with M-14/M-16, 1 x Corpman.

Mortar Section:
1 x Section Ldr., 3 x M-29 81mm mortars, each w/4 crew, all with M-14/M-16
(most also carried M-1911A1).

Anti-Tank Section:
1 x Section Ldr., 3 x Sqd. Ldr, 6 x M-20 3.5" Bazooka or 6 x M-67 90mm RR, each
w/3 crew, all with M-14/M-16 (gunners also carried M-1911A1). M-72 LAW
started replacing 3.5" & 90mm RR in 1969.

Machine Gun Section:
1 x Section Ldr., 3 x Sqd. Ldr., 6 x M-60 MMG, each w/3 crew, gunners carried
M-1911A1, all others M-14/M-16

Notes:
1. This is a 100% strength TO&E. We all know about combat losses and weapon malfunction. Like reality, it won't last long.
2. I used several sources to compile this, starting with my own library (and what is left of my memory). Even found my Guidebook for Marines (Pub. 1968). One surprising source was http://www.gruntonline.com/index.htm This is a pretty good site about Vietnam. Worth a look.
3. The M-14 was used until 1968, when the M-16 was issued. Some units kept their auto M-14's for additional firepower.

Semper Fi!

ShortRound70
E5

Post by ShortRound70 »

How I left out the M-19 60mm Mortar, I don't know. Anyway, the M-19 was used 3 per Weapons Platoon before many units switched to the M-29 81mm. The M-19 was light and good, but not enough punch. You can use either. Sorry for the omission.

Wayne

Vietnam figurines.

Post by Wayne »

I`m tempted to buy US Vietnam infantry and NVA guys. I have some Hueys with doors opened from other company. Lost struts, blades and some doors for these copters. I wish that GHQ would make helos with open doors etc. But otherwise a Viet. Dio. would be neat . I guess LVTP-5s would be great to have if using marines coming ashore . I would like to see the M-50 Ontos and mule added to the list of vehicles made by GHQ. Also can they make 50 cal. mg. and other weapons separately? Any comments on the Vietnam soldiers?

jb
E5

Post by jb »

ShortRound70 wrote:JB:
Man, what can I say? GREAT stuff! Your infantry basing (from your other posting)
looks good from the angle of the pics. I agree with Ritter, the rotors, man, the rotors!
(To paraphrase somone.) Now you need Col. Hal Moore & the 1st/7th Cav. at
LZ X-RAY. :mrgreen:
I would trather do the 2/5th CAV,they were in the same campaign a week later- besides that was one of my old outfits( but not in '65)
John

voltigeur
E5

Post by voltigeur »

How I left out the M-19 60mm Mortar, I don't know. Anyway, the M-19 was used 3 per Weapons Platoon before many units switched to the M-29 81mm. The M-19 was light and good, but not enough punch. You can use either. Sorry for the omission.
Actually in Vietnam the ommision is right on. For the Army there is an unofficial organisation. To be realistic for Army units convert the Weapons platoon into a 4th rifle platoon. The standard operating mode is 2 platoons in teh field 2 platoons on Guard/ Alert. The reason is that if you take mortars into the field you will end up deploying a platoon to protect them. If your rules are realistic it is very easy for the communist to get inside their minimum range and over run them.

One problem is this organisation was never universaly accepted outside Vietnam. So it is not officially published. But in 2 books from officers that were there said that after the battle of LZ X-ray you would never take the weapons platoon to the field.
I pray for Peace on Earth Good will toward men. Till then one round HE fire for Effect!

jb
E5

Post by jb »

voltigeur wrote:
Actually in Vietnam the ommision is right on. For the Army there is an unofficial organisation. To be realistic for Army units convert the Weapons platoon into a 4th rifle platoon. The standard operating mode is 2 platoons in teh field 2 platoons on Guard/ Alert. The reason is that if you take mortars into the field you will end up deploying a platoon to protect them. If your rules are realistic it is very easy for the communist to get inside their minimum range and over run them.

One problem is this organisation was never universaly accepted outside Vietnam. So it is not officially published. But in 2 books from officers that were there said that after the battle of LZ X-ray you would never take the weapons platoon to the field.
...Besides you need to hump a lot of mortar rounds for the tube....
John

jb
E5

Air Cavalry Troop

Post by jb »

BACKGROUND

There was normally a single Air Cav Troop organic to each Armoured Cavalry Squadron and three Air Cav Troops organic to the Air Cav Squadron of the Airmobile Division. For a full commentary on the role and organisation of an actual Air Cavalry Troop see D Troop 3/5th Air Cavalry. An Air Cav Troop contained an Aero Weapons Platoon, an Aero Scout Platoon and an Aero Rifle Platoon.

The high proportion of Warrant Officers is due to the fact that most air crew were of this rank. In the schematic below I have only shown the 'combat' elements of the Troop - there was also a Maintenance Section and an Aviation Section.

AERO WEAPONS PLATOON

PLATOON HQ

1 x Captain (Pltn. CO)
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)
1 x AN/PRC-25
XM-28 and XM-159
1 x E-7 (Pltn, Sgt.)
1 x WO (Helo Pilot)
1 x AN/PRC-25
XM-28 and XM-159
1 x WO (Crew Chief)
1 X e_5 (Crew Chief)
1 x AN/PRC-25
XM-28 and XM-159

AEROWEAPONS SECTION ( x2 )

1 x Lt. (Section Ldr)
1 x WO (Helo Pilot)
XM-28 and XM-159
1 x AN/PRC-25
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)
2 x WO (Helo Pilot)
XM-28 and XM-159
1 x AN/PRC-25
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)
1 x Lt. (Section Ldr)
1 x WO (Helo Pilot)
XM-28 and XM-159
1 x AN/PRC-25
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)
2 x WO (Helo Pilot)
XM-28 and XM-159
1 x AN/PRC-25
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)

AERO SCOUT PLATOON

PLATOON HQ

1 x Captain (Plt. CO)
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)
1 x AN/PRC-25
1 x XM-27

1 x E-7 (Plt. Sgt.)
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)
1 x AN/PRC-25
1 x XM-27

AEROSCOUT SECTION ( x2 )

1 x Lt. (Section CO)
1 x E-6 (Observer)
1 x AN/PRC-25
1 x XM-27
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)
1 x WO (Helo Pilot)
1 x E-5 (Observer)
1 x AN/PRC-25
1 x XM-27
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)
1 x Lt. (Section CO)
1 x E-6 (Observer)
1 x AN/PRC-25
1 x XM-27
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)
1 x WO (Helo Pilot)
1 x E-5 (Observer)
1 x AN/PRC-25
1 x XM-27
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)

AERO RIFLE PLATOON

1 x Lt. (Section Ldr.)
1 x WO (Helo Pilot)
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)
AN/PRC-25
XM-23
2 x WO (Helo Pilot)
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)
AN/PRC-25
XM-23
2 x WO (Helo Pilot)
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)
AN/PRC-25
XM-23
2 x WO (Helo Pilot)
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)
AN/PRC-25
XM-23
2 x WO (Helo Pilot)
1 x E-5 (Crew Chief)
AN/PRC-25
XM-23
ARP PLATOON HQ
1 x Captain (Plt. CO)
1 x E-7 (Plt. Sgt.)
1 x Medic
2 x RTO
2 x AN/PRC-25

ARP RIFLE SQUAD
1 x E-6 (Sqd. Ldr.)
2 x E-5 (Team Ldr.)
2 x E-4 (M-60 Team)
2 x E-4 (Gr'dr) M-79
2 x E-3 (Rifleman)
1 x RTO
1 x AN/PRC-25
ARP RIFLE SQUAD
1 x E-6 (Sqd. Ldr.)
2 x E-5 (Team Ldr.)
2 x E-4 (M-60 Team)
2 x E-4 (Gr'dr) M-79
2 x E-3 (Rifleman)
1 x RTO
1 x AN/PRC-25
ARP RIFLE SQUAD
1 x E-6 (Sqd. Ldr.)
2 x E-5 (Team Ldr.)
2 x E-4 (M-60 Team)
2 x E-4 (Gr'dr) M-79
2 x E-3 (Rifleman)
1 x RTO
1 x AN/PRC-25
ARP RIFLE SQUAD
1 x E-6 (Sqd. Ldr.)
2 x E-5 (Team Ldr.)
2 x E-4 (M-60 Team)
2 x E-4 (Gr'dr) M-79
2 x E-3 (Rifleman)
1 x RTO
1 x AN/PRC-25
John

jb
E5

Post by jb »

Just some pics of Vietnam..
"Foo" gas a defensive booby trap made with napalm...FSB David 1970
I want to see Mk-1 make this with his yarn!
E 2/5 Cav building a hooch 1969
Cambodia (SHHhhh not s'posed to be there!) June 1970,Loachs,gunship and lifts
B 2/5 Company "CP" 1968 before an air assault
A good example of a bad LZ 1/12 Cav
John

jb
E5

Assault on Hill

Post by jb »

This the hilltop that the NVA are holding. The main trail goes through here. It is a bottle neck in the supply line. The NVA are awaiting the ground aasault. They prevoiusly have been rocketed and minigunned,but have held their ground. The Platoon leader even rallying a squad that retreated.Image
These are reinforcements that were rocketed by "Red" team cobra,West of the hill
This group of 6 were minigunned by "loch",they were part of the reinforcements on the west side of hillImage
"blue" groundlbers on the east side of the base of hill preparing to asault through the "sticks" to the hilltop. Before reaching this position,a fire fight ensued, NVA lost several,and didied the AO. Blue team took no casualties. Firefight lasted 2 game turns,which might have been anywhere from 2 to 6 minutes of "real" time.Image
The next 2 pictures are of the "blues" flying support if needed. They are about half a Klick away in a pattern. They are staying out of the way of "pink" team which is laying down support for the assault on the hill. One Cobra took damage and had to leave (RPG).After wards the last remaing Cobra used it's standoff range of rockets to "soften" up enemy reinforcements spotted by loch.
John