Vietnam Thread

This is a general forum for all types of posts related to Military models.

Moderators: dnichols, GHQ, Mk 1

Mk 1
E5

Post by Mk 1 »

Wow!

Really impressive, JB. Really, really impressive! Great models, without a doubt. But it also appears to have been a great game. That's a tough type of action to simulate.

Really impressive!
-Mark 1
Difficile est, saturam non scribere.
"It is hard NOT to write satire." - Decimus Iunius Juvenalis, 1st Century AD

ShortRound70
E5

Post by ShortRound70 »

DOUBLE WOW!!! Great stuff as always! Like the way the basing turned out. What rules did you use for the game? Lock 'n Load, JB, lock 'n load!

jb
E5

"Panzertrupen" 'nam style

Post by jb »

Thanks fellas. I was just wanting to paint some US and NVA troops for fun a few weeks back. Next thing I know I'm mounting troops on single bases,digging out my old Cav choppers and redoing them. I even went as far as making decals for them,grinding out excess on the skids,etc.
Now I'm kind of going full circle on my rules. my rules "Panzertruppen" started out as "Smokin' Charlie"in 1999. I was reworking the rules for Vietnam gaming-thats the pictures you see are some of the play testing I've been doing. I also realised I had to do nothing to the rules (mechanics) to do what I wanted for Vietnam gaming. I think the only thing I did was add a column that would give a slight wound(carry on) or a W wound (that would require dustoff). I also did add on or should I say modify my small arms Vs aircraft column.
Mk1 as far as playing the 'Nam game style I used to feel the same way. It seems that if you wanted to do large units you were kind of limited,but after play testing this week I have a different view.
This Cav scenario was a lot of fun,and I hate to use this word,realistic. It did show what would happen. We would get info,go in, destroy,and leave. Realising this is right up a gamers alley. Another good scenario would be the communists atacking an FSB.
After doing some reading reading,I found out that we never did take the Chu Pong massif (Ia Drang valley). This area alone can give you all kinds of scenarios,except for using vehicles. This is probably the reason we didn't take it.
The Chu pong stradled the Cambodian /Vietnam border. It was also a major supply line for charlie. For years we would go in find him shoot him up (get shot up ) and leave.
This area can supply scenarios for 7=8 historical years or more if you want to do 75. It was from this area that the communist launched some of thier armour attacks (hwy National 19) into the center of Vietnam 1975. ( this is an example of Mk1 saying that when you get involved in the hobby you start to study the time frame)
John

ShortRound70
E5

Post by ShortRound70 »

JB:

Do you plan on making your "Panzertruppen"/ "Smokin' Charlie" rules available? From your brief description of them, they sound very interesting. Your rules could probably fit any scenario from the DMZ to the Delta. BTW, check the Vietnam Request thread, I had an Idea for GHQ.

jb
E5

Post by jb »

ShortRound70 wrote:JB:

Do you plan on making your "Panzertruppen"/ "Smokin' Charlie" rules available? From your brief description of them, they sound very interesting. Your rules could probably fit any scenario from the DMZ to the Delta. BTW, check the Vietnam Request thread, I had an Idea for GHQ.
SR70 ,yeah one of these days. It seems I'm never satisfied with them. They also seem to "evolve".Like I mentioned in an earlier thread you can always "pile" on real statistics,and give a roll for each,but from experience this has a tendancy of just "bogging" down the game. The real chore is to realise what "happenings" can all be added together into the same roll,and still have a flavor of realism. Like I said my game has evolved over the years,as a matter of fact I use the same mechnism in VN,WWII,modern,and ACW. I can take forces from any of these and game against the other. After all can a .54 cal kill you today?
sorry I was rambling on about this on this thread...
John

ShortRound70
E5

Post by ShortRound70 »

JB wrote
SR70 ,yeah one of these days. It seems I'm never satisfied with them. They also seem to "evolve".Like I mentioned in an earlier thread you can always "pile" on real statistics,and give a roll for each,but from experience this has a tendancy of just "bogging" down the game. The real chore is to realise what "happenings" can all be added together into the same roll,and still have a flavor of realism. Like I said my game has evolved over the years,as a matter of fact I use the same mechnism in VN,WWII,modern,and ACW. I can take forces from any of these and game against the other. After all can a .54 cal kill you today?
sorry I was rambling on about this on this thread...
The "Other Guys Rules" thread is probably where this should go. Anyway, JB, if they are made available, I'd definately check them out. The sound pretty well thought out. Would make a nice addition to GMills', & Mobius" rules. Not bad for an old Cav. Trooper.

jb
E5

"SNAKES"

Post by jb »

Some pictures of "Red " team or Snakes... these are some of my 25 year olds. I haven't replaced the rotors yet. The shark mouth looks "Lumpy" in the picture,but they are not lumpy in the "flesh". I guess the camera picks up stuff the eyes can't...
John

ShortRound70
E5

Post by ShortRound70 »

I may have posted this before, if not check it out:
http://www.gruntonline.com/TheWar/us_army_forces.htm
This will also take you to the Cavalry, Marines, Riverine and Military Police. The site hasn't been updated in a while, but the TOE's are good. So is the relevent info.

ShortRound70
E5

Post by ShortRound70 »

JB:
Have you ever thought of developing a game based on "Operation Pegasus", the 1st Cav. Div., 1st Mar., & ARVN's Route 9 relief column to Khe Sanh in 1968? Was reading an account about it the other night, and thought of your pictures. BTW, I like the decals, can't wait to try them out. :D

jb
E5

Post by jb »

ShortRound70 wrote:JB:
Have you ever thought of developing a game based on "Operation Pegasus", the 1st Cav. Div., 1st Mar., & ARVN's Route 9 relief column to Khe Sanh in 1968? Was reading an account about it the other night, and thought of your pictures. BTW, I like the decals, can't wait to try them out. :D
I was always thinking of doing something about Khe Sahn, but the closest I ever did was the assault on FSB Bucknife...I'm always in the works for a good Vn scenario.
John

ShortRound70
E5

Post by ShortRound70 »

JB:
Maybe somthing "small" like Lang Vei SF camp being overrun, or the fights for Hill 881 South, or Hill 861. A good reference book is The Battle for Khe Sanh by the History and Museums Division, HQMC. Mine has a publish date of 1977, so I don't know if it is available anymore. Lots of stuff that you never read about in the papers back then.

jb
E5

Post by jb »

thomas.tmcc wrote:firebase ripcord or the radio relay station leghorn are good ones too ..
What time frame are these,Thomas?
John